Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
prairie dogs are part of the environment. if you don't like them, why live on the prairie?
Unfortunately, the natural predators that keep prairie dog populations under control have been nearly eliminated in some places--the black footed ferret being an example. The result is severe prairie dog overpopulation. Nature takes care of that in a very ugly and unpleasant way--bubonic plague.

The same boneheads who move out into rural areas and ***** about the prairie dogs are the same ones who freak out if their predators show up--rattlesnakes, foxes, coyotes and mountain lions, to name a few. I agree with that part of your statement--if people want to live "rural" then they need to be willing to share their environment with the naturally occurring critters--even the ones that can pose some risk. Otherwise, stay in the damned city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Prairie Dog Stew anyone? Local delicacy I'm told. Good if spit roasted too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
. . . and the latest news in the official prairie dog wars, from Boulder:

State denies Boulder's bid to move 300 prairie dogs to Gunbarrel

Quote:
The Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife has denied an application from the city of Boulder to move up to 300 prairie dogs from Foothills Community Park to an open space site in Gunbarrel, effectively putting an end to a five-year battle over the rodents.

But the overall war is far from over, with city officials saying they'll try to find a new home for the troublesome critters and opposed Gunbarrel residents promising to share their experience with other neighborhoods.

In a letter sent to the city Friday, state wildlife officials wrote that they denied Boulder's application to move the prairie dogs to the Richardson II open space site because the plan failed to adequately mitigate residents' concerns about the colony eventually expanding into the nearby neighborhood.

"Until the city can develop a plan to effectively contain relocated prairie dogs on the Richardson II property, and as long as local opposition -- especially from adjacent landowners -- to the project remains strong, we will not issue a permit," the letter reads. . .

Old 07-07-2011, 07:04 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,290,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
. . . and the latest news in the official prairie dog wars, from Boulder:

State denies Boulder's bid to move 300 prairie dogs to Gunbarrel
If you can't take the dogs to GunBarrel, take the gun barrel to the dogs!

In my case it's the barrel of a Browning 25-.06 scoped varmint rifle...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:13 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Here's the game to practice whacking prairie dogs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Unfortunately, the natural predators that keep prairie dog populations under control have been nearly eliminated in some places--the black footed ferret being an example. The result is severe prairie dog overpopulation. Nature takes care of that in a very ugly and unpleasant way--bubonic plague.

The same boneheads who move out into rural areas and ***** about the prairie dogs are the same ones who freak out if their predators show up--rattlesnakes, foxes, coyotes and mountain lions, to name a few. I agree with that part of your statement--if people want to live "rural" then they need to be willing to share their environment with the naturally occurring critters--even the ones that can pose some risk. Otherwise, stay in the damned city.
yep, it's sad. we live in the city burbs (what I consider the city anyway-the farm at arapahoe county) and I don't freak out about the foxes and coyotes that I see romping thru my back yard. they were here first and it's there turf. no rattlesnakes, but wouldn't freak me out. again, they were here first. grew up in CA with the mountain lion/coyote risk. it is what it is...you just don't let your dogs and small children play outside unattended.

if we've screwed up the balance of nature, time to restore it or suffer the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado