Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:33 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times

Advertisements

Although the Grand Junction City Council would like to think it is striving to be cosmopolitan, um, NOT!

80's Keys comments are right. Speaking of Cabela's, I'm not going to touch Mesa Mall till the crowds recede a tad, but Cabela's is good about promotion. In fact, the Daily Sentinel gave them a thumbs up in their Friday editorial. Still, I bring my money to Gene Taylor's, I've shopped with them for decades.

And IMO if anybody is going to move it might be Sportsmens Warehouse, east of the mall. Sportmens Warehouse have closed down close to twnty of their stores, but that was well over a year ago. I'm sure they are looking at Cabela's closely. It was a little surprising to see Cabela's hook up with a shopping mall, I've been in a couple of their other stores. According to the editorial, Cabela's had hired close to 200 people, that's a fair amount of payroll. Still, Mesa mall lobbied to get them in there as Mervyn's has been gone for a long time now.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-23-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
I don't understand why GJ would not be somewhat of a cosmopolitan city as 150,000 is not a small town and it is the largest city on the western slope. So I would think it would be a center for culture and entertainment for the region.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I don't understand why GJ would not be somewhat of a cosmopolitan city as 150,000 is not a small town and it is the largest city on the western slope. So I would think it would be a center for culture and entertainment for the region.
Grand Junction is every bit as "cosmopolitan" as, well, Pueblo. Fact is, that most everyplace in Colorado, aside from the Denver-Boulder metroplex and the netherworld of the fancy resorts, would be considered a "hick town" by those "sophisticates" from the East or Left Coasts. A lot of them think of Denver as an overgrown cow town, as well. That's fine with me. Colorado's greatest asset is its natural beauty--and that alone--not all the social trappings of being the "in" place. Leave that for dumps like New York City.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Seems rather weird to come across a statement with Grand Junction and cosmopolitan in the same sentence. Putting them together is a genuine oxymoron.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think 150,000 is exaggeration. Maybe including the surrounding area including all the farmland, ranches, and rural areas (which there's a lot of), but the town itself seems a lot less than that.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
The population of Grand Junction city limits is closer to 50,000 than 150,000. 150,000 is the approximate population of Grand Junction and the surrounding area including all the farmland, ranches, and rural areas

Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
GJ a big hick town?? I don`t think so. You need to check out the rural south and then you`ll know what a hick town is.

You`ve got so many people that are from big cities the live in GJ now. I wouldn`t consider them hicks. Nor would I consider most of the locals here hicks.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times
Thankfully, neither GJ nor COS are plagued with all the blight that comes with the "big city." At least not yet.

I'd much rather be considered a small-town hick than a big-city cosmopolitan. I'm guessing that in their day, the depraved, anything-goes citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah were considered "cosmopolitan" too.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:58 PM

22 posts, read 67,950 times
"Colorado's greatest asset is its natural beauty--and that alone--not all the social trappings of being the "in" place. Leave that for dumps like New York City."
.... my thoughts exactly.

80skeys, I checked out Crossroads Park apts., they look just fine! Nice open area and I really like the hills and trails in the back. I could see myself hiking or taking a motorcycle up them if I move there.

I can't believe you guys have a Cabelas AND a Sportsmans Warehouse!!! Seriously, I have to drive about an hour and a half to get to a Bass Pro shop....and that's all I got!
...so jealous right now.

Really tho, can there EVER be enough 4x4 trucks??..heh. I say a firm, no! Same with farmland, ranches, rural areas....and of course, bacon.

So I'm thinking it's safe to say GJ is not cosmopolitan...thankfully.
Anybody with any info regarding Colorado Springs feel free to chime in. I'm really liking everything so far that I hear about GJ.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRiderJohnny View Post

80skeys, I checked out Crossroads Park apts., they look just fine! Nice open area and I really like the hills and trails in the back.
Plus when you sign a lease they give you a free membership at Crossroads Gym across the street, and it's a nice gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado