U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,487 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are flying with our son to Denver, CO, Saturday, June 26, 2010. We will be dropping off our son at snowboard camp at Copper Mt. Sunday morning and then our time is free until we return to pick him up at Copper Saturday morning, July 3.

We are outdoor enthusiasts, but will not have our gear with us...just our trail running shoes and a rental car. We are considering the western (Rockies) part of CO and thought about making a large loop...but are uncertain of the route we should take.

So...if we start in Denver and head west on I-70...and our goal is to return to Denver Friday night...what route is best for sight seeing and exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,903,079 times
Take the highway 119 that goes up to Estes Park. This puts you in close proximity to Rocky Mountain National Park. Get on the highway 36 that does the loop through the park (takes you up to 12,000 feet) and highway 34 that takes you down to the town of Granby (headwaters of the Colorado river.) From there you can get on 40 west and make your way south through the mountains down to Silverthorne.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,183,577 times
Lucky kid attending Woodward @ Copper!
If you are heading west on I-70 from Copper the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway to Estes Park is not on your way.
I would recommend visiting Rocky Mountain National Park, but it's not on the route if you are interested in the western part of the state.
Since you'll be in Copper, I'd continue west on I-70 until you get to exit 171 for Minturn/ Hwy 24. Go south to Leadville, check out the old mining town and perhaps have lunch. Leadville, Colorado, Twin Lakes, lodging, mountain recreation, real estate, vacation travel
Then head south until you hit US 82 west. That is the Independence Pass road which takes you to Aspen. You must to do that drive, it is spectacular! Independence Pass, Colorado: Photos, Information And Discussion Forum
Perhaps you'd want to spend the night in or near Aspen. You really should hike to Maroon Bells, it's gorgeous. One of the most photographed places in Colorado: USDA Forest Service, White River National Forest - Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness
Oh, I just re-read your post and see that you have a whole week. I'll need to do a little more thinking about the rest of the time and route. There are many wonderful things to see and plenty of good hiking.

Last edited by Neditate; 05-27-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 02:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
It depends on what you want to see. If you want to see the typical yuppie bull**** tourist/resort crap, stick to the I-70 corridor and Aspen. If, on the other hand, you want to the REAL Colorado, there are some nice alternatives. PM me if you want to know about those.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM

49 posts, read 155,463 times
Let us know how Woodward @ Copper is. My son goes to Woodward Pa (this will be his 3rd summer there). We are moving to Colorado next July and he was very bummed about missing Woodward. I told him they just opened one at Copper but he's not convinced it will be as good. I think he would go for the whole summer if I let him (or could afford it).

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,714,576 times
Spend a couple of days in Salida. Beautiful little town nestled in the mountains with a river running right through downtown. Nice parks, too. I'd live there if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or