U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,113,571 times

Advertisements

Well, there's already a good-sized wildfire burning in the San Miguel River canyon area near Norwood, and it isn't even summer yet. This one isn't burning in pine beetle country, either, but in the "P-J" (piñon-juniper) and oakbrush. This could be a long summer. Southwest Colorado is now going into its normal dry period from now until the Southwest Monsoon kicks in around mid-July, and things are pretty dry already. Though there is no official word, where this fire started strongly indicates it is human-caused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 05:01 PM

16,183 posts, read 20,194,083 times
OOOOHHH Boy, I knew it was gonna come up at some point soon. Not surprising, we've had 25 to 40 MPH winds steady for the last couple days in the Grand Valley. And it's blowing like hell right now. Jazz is right, about this time we won't see rain till the monsoons come in, and it's not a guarantee we see the moisture out of those storms as the rest of SW Colorado. With several summers, we don't!

Old 05-23-2010, 05:25 PM

10,554 posts, read 11,649,542 times
Was 500 acres last night, 3,000 acres today. We've had howling 50-60mph winds here. I can see the smoke from Ridgway, and it's really visible from Montrose and is blowing into Olethe and Delta. HWY 145 is closed.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 PM

10,554 posts, read 11,649,542 times
New release from BLM:

May 23, 2010, 4:30 P.M
BEAVER FIRE UPDATE

Montrose, Colo. – Fire officials say downed powerlines near Highway 145 and Goodenough Road are the cause of a 3,000-acre fire burning near Norwood today

Fire activity intensified this afternoon as wind gusts picked up. The most intense activity has been to the north and east in MacKenzie Canyon. Additional resources have been sent to provide structure protection for homes in the Sanborn Park and Brown’s Ranch areas. Some residents there are preparing to move their animals from the area, but no evacuations have been ordered at this time.

The fire started around 2:30 yesterday afternoon near Highway 145 and Goodenough Road, and quickly grew fueled by wind gusts that reached 60 miles an hour at times. High winds are gusting again today.

About 180 firefighters are working the fire this afternoon.

No structures have been burned and no homes have been evacuated at this time

Officials are encouraging residents in areas around Wrights Mesa, Brown Ranch, Iron Springs, MacKensie Mesa and along Sanborn Park Road to stay alert today. They say residents in the area should be sure brush, trees and other flammable materials are cleared away from their homes.

Residents are also encouraged to sign up for the county’s WENS program, which will alert residents in the event evacuations are necessary. Residents can sign up via the San Miguel County website at http://www.sanmiguelcounty.org/.

Highway 145 is currently open. The San Miguel River remains closed between Deep Creek and Norwood Bridge. Two small campsites in the area were evacuated Saturday afternoon

Resources on the fire include five MIFMU engines from Norwood and Montrose, two hotshot crew from Durango and Monument, and an inmate hand crew from Rifle. Local fire engines and crews from Telluride and Norwood are also assisting

The fire is burning on Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service land near the San Miguel/Montrose county border, in oak brush and pine trees.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 PM

This is an ugly cold front coming through here. Was watching the 10:30 news on NBC 11, they were saying that Nucla and Dove Creek had winds clocking at 50 m.p.h. steady. Supposed to be windy tomorrow as well but with a supposed 10 to 15 degree temperature drop.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times
I confess, it's all my fault. I was foolish enough to wash my windshield when I filled up the gas tank on Friday afternoon. On Saturday afternoon I got caught in a minute long sprinke that put all of the dirt, and then some, back on my windshield.

From my back yard, the Grand Mesa appears to be close enough to reach out and touch it, but with so much dust in the air from the relentless winds over the weekend....it was completely hidden from view yesterday evening.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-24-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 09:18 AM

I'll take it a step further Cosmic. I washed both the Buick and the Jeep a few days ago!
Yea, the air has been bad. I've been sneezing my brains out lately, not that I have much in the brain department anyway!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times
HH...you are realy tempting fate....you must enjoy living on the edge!

I haven't washed my car in its entirety for almost 3 years. Leaving it coated with a dusty veneer hides the dirt better than a clean car!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicwizard View Post
hh...you are realy tempting fate....you must enjoy living on the edge!

I haven't washed my car in its entirety for almost 3 years. Leaving it coated with a dusty veneer hides the dirt better than a clean car!
I love it!

Speaking of wind, the minute I think it quits, then whammo-here comes a 50 m.p.h. blast! Morning news said hopefully this will be out by tomorrow. Also have been giving coverage on the Norwood fire, they're still saying 3000 acres, I have to believe it's a lot more than that. Channel 11's website is saying 3200 acres. Also with the cold front blowing through there they are getting a mix of rain and snow.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-24-2010 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 AM

447 posts, read 1,391,937 times
So it looks like my decision of NOT GOING to Moab this weekend was a good decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or