U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,751 times

Advertisements

Hopefully there's some of both here. A buddy of mine is coming into town for an upcoming weekend. Both mountain bikers and camping. I just moved here, so I don't know any good camping spots yet.

But does anyone know of a good camping spot where you can bike out of and find some good trails?

Thanks,
Nathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 AM

695 posts, read 1,655,539 times
The answers to your questions will require a bit more info. In what part of the state are you located, and how far do you want to drive? How big a ride do you wish to take and at what skill level? Things are slowly melting out at higher elevations, so new possibilities are opening up on a weekly basis. How soon will this camping trip take place?

Another place to request this type of info is the MTBR.com Colorado Mountain Bike discussion forum. Lots of knowledgeable riders there with tons of good info. (I am known as "sgltrak" over there)

Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
Fruita is a good choice if you don't mind the drive. You can stay at Highline State Park in Loma and have a plethora of trails pretty close by.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Ahh good point, details would help

I'm located in Arvada, so I don't mind a 2 hour drive out or so. Skill level is 7 or 8 out of 10 lets say, probably just looking for about a 10-15 mile trail or two. The trip will be on memorial day weekend, so in about 2 more weeks.

Thanks for the link, I always forget about mtbr!!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Fruita is a good choice if you don't mind the drive. You can stay at Highline State Park in Loma and have a plethora of trails pretty close by.
Lol ouch, had to google Fruita, that one might be a little far for this trip. But thanks for the info. I've heard Fruita has a lot of good biking.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jncev View Post
But does anyone know of a good camping spot where you can bike out of and find some good trails?
You'll have to narrow it down some more. Got any specific areas in mind?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 AM

695 posts, read 1,655,539 times
Quote:
Ahh good point, details would help

I'm located in Arvada, so I don't mind a 2 hour drive out or so. Skill level is 7 or 8 out of 10 lets say, probably just looking for about a 10-15 mile trail or two. The trip will be on memorial day weekend, so in about 2 more weeks.

Thanks for the link, I always forget about mtbr!!
I have heard great things about the abundance of riding at Buffalo Creek from several sources, and look forward to heading out there in the near future. That would be my suggestion. Elevation is low enough that you should not run into the snow that still covers many higher trails, and not too far away. Being a holiday weekend, it may be difficult to get a campsite, so go early or find a way to reserve.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/publications/buffcrk.pdf

Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
Quote:
Lol ouch, had to google Fruita, that one might be a little far for this trip. But thanks for the info. I've heard Fruita has a lot of good biking.
Even if you don't get a chance to go out there with your friend, I highly suggest making a trip to Fruita if you love to bike. It has some amazing trails! I would go either in the spring or fall though, as summer is pretty hot. I would say Fruita has biking equivalent to Moab, but without the crowds of Moab. I lived in the area for about 7 years and I definitely miss the biking in Fruita!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 PM

447 posts, read 1,391,072 times
I just started a thread on McInnis Canyons near Fruita/Grand Junction........I know that's far but you might want to keep an eye on it........Hopefully I get some good responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado