U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,136,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Avoiding tobacco isn't a factor.

Acute mountain sickness: influence of susceptibility, preexp... : Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise

Exercising at altitude is a factor.

http://***.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/88/2/581

People who have had radial keratotomy corrective eye surgery should not go to high altitudes because their vision may permanently cloud.

FMSO Document - Ground Combat at High Altitude
Awww, heck, just when I was thinking it was conclusive.

And here's another article stating that advanced age actually makes you less susceptible to AMS:

Awareness, prevalence, medication use, and risk fa... [High Alt Med Biol. 2004] - PubMed result

Would you like change your stance to agree with that one Kat?

In case it's not clear, I'm not saying that athletes are immune to AMS or anything... Simply that health and fitness play a role. People who are out of shape or very elderly can get overly exerted more easily. People who smoke and drink heavily will also tire easily and have a hard time coping with AMS when it sets in. Similarly, if people of different age and health levels get AMS, the effects will be much more debilitating in an infant or someone really old (I'm talking, like 90) or morbidly obese than in someone who is young and fit and healthy. I'm not trying to degrade anyone who is old or out of shape, I'm just relating what I have seen, first hand. In fact, the only time I have seen or heard of it going the opposite way (besides on college whiteboards or old weblinks) is when young and fit people come up here, really overconfident, and get themselves good and sick on the first day by going way too hard like they're at sea level without even trying to acclimate. But I don't have any nifty weblinks or obscure quotations on hand to 'prove' it, so yeah, it's just my experience.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 PM

85,195 posts, read 99,439,539 times
Why are you getting so hostile, treedonkey? What stance are you talking about? You are the one who brought up the tobacco use, not me.

From your link:

We found no relationship between AMS and smoking habits, body mass index, oral contraception intake, or training status. By contrast, age was a strong independent risk factor inversely related to AMS. Subjects over 55 yr were 2.6 times less likely to suffer from AMS than subjects under 25 yr.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,818,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why are you getting so hostile, treedonkey?
I don't see it as hostile. I believe he was asking you if you wanted to reconsider your argument that age isn't a factor in AMS. The link he posted proved that you were wrong.

Quote:
age was a strong independent risk factor inversely related to AMS

Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM

85,195 posts, read 99,439,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I don't see it as hostile. I believe he was asking you if you wanted to reconsider your argument that age isn't a factor in AMS. The link he posted proved that you were wrong.
Maybe you should let him answer. So one source says age is a factor, one says it isn't. I'm not sure that makes my source wrong, any more than it makes his right. His was based on one study of mountain climbers.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,818,161 times
Quote:
Maybe you should let him answer. So one source says age is a factor, one says it isn't. I'm not sure that makes my source wrong, any more than it makes his right. His was based on one study of mountain climbers.
Are you seriously telling me that your googled source posted by some guy who didn't even list his education or a decent set of citations is just as credible as the literature in PubMed?

If you'd like to have a discussion regarding the physiological reasons for altitude sickness in a separate thread, I'd be more than happy to oblige, but I think this one has gone off topic far enough.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,136,553 times
Quote:
Why are you getting so hostile, treedonkey?
huh???

If you thought that was hostile, then maybe we should just let it lie.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:25 AM

20,406 posts, read 38,008,258 times
"Let it lie" is exactly what we're going to do. This thread is closed, we've long since answered the OP's inquiry.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado