U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,201,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I suppose a more polite way of saying it is the way The Who presented it... "I hope I die before I get old..."
But they didn't. Neither did I, and you probably won't, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:33 PM

85,136 posts, read 99,318,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
I've driven on other major highways in surrounding states (I-70,I-80, I-90, I-35), and it doesn't seem like there are nearly as many crazy drivers on those highways. Also, in every state I've driven through (WY,KS, IA, MN, SD, NE, NV, CA, TX, NM, UT) the speed limit was never higher than 70 MPH. In most states, the speed limit on the interstate is 65 MPH.
I've driven across NE dozens of times in the last 30 years, and I'm pretty sure the speed limit is still 75. And yet they still pass you, especially the big trucks on I-80.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 PM

138 posts, read 289,165 times
Colorado drivers are not crazy, they are very slow and relaxed... and Kansas is 75 too. Indiana is a weird state though at 70 when all states around it are 65.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,432,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
Colorado drivers are not crazy, they are very slow and relaxed... and Kansas is 75 too. Indiana is a weird state though at 70 when all states around it are 65.
Agreed. I set my cruise control at 80 MPH when the speed limit is 75 and I pass 95% of the traffic on the highway.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM

85,136 posts, read 99,318,643 times
Quote:
The speed limit in Kansas on I-70 is 70.

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 PM

13,748 posts, read 21,611,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
But they didn't. Neither did I, and you probably won't, either.
Good point. Hope you're right. I think George Carlin said it best when he said, "Ever notice how anybody who goes slower than you is an idiot and anyone who goes faster is a maniac?"

Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,268,704 times
I'm fine with 75 MPH on rural interstates, but this section of I 25 is far from rural. And I can't see us building our way out of this mess either (with more lanes). Adding additional lanes all the way from Pueblo to Fort Collins would snarl traffic for years during the construction phase. By the time it was completed you'd have X more people in the area and you'd have to do it all again. Plus I imagine there's an absolute limit on the number of lanes you can add and still have a drivable road. Which means that if road building is the answer then we'd eventually need a parallel interstate. This would cost a fortune and the new interchanges would become prime development areas. Face facts, the days of driving safely at 75 and above on I-25 from Pueblo to Fort Collins are over.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,432,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I'm fine with 75 MPH on rural interstates, but this section of I 25 is far from rural. And I can't see us building our way out of this mess either (with more lanes). Adding additional lanes all the way from Pueblo to Fort Collins would snarl traffic for years during the construction phase. By the time it was completed you'd have X more people in the area and you'd have to do it all again. Plus I imagine there's an absolute limit on the number of lanes you can add and still have a drivable road. Which means that if road building is the answer then we'd eventually need a parallel interstate. This would cost a fortune and the new interchanges would become prime development areas. Face facts, the days of driving safely at 75 and above on I-25 from Pueblo to Fort Collins are over.
That is why you do two projects to help the traffic now and in the future. First you widen I-25 to a minimum of 6 lanes and in some areas 8 lanes. At the same time we should build a HSR from Pueblo to Fort Collins. Together they will help reduce traffic along the front range.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,652,721 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if I would describe Colorado drivers as slow and relaxed... at least not in the Denver area. When I drive down to Colorado Springs on occasion, I typically drive about 80 to 85 keeping with the flow of traffic.

On a side note, I was in Boston last weekend and drove up I-95 to Portsmouth, NH. With all of the bad things I have heard about Boston drivers, I was surprised to find that the driving style on Boston highways was actually very similar to Denver (they just honk alot more)!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,509,305 times
downtownnola wrote:
I'm not sure if I would describe Colorado drivers as slow and relaxed
The only place I've encountered slow and relaxed drivers in Colorado ( Grand Junction ) is getting up to speed when a light changes from Red to Green. Apparently drivers here are color blind, or perhaps their leg falls asleep on the brake perdal waiting for the light to change. Whatever the reason, s-l-o-w is an accurrate description of getting up to speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado