U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,424,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Well personally, I hope it grows nowhere close to 250K. My concept of growth is a couple hundred people a year. I don't want to see GJ become a city of a quarter million people. IMO, that would be a negative change. Rather than a cancerous growth of that nature, I actually prefer jazzlovers scenario of a steady population....or even a loss of population.

I don't think the city will top 250,000 people but the MSA and right now that is about 150,000 so that is only 100,000 people in the next 20 years.

Don't you think it would help the western slope to have one decent size city for shopping, medical needs, etc. I always see posts from people who say the disadvantage to the western slope is that they are so isolated, even from people who then say any growth is bad. Having one city that is of decent size yet not huge like Denver would go a long way in changing that making life better for everyone who lives on the western slope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

20,381 posts, read 37,949,187 times
Let's get back ON TOPIC of the differences between COLO SPGS and GRAND JUNCTION, else I'll close this thread too. Discussions of MSA's and how big any town might get are not relative to the OP's inquiry.

If there's nothing left to say, then let's close it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:36 PM

That actually is a difference. How big will GJ grow in the next 20 years versus how big Colorado Springs will grow. I would like to have that information if I was to move into a area to know what to expect in the future to help decide if that is the kind of city I want to live in.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That actually is a difference. How big will GJ grow in the next 20 years versus how big Colorado Springs will grow. I would like to have that information if I was to move into a area to know what to expect in the future to help decide if that is the kind of city I want to live in.
I agree that projected growth based on data is relevant, but projections without data are irrelevant as they amount to nothing more than cheerleading further destruction of the environment which is a sensitive topic to many of the people who live in areas like Grand Junction.

Staying on topic, it's my experience that people who live in Colorado Springs (or anywhere along the front range) tend to favor growth more than people from Grand Junction or other areas on the western half of the state.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Staying on topic, it's my experience that people who live in Colorado Springs (or anywhere along the front range) tend to favor growth more than people from Grand Junction or other areas on the western half of the state.
That is a interesting point.

So if the OP, or anyone for that matter, wanted to move into a city that was growing and expected major growth I would suggest Colorado Springs. On the opposite side if a person wanted to live in a small town that had some amenities of a city yet did not want future growth to be significant then GJ would be the town to move to. I guess that is why Colorado Springs and the front range is in the top 5 fastest growing corridors in the country and not much is said about GJ.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,663,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post

Count me (and a lot of Colorado Springs residents) in as an exception to that rule. I would prefer that future overflow go live in Pueblo.

There's growth, and there's that special kind of growth classified as malignant. I say let the clueless revel in the fact that they have terminal social cancer. I'll send some sour onions to the wake.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-27-2010 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM

16,217 posts, read 20,260,980 times
One of the things I appreciate about this area (and one of the reasons I moved here) is you can travel in all four directions and "get away", where you really can't do that in Colorado Springs. I agree with 80's keys regarding the fishing issue as it can be hit or miss around here at times but you do have quite a bit to choose from, particularly Grand Mesa where you have dozens of lakes.

I like going a little further. Blue Mesa reservoir is about two hours southeast of Junction and is one of the top rec areas in the state. Another is Silverjack reservoir, southeast of Montrose. And two others that I really like is Miramonte and Groundhog reservoirs, about two and a half hours south and west of Junction. With Colorado Springs, you primarily go west with Spinney, Eleven Mile, Rampart, and Tarryall reservoirs.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-27-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado