U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 10:48 AM

4,406 posts, read 5,317,471 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a home in the Four Mile Ranch area of Canon City. I've been through the area and most of it is undeveloped. It seems like the economy killed the project mid-stream. I like the house designs and the relative isolation of the development despite its close proximity to town. I'm afraid there are some things I'm not aware of, like some kind of issue with the utilities or something that might have some reason to do with why the development didn't take off or why it's stalled. I've dealt with several realtors in the area over the last 5 years but none of them have been professional enough for me to use, in my opinion, i.e., not helpful, not knowledgeable, doesn't return calls, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Well, I kind of found a possible answer:

Four Mile Ranch, Streets Falling Apart, Developer Does Nothing « Four Mile Ranch News, Canon City Co 81212

Looks like the developer is not a good person and the property is badly maintained. Property values have dropped precipitously and nothing is selling since no one wants the problems.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
IIRC, there is an area near Canon City that was near an old Uranium mill and may be a superfund site, but not sure. It's in one of the threads, you can find it via the search tool.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 PM

486 posts, read 1,234,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I'm considering a home in the Four Mile Ranch area of Canon City. I've been through the area and most of it is undeveloped. It seems like the economy killed the project mid-stream. I like the house designs and the relative isolation of the development despite its close proximity to town. I'm afraid there are some things I'm not aware of, like some kind of issue with the utilities or something that might have some reason to do with why the development didn't take off or why it's stalled. I've dealt with several realtors in the area over the last 5 years but none of them have been professional enough for me to use, in my opinion, i.e., not helpful, not knowledgeable, doesn't return calls, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
okay, i have inside info on Four Mile development so here is what you need to know:

1) it is NOT in the Superfund Site
2) four mile ranch subdivision - what there is of it - is RIGHT next to an "open campus" juvenille offenders compound and the kids escape on a regular basis...
3) there have been some water issues due to the surrounding new golf course
4) yes, down housing market killed this development... the people who invested in the first few homes paid too much and can't even rent them out now.
5) there are soil/settlement issues in the newly built homes at Four Mile Ranch causing cracking foundation & walls

There are many other great deals to be found in Canon City, but be careful where you look! I am not a realtor, but you are correct that the realtors in Canon City leave a lot to be desired.

However, Canon City is a great place and NOW is the time to buy here because the real estate is dirt cheap, but you have to know where to look in town for a solid long-term investment, and unfortunately, Four Mile didn't turn out the way the planners had hoped.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 9,324 times
Where are there good housing or rental prospects for Canon City? Are you able to give more information concerning the juvenile compound? Perhaps the name? How are the employment opportunities?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:37 PM

sesamekid, thanks for the information. I fell in love with the area about 4 years ago partly because it offered so much for so little in comparison to other areas out west and further north. Unfortunately, the idea of living in a city noted for prisons didn't and still doesn't appeal to me. I didn't know about the juvenile facility being near the Four Mile Ranch development, so thanks for that information.

And thanks for backing me up on the realtor situation. I was ready to pay cash for a small house a few years back and I called my newfound Canon City realtor to move the process forward. He had been drinking and slurred his words. He told me that another offer had already been made on it which infuriated me since I had expressly said that was the house I was interested in. Another called me in Arizona where I live now and said she'd send me her contact information via email. I received the email more than ONE YEAR later.

Canon City is a nice small town with apparently the mildest winter weather in the state. But if it's going to be impossible to find professional realtors, why bother? The Four Mile Ranch development was very nice in some ways because it's so different from the rest of town. On the outside, the home designs are modern and appealing. Too bad the developer couldn't get his act together. Arizona shall remain home for a while longer I imagine.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Skinner View Post
Where are there good housing or rental prospects for Canon City? Are you able to give more information concerning the juvenile compound? Perhaps the name? How are the employment opportunities?
Hi Anna,

The name of the juvenile offenders compound: Southern Peaks Regional Treatment Center

it is literally located right IN the Four Mile housing subdivision, see the website here for details:
Cornell Companies: Providing Corrections, Treatment and Educational Services to Government (http://www.cornellcompanies.com/pages/statefacilities/colorado/southernpeakssprtc.html - broken link)

they specialize in mental health & sex offense issues in young offenders.

They are actually hiring right now (if that's the field you are in!)

Most jobs that pay anything in Canon City are government, school or prison jobs with the state or federal gov't. Some jobs in tourism but they don't pay very well. Since this is a big retirment area, elder care jobs are also plentiful.

As for good housing or rental prospects in Canon City: you'll have to give me a little more info on what you are looking for (land, horse property, orchards, close to shopping, close to schools? price range? size? etc.)

again, I'm not a realtor, but i may as well be - I seem to know more about real estate here than the local realtors! LOL

Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
sesamekid, thanks for the information. I fell in love with the area about 4 years ago partly because it offered so much for so little in comparison to other areas out west and further north. Unfortunately, the idea of living in a city noted for prisons didn't and still doesn't appeal to me. I didn't know about the juvenile facility being near the Four Mile Ranch development, so thanks for that information.

And thanks for backing me up on the realtor situation. I was ready to pay cash for a small house a few years back and I called my newfound Canon City realtor to move the process forward. He had been drinking and slurred his words. He told me that another offer had already been made on it which infuriated me since I had expressly said that was the house I was interested in. Another called me in Arizona where I live now and said she'd send me her contact information via email. I received the email more than ONE YEAR later.

Canon City is a nice small town with apparently the mildest winter weather in the state. But if it's going to be impossible to find professional realtors, why bother? The Four Mile Ranch development was very nice in some ways because it's so different from the rest of town. On the outside, the home designs are modern and appealing. Too bad the developer couldn't get his act together. Arizona shall remain home for a while longer I imagine.
you're welcome...

Canon City is indeed an intriguing little place. Multiple prisons, haunted houses, drunken realtors...

There was an on-line French documentary just released today all about the very bizarre and fascinating place that is Canon City, click on the link here to read about it and view the film:
NewsFirst5.com | Colorado Springs news, Colorado Springs weather, Pueblo news, Pueblo weather | Is Canon City "Prison Valley"?

People around here are up in arms because it paints Canon City in such a freakish, negative light.

Personally, I thought it was a pretty compelling film, and i've come to the point where i just embrace the infamous macabre vibe here - it's what makes this place so unique. It's better than fiction!

Bottom line - if you want to live in a truly one-of-a-kind place with a great climate, intriguing history, and very affordable real estate, then you should really consider Canon City.

I mean, how many other small towns in America have international film crews doing documentaries on how wierd they are?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM

upon reflection, i feel i should note that Canon City is not all about gory, depressing prison stuff and gun-toting prison guards (even though the French film definitely gives that impression).

There is a diversity in this town of spirit and experience... a live and let live philosphy that allows mennonites to live right beside bikers, artists right beside vietnam veterans and transvestites who frequent the local Walmart.

Here are a couple of resources to round out the picture a bit more:

Allegria Living Magazine based out of Canon City:
Alegria Living Magazine |Home | Colorado Magazine

Canon Beat, a monthly arts bulletin:
The Cañon Beat - A Monthly Guide to the Arts & Entertainment in Cañon City Colorado and the Surrounding Area

Surprisingly, there are many writers and artists quietly and annonymously living in this area. Something about it just gets the muses going, i suppose.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 9,324 times
sesamekid, thank you for your honesty. I have worked in the health care field for the developmentally disabled ranging in ages from late teen to adult. I have property in the area and am trying to ascertain if working in Canon City and living in the Pueblo area is feasible. I like the fact that there does seem to be a lot of diversity and artists and writers are right down my alley as I have dabbled a bit in both of those hobbies on a purely personal level. I enjoy and appreciate your thoughts and reflections...are you one of those writers that you mention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado