U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM

31 posts, read 63,212 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Longmont and was wondering how the area is as far as safety, cost of living, etc. From the research I have been doing, it looks fantastic. Goal would be to get a house or condo for rent for under $1500/month. Just me and my fiance, and a couple doggies.

The company wanted to send me to LA, but it's just too expensive! I think this would be a great middle ground!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 AM

4,932 posts, read 8,951,822 times
My coworker and his girlfriend lived in Longmont two years ago and liked it a lot. In fact, they're planning on moving back there soon.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM

7 posts, read 10,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawlan View Post
I may be moving to Longmont and was wondering how the area is as far as safety, cost of living, etc. From the research I have been doing, it looks fantastic. Goal would be to get a house or condo for rent for under $1500/month. Just me and my fiance, and a couple doggies.

The company wanted to send me to LA, but it's just too expensive! I think this would be a great middle ground!
Hello... I just posted to someone else who was considering Longmont, so I thought I'd share some of that here with you.

As far as safety goes, every city has its issues. I'm not going to try to fool anyone into believing that crime never happens in Longmont, but it's much less than in a larger city (such as L.A. - where I have also lived). Most of it is non-violent crime... tagging is a larger issue that the police are trying to get under control. Most of this takes place in certain areas, so you don't generally see it all over town.

My husband and I (in our mid 30s) live in Longmont (and have lived here for the last 7 years), and have three dogs. There are several dog parks within the city limits, and others that are outside city limits but close by (if you drive). There is also Union Reservoir which has a specific dog beach area where you can let your dogs run through the water... it's pretty cool to be able to see them swim when it's so hot out.

In Longmont there are several areas under that price range, some of which you likely wouldn't want to live in. Old Town Longmont has some adorable turn of the century houses, but many of them that are reasonably priced are on the smaller side (let's say 700-1500 sq feet for your price range). If you need more space, there are other areas of town, not quite as charming though, that will fit the bill. From what I've seen (I'm an obsessive real estate hunter junkie), you wouldn't have an issue finding a rental unit (even a house) for $1500/month. If you're willing to live slightly outside of Longmont city limits (there's a town called Firestone just to the east about 8 miles) there are a lot of houses that are huge that they are trying to both rent and sell because people got in over their heads. Of course, there are these kinds of deals in town as well, but may not have the square footage.

Outdoor activities are abundant in the area: mountains, trails, rivers, lakes and so on are all around. So, both winter and summer free time can easily be spent in the outdoors. There are several bicycle riders here and lots of trails to ride that take you throughout the city. The city has done an excellent job of creating these routes for both walkers and bicyclists, as well as having a variety of bike lanes on streets throughout the city. Mountain biking also isn't far away. While I'm more of a street rider, my husband loves mountain biking and goes just about every weekend and often during the week as well. Lyons (just slightly west of Longmont) has several trails for both hiking and biking, and of course, Boulder isn't far either.

One of the best things (in my opinion) about Longmont is its smaller town feel, yet it's proximity to Denver. I love knowing that I can live in a smaller area and feel safe walking down the street, and still know that I can get to Denver in 30 minutes (which we do on a regular basis).

Hope that helps to provide you with a bit of information. If there's anything else, I can do my best to help answer your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado