U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Staring at Mt. Meeker
220 posts, read 701,597 times
Reputation: 248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
^ Monsters! KILL IT!!

I agree with the co-exist comment, but then again, I'm not much of one to think "they dug a hold in 'my' yard, kill em!" while sipping a bud light in a lawn chair next to my old Ford on blocks.
I think that guy lives around here. Has a big set of hanging balls on his trailer hitch. He's quite the number...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 PM
 
64 posts, read 265,247 times
Reputation: 43
Default pairiedogs

Anyone see where all the pairiedogs went. We live on the north side and all in seen today is two dogs. I think they died during the hibernation period. I know last winter they were digging for roots before going into hibernation. When spring came only two were seen and now they are gone. I'm glad to see them disappear. I know at some point they be back but I hope it takes them 100 years. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,108 posts, read 4,669,261 times
Reputation: 5389
Hope it wasn't the plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 01:23 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,710 posts, read 21,527,400 times
Reputation: 13320
It is the plague on some occasions. Read your PW View and there's an article about it. Some folks living just west of Walmart are having a heck of time with them rats now.

We had a number of holes with active rats a few years ago, then they just disappeared and the holes filled in with dust. But they do come back eventually. I have a pellet gun which can get to the edge of our property with ease and it seems they know to stay out of range, but recently, some have come back. I've been putting kitty litter in their holes to try to keep them out now. I have yet to hit one of them rats with my pellet gun and I'm careful not to shoot at anything with a questionable backstop. Homes have filled in behind our property now and shooting at them is becoming less of an option. I would think 22s and .17s should be not a consideration, but in that PW article, some folks are hearing the ricochet of lead, which is a bad thing. That's dangerous. I figure a pellet gun could break a window or put out an eye, which is bad enough.

I think PETA should come in and "adopt" the herd...as well as a few rabbits... but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 PM
 
9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It is the plague on some occasions. Read your PW View and there's an article about it. Some folks living just west of Walmart are having a heck of time with them rats now.

We had a number of holes with active rats a few years ago, then they just disappeared and the holes filled in with dust. But they do come back eventually. I have a pellet gun which can get to the edge of our property with ease and it seems they know to stay out of range, but recently, some have come back. I've been putting kitty litter in their holes to try to keep them out now. I have yet to hit one of them rats with my pellet gun and I'm careful not to shoot at anything with a questionable backstop. Homes have filled in behind our property now and shooting at them is becoming less of an option. I would think 22s and .17s should be not a consideration, but in that PW article, some folks are hearing the ricochet of lead, which is a bad thing. That's dangerous. I figure a pellet gun could break a window or put out an eye, which is bad enough.

I think PETA should come in and "adopt" the herd...as well as a few rabbits... but that's just me.
Pellet guns can and do kill people, I can think of a number of cases. Some .22 pellet rifles now can carry the same or more energy than a 22lr rifle round. So having a good back stop is very important.

I would think trapping would make more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Status: "I voted!" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,284 posts, read 3,966,935 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Anyone see where all the pairiedogs went. We live on the north side and all in seen today is two dogs. I think they died during the hibernation period. I know last winter they were digging for roots before going into hibernation. When spring came only two were seen and now they are gone. I'm glad to see them disappear. I know at some point they be back but I hope it takes them 100 years. Any ideas?
Where are you located? I can tell you that the prairie dog is alive and well in Cortez. The little buggers are everywhere! A friend who lives on the outskirts of Cortez has a prairie dog town that looks like it has a population of a hundred or so.

Bring back the coyote and encourage the hawks and eagles to increase their numbers. That's the only solution I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 AM
 
Location: The 719
13,710 posts, read 21,527,400 times
Reputation: 13320
I do believe there is some kind of ferret that can do the job as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Aurora
357 posts, read 1,125,047 times
Reputation: 277
prairie dogs are part of the environment. if you don't like them, why live on the prairie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:40 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,622,802 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Bring back the coyote and encourage the hawks and eagles to increase their numbers. That's the only solution I know.
Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
1,627 posts, read 3,622,802 times
Reputation: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
prairie dogs are part of the environment. if you don't like them, why live on the prairie?
"Oh, what a nice place, here on the plains...PRARIE DOGS? DISGUSTING! GET RID OF THEM! THEY ARE RUINING MY PERFECT, PRISTINE VISION OF COLORADO!"

Sometimes I want to move to wherever some other people are from and suggest desecrating something local simply because I don't like it and it's not the way we do things "back home." Local wildlife, forests, historic sites and battlegrounds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top