U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:10 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,126,342 times

Advertisements

I've spent many years as a volunteer maintaining hiking trails and now we have come to this..!!! Volunteers usually do most of the maintenance of trails in Colorado as it should be, however, if I have to pay a fee to hike the trails I maintain, then, it may be time to move on to more remote areas..
True, the fee will only be for the 14ers but that will be the camel nose under the tent. It's only expansion after that. And that fee money will go to that bottomless pit called Washington and only a trickle will return....Oh well, maybe that trickle will buy some new trail signs to replace the ones that have withered away at the higher elevations..Hopefully, the US Forest Service will allow a "volunteer" to go up there (which the Forest Service is reluctant to do) and replace them..

Last edited by Chaffeetrekker; 05-15-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: syntax wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,628,549 times
I agree, the pattern is now in place to nickel and dime us for use of the national forest. When are we going to be "taxed" for using the BLM? I'm sure that's next on their agenda. I don't camp in the state run campgrounds anymore due to constantly being badgered about parking, visitors coming over for dinner, quitely singing around the camp fire. RP

Old 05-15-2010, 01:03 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,631,109 times
Thread begins:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
I think CO residents should be excluded in this deal. Charge the out of state folks.
U.S. Forest Service to charge for climbing 14ers - KDVR (http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-mountain-fees-051310,0,1424395.story - broken link)
RP
...but with the subject:

Quote:
What's next, put a tax on firewood?
Charging those who ascend 14ers doesn't affect anyone who doesn't climb the 14ers. Disapprove? Don't climb 14ers and let the gov't know. I know it's land that is supposed to be held in trust for "We the People", but maintenance costs are high, tax revenues are low, and they are only charging the people who use the "service."

This false (and unequivocated) outrage is getting really annoying. At least compare apples to apples.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:33 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,203,998 times
real outdoorsmen can sneak in to any state or federal fee area, just gotta hike a little further and not get sceered of being alone around wild stuff. i've been doing it for years

Old 05-16-2010, 08:25 PM

357 posts, read 1,127,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
real outdoorsmen can sneak in to any state or federal fee area, just gotta hike a little further and not get sceered of being alone around wild stuff. i've been doing it for years
okay now that's just wrong. as a community, we share common areas and are responsible for their care and upkeep. by avoiding the user fees, you're avoiding your share of that care and upkeep. that's wrong and criminal.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:55 PM

7,047 posts, read 6,203,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
okay now that's just wrong. as a community, we share common areas and are responsible for their care and upkeep. by avoiding the user fees, you're avoiding your share of that care and upkeep. that's wrong and criminal.
well just lump me in with illigal emigrants then.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well just lump me in with illigal emigrants then.
only if they're not paying park fees, cuz I know they're paying taxes.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 AM

3,460 posts, read 4,808,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
only if they're not paying park fees, cuz I know they're paying taxes.
That's funny...

Because many are paid under the table, they aren't paying income taxes, SS taxes, or FICA taxes.

Because many are sending income out of the US, they're paying a lower burden than if they spent/invested all that money in the US.

Because many are living 10+ to a household, they don't pay a proportionate share of property tax, but they certainly don't admit to all those household members when they're applying for food stamps, free school lunches, medicaid, etc.

A US citizen bypassing a $3 border doesn't bother me nearly as much as an illegal Mexican national who expects us to pay a thousand times that much to deliver her anchor baby.

* Getting back on topic, the sales taxes on $3K of firewood would add $87 to the state coffers.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 05-17-2010 at 12:56 AM..

Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,631,109 times
Illegal Immigrants...the new Godwin ^_^

I'd rather not have the park fees, but as long as people are so averse to ANY tax increase, there's simply not much more choice.

Everyone hates a tax until it's time to cut THEIR program.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Illegal Immigrants...the new Godwin ^_^
lol exactly. I think glenn beck has cornered the hitler/nazi analogy.

taxes are just the price we pay for living in a society and having a communal space. I wish more people saw things the way you do zenkonami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or