U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 AM

447 posts, read 1,391,072 times

Advertisements

So was thinking about just making a quick trip from Summit Co. to McInnis Canyons this weekend instead of driving all the way to Moab.......I have a couple of questions from you people that have been there or live in the Grand Junction area that know about this park.

I like to 4x4 and Hike.....and by hike I prefer longer 5-10 mile hikes.......I don't Mtn. Bike (but feel free to post information as it may be helpful to others)

Are there long/cool enough trails to 4x4 on or should I just go back to Moab???...also where is a good location to Camp.......I don't need toilets or showers, actually prefer more dispersed camping.

Anyone with any info or links please feel free to post.

- Thanks in advance

Last edited by breaksraver13; 05-18-2010 at 12:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
No 4 x 4s or bikes are allowed on the McInnis Canyon trails. The trails are primarily for hiking and horse back riding. There are many options to create 10 mile loop hikes. The scenery is spectacular, similar to Moab on a smaller scale. Moab has a better selection of 4 X 4 options and you can stay at the Lazy Lizard Hostel with toilets and showers....very inexpensively.

PS: If you decide to go to Moab, take I-70 to Cisco and get on to Utah 128 over to Moab. It's a spectacular drive with several excellent hiking options along the way. I especially recommend the hike into Fisher Towers. I believe the road to the trailhead is somewhere around milepost 21 on UT 128. I just hiked it again this past weekend and it was fantastic! I highly recommend it. Another great hike is Negro Bill Canyon about 18 miles further down the road toward Moab. Both of these very moderately strenuous hikes are about 5 miles round trip.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-18-2010 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
No 4 x 4s or bikes are allowed on the McInnis Canyon trails. The trails are primarily for hiking and horse back riding. There are many options to create 10 mile loop hikes. The scenery is spectacular, similar to Moab on a smaller scale. Moab has a better selection of 4 X 4 options and you can stay at the Lazy Lizard Hostel with toilets and showers....very inexpensively.

PS: If you decide to go to Moab, take I-70 to Cisco and get on to Utah 128 over to Moab. It's a spectacular drive with several excellent hiking options along the way. I especially recommend the hike into Fisher Towers. I believe the road to the trailhead is somewhere around milepost 21 on UT 128. I just hiked it again this past weekend and it was fantastic! I highly recommend it. Another great hike is Negro Bill Canyon about 18 miles further down the road toward Moab. Both of these very moderately strenuous hikes are about 5 miles round trip.
That's the route that I always take into Moab.......have seen both of those on the way in......a co-worker highly recommended the Negro Bill trail

Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,517 times
If you wish to get a bit of four wheeling in Mcinnis visit Rattlesnake Arches in Rattlesnake Canyon. Directions are available on line I believe or you can get information from the rack at the BLM office in GJ. The last 11 -13 miles are dirt and the last three or so miles, while not necessarily needing 4X4 I would never take a car down due to clearance issues. The hike to the arches is about 5 1/2 miles out and back and is thought to be second only to Arches NP in number of arches. You will not meet many people, Bring your own water and primitive camping is allowed at the fence where the descent into Rattlesnake canyon begins. If you wish to walk from that point you have an 11 1/2 mile hike. Also, if you aren't daunted by steep sandstone and exposure, you need not hike out and back on the rattlesnake trail. The last arch is more climbable than it appears. You may also choose to walk along the relatively flat ridge and look down into several "porthole" arches.

Having said that, at the junction where Rattlesnake raod veers off to the right you can turn to the right on your way out and go a couple of miles to the Mee Canyon trail head. The hike is not long hut there is some exposure where the trail is only about 18" wide but Mee Canyon holds the largest known alcove in Americe

Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks! I love exposed hikes, I do 13er and 14ers here.......that sounds awesome.........Now I have a tough decision......I had decided last night that we were going to go to Onion Creek and hike Fisher Towers and 4x4 around Hwy 128.....Now I don't know, lol!......I have read about the rattlesnake area thanks for more info on it!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Hey, is that the Upper/Lower access road I keep reading about???????

Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
breaksaver13 wrote:
Thanks! I love exposed hikes, I do 13er and 14ers here.......that sounds awesome.........Now I have a tough decision......I had decided last night that we were going to go to Onion Creek and hike Fisher Towers and 4x4 around Hwy 128.....Now I don't know, lol!......I have read about the rattlesnake area thanks for more info on it!
You got a tough decision to make, but rest assurred whichever option you choose will be a good one. If you had an extra day you could do both of them while you are over this way. I did the Rattlesnake 4X4 drive and hike with a frined last spring and it too was fantastic. The hike however seemed shorter than 5 1/2 miles, more like 1 1/2 - 2 miles each way from the parking area at the end of the 4x4 route. The 4x4 drive to the trailhead took longer than the hike itself!

There is a 14 mile round trip hike to Rattlesnake Arches from the parking lot at the Pollack Bench trail head that requires no 4X4 driving. If you decide to do the Rattlesnake trip, be sure to visit The Hot Tomato Cafe in Fruita for a pizza and beer reward following your hike.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM

see post below.......I keep screwing up with the image.....sorry

Last edited by breaksraver13; 05-19-2010 at 11:43 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM

So we can camp at the end of Upper Bench Road, I think it is?

here is the map that I have

Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,517 times
I just reread Cosmic Wizard's reply and must address three fallacies. First, the McInnis NCA has many miles of designated mountain bike trails. In fact within the 270,000 acre NCA the 133 mile Kokapelli's bike trail's eastern terminal is in the NCA. The NCA has easy trails such as Mary's Loop and highly technical trails such as Moore fun which is littered with good parts turned into expensive trash. I know of riders that have blown out front suspensions, potato chipped wheels, busted chain rings. The list goes on and on.

Four wheeling and ATV enthusiasts have the Rabbit Valley and environs to enjoy. Some Rabbit Valley trails are open to all forms of travel and others are restricted for good reasons to ATV, motorbike, mountain bikes, or foot travel only.

I write this not as a criticism but to let other readers know that the McInnis NCA has something for everyone. I live in Fruita and have adopted some of the trails and do trail construction. Come and enjoy! people from around the world come here to bike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado