U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:36 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,733,966 times

Advertisements

CS, Zen4all is in Texas, and compared to Texas Colorado is expensive. However, Compared to everywhere else in the country Colorado is not expensive. I live in Atlanta now after making the mistake of leaving CO and housing prices down here are about the same if not a little more expensive the CO and all I ever hear from people moving here is how cheap it is. I pay more then when I lived in Denver for a comperable place but people moving from New England, the Midwest or the West Coast all are paying much less then before.

Long story short: CO is expensive compared to Texas, compared to the rest of the country its cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 186,107 times
I just wanted to add my two cents about the traffic in Colorado Springs. It is horrendous during rush hour or on the weekends. Maybe not comparible to DC traffic but its also not as big a city either. Other than that I think you could find a nice, humble abode for 250 K ... notice I say humble. It all depends on your taste and what your needs are. I lived just outside of Colorado Spgs in Woodland Park and recently moved to Maryland. My husband got a job here and so we moved. I would say that weather wise you can't beat Colorado Springs. Its very mild in the summer, very low humidity which I miss! The winters in the Springs are mild as well. Woodland Park would get cold and we got lots of snow but we were 8500 ft above sea level. All in all a very nice place to live and work but not perfect just like any other place in the world. Except for maybe a tropical island somewhere but then you wouldn't have many shopping malls. Take it from someone who has lived many places, including Alaska, Colorado ain't bad!

Old 08-07-2006, 11:56 PM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Default The highway problem is being fixed

There is some congestion on I-25 in-town, largely due to all the road-improvement work going on now (aka COSMIX). When done, it will improve the flow nicely. I see no need to be negative about our city because one highway is having problems. Temporary situation.

Until then, alternative routes will get you around I-25 through the center of town, use mapquest and find them.

Truth is, there is only one north-south interstate highway serving the Front Range, i.e., I-25. It is ancient. Most exits and on-ramps are obsolete, mostly its just 2 lanes in each direction, and as such will experience delays all along the corridor, not just in Colorado Springs.

When hundreds of thousands of people hit I-25 on summer weekends with RV's, boats, horse trailers, moving vans, campers, ski-do trailers, tow trucks, oversize mobile home loads, U-hauls, gasoline tankers, Army Reserve convoys, roach coaches, commercial trucks, gypsy caravans, church buses, construction cranes, and the Oscar Mayer Weiner-Mobile, there will be slowdowns - from Pueblo to Cheyenne, WY.

s/Mike

Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 AM

1,779 posts, read 6,829,046 times
Once again, I think this shows that traffic and housing costs are relative. When we moved here to Salt Lake for grad school last year, it was like a huge weight was off our shoulders. It was so easy to drive and houses were so cheap.

Yet I have heard from several people how they could never live here because of the traffic.

As for using the adventure line -- I already spent that bit of "political capital" when we lived in DC for 4 years. I think the reality of job offers and corresponding pay might help make the choice for us.

Hopefully I'll get some interviews to send me out and we can check the place out for ourselves.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 AM

20,310 posts, read 37,810,444 times
Coolcats, if you lived in DC for 4 years, you've SEEN traffic.

We lived in Fairfax County, VA for about 30 years before fleeing in 2005. It has the second-worst traffic in the nation, per a study done by a highway group out of TX. Believe me, we know what's it's like to get up at 4AM every workday to go those 30 miles into DC, hitting the road at 5:30AM to beat the worst of the traffic. Life there is spent with an eye always on how to beat the traffic, 7 days a week, no matter where you want to go. The all-news radio station gives traffic reports every ten minutes....its like a war zone.

There are some people here in Colorado Springs who gripe about the traffic, but these people don't have a clue what real traffic, or "combat driving," are all about. When I meet these locals face to face and they complain, I always tell them what's its like elsewhere.

As far as I'm concerned, Colorado Springs is the promised land compared to the housing prices and gridlock of Northern Virginia.

s/Mike

Old 08-08-2006, 01:49 PM

1,779 posts, read 6,829,046 times
Default Fairfax County

Yes actually I lived in Fairfax County also and did the 25 mile commute in to the city. Id rather go 50 or even 75 miles a day in a place with no congestion than have to deal with that again.

The place is nice enough if you get paid a lot of money and you dont have to drive very far. On a mid-level government salary its a whole different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or