U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRiderJohnny View Post
"
Anybody with any info regarding Colorado Springs feel free to chime in. I'm really liking everything so far that I hear about GJ.
Colorado Springs is nothing but a surburban city between Denver and Pueblo. Its nice and has nice things to do and if you like the surburban lifestyle then its for you. However, if you like more of a urban atmosphear then its not for you.

About GJ. I had thought the city was larger, if its only about 50,000 people then that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:48 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,652,297 times
Quote:
So I'm thinking it's safe to say GJ is not cosmopolitan...thankfully.
Anybody with any info regarding Colorado Springs feel free to chime in. I'm really liking everything so far that I hear about GJ.
Colorado Springs has the flavor of several different towns, depending where you're at. There's the old, run-down sections in south-central, with tiny 50s era craftsman houses running the gamut from falling-down to renovated and tastefully redone...often right next to each other. And there are active knife and gun clubs meeting in that part of town knifing and shooting each other...the farm teams for the real gangs in Aurora and Pueblo. There's the western foothills, where deer play...in traffic...and treat your landscaping as either lunch or a toilet, or both. There's the northern sprawl-burbs, epitomized by a place called Cordera, where you can live in an overpriced house that covers 80% of your tiny lot and pay $hundreds per month to an HOA just to say that you belong. There's the eastern plains, where you can buy a cookie-cutter house in a cookie-cutter subdivision sprouting up from the desert alpine scrublands like earth-tone kudzu with attitude.

But...the people here are great, very conservative-minded, and you're close to all the mountains have to offer. The weather is comparatively mild (for Colorado)...we get lots of sunshine, even in the winter, low snowfall, and it's dry. Pike's Peak seems to shield the COS area from the worst weather...both north and south of us on the front range there's much heavier weather in winter and summer. There's access to most of the things you need a city for...good hospitals and specialty medical care, great schools for kids, several local universities, etc. We have low taxes, a fairly low cost of living, and an electorate that shuns endless taxation for endless benefits to the lame and the lazy. We're one of the most physically fit communities in the country, with an abundance of quality gyms and health clubs to choose from, in addition to hiking, biking, and other healthy outdoor activities. We have low to moderate (at rush hour) traffic, and the air is clean. And whatever city stuff we lack can be found in Denver, located just far enough north of here (~1 hour) to keep its big-city problems to itself.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
But...the people here are great, very conservative-minded, and you're close to all the mountains have to offer. We have low taxes, a fairly low cost of living, and an electorate that shuns endless taxation for endless benefits to the lame and the lazy.
Colorado Springs, also, has basic services being cut. This is from the Denver Post:

This tax-averse city is about to learn what it looks and feels like when budget cuts slash services most Americans consider part of the urban fabric.

The link: Colorado Springs cuts into services considered basic by many - The Denver Post

Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,234,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The two cities are in the same state and have some mountains nearby--otherwise they are not very comparable. Colorado Springs has a plains/foothills climate, Grand Junction is out on the desert. Grand Junction's economy is centered on energy, retirement, and some government employment; Colorado Springs lives and dies on tourism, the military and some high-tech--much of that military-oriented. Colorado Springs is a fairly large metro area of around 400,000; Grand Junction is a small metro area of about 160,000. Because of all the military influence on the economy, Colorado Springs' economy tends to be more stable than Grand Junction's. Grand Junction has come to live and die on the energy industry, and that is slumping now. It is possible to find good hunting and fishing areas within a half-day's drive of both--but you won't have them to yourself in either place, unless you are willing to get off of the beaten track. Grand Junction is better than the Springs in that regard, but the gap is narrowing. Neither is a good place to be unless you have a job in hand before you move there. And, especially in Grand Junction, living costs are high compared to local incomes, though other areas of western Colorado are even worse in that regard.

If hunting and fishing are your priority, Wyoming and Montana offer better opportunities for that than most anywhere in Colorado--but finding a job is no easy feat there, either.
I agree with your post but Colorado Metro region is well over 640,000 people.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:33 PM

22 posts, read 52,900 times
"Colorado Springs has the flavor of several different towns, depending where you're at. There's the old, run-down sections in south-central, with tiny 50s era craftsman houses running the gamut from falling-down to renovated and tastefully redone...often right next to each other. And there are active knife and gun clubs meeting in that part of town knifing and shooting each other...the farm teams for the real gangs in Aurora and Pueblo. There's the western foothills, where deer play...in traffic...and treat your landscaping as either lunch or a toilet, or both. There's the northern sprawl-burbs, epitomized by a place called Cordera, where you can live in an overpriced house that covers 80% of your tiny lot and pay $hundreds per month to an HOA just to say that you belong. There's the eastern plains, where you can buy a cookie-cutter house in a cookie-cutter subdivision sprouting up from the desert alpine scrublands like earth-tone kudzu with attitude.

But...the people here are great, very conservative-minded, and you're close to all the mountains have to offer. The weather is comparatively mild (for Colorado)...we get lots of sunshine, even in the winter, low snowfall, and it's dry. Pike's Peak seems to shield the COS area from the worst weather...both north and south of us on the front range there's much heavier weather in winter and summer. There's access to most of the things you need a city for...good hospitals and specialty medical care, great schools for kids, several local universities, etc. We have low taxes, a fairly low cost of living, and an electorate that shuns endless taxation for endless benefits to the lame and the lazy. We're one of the most physically fit communities in the country, with an abundance of quality gyms and health clubs to choose from, in addition to hiking, biking, and other healthy outdoor activities. We have low to moderate (at rush hour) traffic, and the air is clean. And whatever city stuff we lack can be found in Denver, located just far enough north of here (~1 hour) to keep its big-city problems to itself.[/quote]

Thanks Bob!...this is just what I needed to hear. To be honest, I don't even like the word "urban".. The less, the better. COS doesn't really seem like a city to me...which is good.
Most importantly tho... how's the upland game bird hunting?? And how far do you have to go to hunt those playful deer?

Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
In an earlier post I mentioned that GJ is not a cosmopolitan city and now I feel compelled to state that GJ is by no means a hick town either. IMO, It's a great small town for outdoor lovers of all stripes.

Not only do we have Cabelas, and Sportsman Warehoues, but also REI, Summit Canyon & Mountaineering, and Gene Taylors, come to mind. There may also be others stores of a similar nature that I'm just not familiar with.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
In an earlier post I mentioned that GJ is not a cosmopolitan city and now I feel compelled to state that GJ is by no means a hick town either. IMO, It's a great small town for outdoor lovers of all stripes.

Not only do we have Cabelas, and Sportsman Warehoues, but also REI, Summit Canyon & Mountaineering, and Gene Taylors, come to mind. There may also be others stores of a similar nature that I'm just not familiar with.
All Grand Junction needs now is a Tractor Supply Company store and it will be positiviely citified.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Thanks Bob!...this is just what I needed to hear. To be honest, I don't even like the word "urban".. The less, the better. COS doesn't really seem like a city to me...which is good.
Most importantly tho... how's the upland game bird hunting?? And how far do you have to go to hunt those playful deer?
Bob's decription is pretty fair, but Colorado Springs is a metro city, no question about that. It has all of the sprawl and urban problems of any city of comparable size. Just because it sits next to mountains doesn't change that. L.A. is near mountains, too.

Really, that is the Colorado conundrum--zillions of people want to move here to enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, mountains, etc., but nearly all of them who actually do manage to relocate wind up living in one of the metro blobs because that is where the jobs are. A few of us have managed not to have to do that, but probably only about 1 out of 100 manage to pull it off for more than a few years.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Colorado Springs, also, has basic services being cut. This is from the Denver Post:

This tax-averse city is about to learn what it looks and feels like when budget cuts slash services most Americans consider part of the urban fabric.

The link: Colorado Springs cuts into services considered basic by many - The Denver Post
I'm proud that we've actually tightened our belts, pulled back spending and told the city council to go pound sand on new taxes to support $53 million payoffs under the table to the USOC and budgets that were planned based on endless exponential growth that didn't happen (thank God!)

And we're not suffering a bit having done that...except maybe for some of the aforementioned lame and lazy. The rest of the panhandlers and grifters are headed your way...they hear your arms are open and better yet, you're buying.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Colorado Springs has its urban areas, but not that many and not that big. From what I'm reading here, you might like the rural environs 30 miles out east of here, like Ellicott, Yoder, Rush etc. I moved to the city here because I'm retired and do not want to move ever again...and I know that being close to decent medical care becomes an issue as one gets older. My next home is going to be of either the nursing or funeral variety.

There's great bird hunting on the eastern plains, especially of you go an hour or more east to the great midwestern grain fields. The trick is to get to know someone that knows someone to get an invite to go onto some of the fields after harvest. The quail and pheasant hunting out by Limon was fantastic last year. Varmint shooting for prairie dogs is another wonderful pastime on the eastern plains. They make such a pretty pink cloud when I hit 'em with my scoped 25.06!

As for deer, I'm not so much a big game guy anymore, so I can't give an informed opinion. If you ask Josseppie I'm sure that he will, as is his style, be happy to give you a grossly uninformed one. Elk hunting is huge here (Colorado has the largest elk population in the world).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado