U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 PM

214 posts, read 1,176,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I--back when its economy was more centered around the limestone quarry at Monarch,
Might just be right there in a couple of weeks actually. Racing up that road. Great little (emphasis on little) road to race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:17 PM

486 posts, read 1,240,076 times
Quote:
I would agree with you about Cañon City in most every respect, save one. It has the issue of likely just being a little TOO close to the Front Range metroplex blob to stay a pastoral small town over the long term. That is, unless growth dies an inglorious death in Colorado, which I, personally, sincerely hope that it does. If growth goes away, Cañon City might actually stay a pretty nice place. Otherwise, I have my doubts over the long haul. As a good friend who lives in Cañon says, "The best thing about Cañon City is that it's close to Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Denver. The absolute worst thing about Cañon City is that it's close to Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Denver."

That is the weird thing about Canon City - the place is like being stuck in a time warp. It takes an hour to drive to Pueblo or Colo Springs but it may as well be 50 years, because coming into Canon City is like going back in tme 50 years or so (which, can be both a blessing and a curse).

In no way is Canon City anywhere close to a metro-plex blob. Oh boy, no way, - much to my chagrin at times. The folks here are staunchly against growth and development to the point where they will not allow bus service, or any new chain restaurants! The establishment rules in Canon City and it is the old boy's club from way back when. Change does not happen easy here - to the point where it barely happens at all, except to go BACKWARDS, rather than forward in terms of develpoment.

Some examples of what I am talking about: there were a couple of real estate developers from the east coast who bought up land locally and planned these fancy new-construction golf-course communites with pricey track homes... these developments died as dismal failures and are basically abadoned now. Chain restaurants and businesses have pulled OUT of Canon City in recent years... Office Depot did open up in town but they are lucky if they get two customers in a week.

Canon City IS the very definition of a pastoral and quaint small town (and sometimes that drives me crazy).
But... I drive to get groceries (five minutes from my house) and I pass cows and horses in pastures right in the middle of town. People let their chickens peck where they want on the tree-lined, blossom filled town streets. I walk to the post office and pick lilacs and fruit from the trees I pass. We still have our original (reputably haunted) Carnegie Library complete with the original hand-crafted wooden bookshelves. On Memorial Day, townsfolk show up at the local cemetery and pay tribute to the fallen Civil War soldiers buried here, among others. Some of the paintings in my home are lovingly done by my local eye doctor. There is children's story hour at the farmers market in the park. The church down the street from my house plays Christian hyms from their church-steeple bells. Canon City is just that kind of place... stubborn and unchanging as a small midwestern farming town.

Apparently, Change, Growth and Progress checked Canon City out but didn't last but a day... and leave but a whisper.

Not to worry Jazzlover, this place isn't going anywhere fast.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 PM

486 posts, read 1,240,076 times
I agree with you about Salida though. I keep waiting for Salidafication to happen to Canon City, but it never does.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 AM

8 posts, read 50,441 times
Grand Junction was singled out, along with the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic, in last summer's health care debate because the docs there have been working together for, I think, a number of decades now, and getting better and cheaper results than almost anywhere else. I know they've been under some pressure recently, but I ran into a retired orthopedic surgeon from there (who still lives there) a few weeks ago and he was still awfully proud and pleased with his experience. Of course, the flip side is that you may not make quite as much, but you'd have collegial colleagues and maybe less insurance paperwork. He steered me to the Center for American Progress website (a quick gander there didn't find anything about GJ, though.)

I first read about GJ's health care system in last summer's famous Atul Gawande New Yorker article, quoted by Obama in his speech to the AMA a few weeks later. Apparently this article crystallized what they were/are trying to do with health care in America, and was mandatory reading for all in the White House.
McAllen, Texas and the high cost of health care : The New Yorker

That said, I'm an ex-Chicagoan living just outside of Boulder, and not a medical type, so that's all I have to say about that. Just thought it might be relevant. I'm sure you have your own opinion about integrated care systems.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,947,728 times
You'll have to get away from the well known spots in order to hit the less touristy areas. For example, the town of Collbran.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:58 PM

529 posts, read 1,141,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I've been noticing a boatload of cars with Missouri license plates driving around here lately. I wonder what's going on-- is there some mass exodus going on from that state?
COLORADO - It's not just for Texans anymore!

Interestingly enough, I was in Alamosa yesterday and saw quite a few Iowa, Missouri and Illinois travelers. One of the Iowans I saw was involved in an accident on US 160. But, oddly enough, only one Texas traveler the whole day! I think the word is out that Texans aren't appreciated in Colorado so they are spending their money here in New Mexico! I love TEXAS and TEXANS because they spend LOTS of money and for the most part, are not rude. I haven't met many rude Texans for that matter so I don't know what people are talking about when they slam T-X. They seem nice and at times, very helpful and generous, to me. They're just Texans first....I guess.....

You are going to see a mass exodus of Massachuettes proportions from Illinois for the next ten or fifteen years because of the tax burdens that are going to be placed on its residents.

Last edited by Ziasforever; 06-02-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-03-2010, 04:23 AM

66 posts, read 212,415 times
Quote:
You and your wife are in one of the very few fields--medical professionals--for which there is some demand in most Colorado towns. Problem is, you likely will find living costs higher than Kansas and incomes lower than Kansas in most Colorado locales--unless you locate in one of the metro areas (which it sounds like you do not want to do). "Family-oriented," in my opinion takes any of the resort towns off of the list right there, as do the exorbitant living costs.

I would suggest towns in the western valleys (Montrose, Delta, Grand Junction--Grand Junction is a medical center, but is getting more "big city" than small town), the San Luis Valley (Alamosa, Monte Vista) if you can stand the very cold winters, the Upper Arkansas Valley (Canon City, Salida, Buena Vista--though Salida and Buena Vista are too touristy for my tastes), or Gunnison (if you could stand the BRUTALLY cold winters). I would avoid the energy areas of northwest Colorado and the whole I-70 corridor from Denver to Grand Junction. Of course, towns on the Eastern Plains are screaming for medical people, but the landscape is not much different from western Kansas.

You also might consider towns in Wyoming--they need medical people and some are fine communities--Lander, Riverton, Sheridan, and Buffalo come quickly to mind as nice towns not totally overrun with either the tourism or energy industries.

A big problem in any of the smaller towns in the Rocky Mountain West is that a very large number of medical patients are either Medicare or Medicaid patients. In my area, the hospital administrator says that only about 20% of their patients are private pay--80% are Medicare or Medicaid.

Truth is, you may be better off staying in one of Kansas' very nice smaller communities and just coming to Colorado on vacation. I know several native Coloradans who have moved to Kansas for the less touristy, less fake kind of communities found there, and now just return to Colorado on occasion to visit.
To the above post: Gripe much?

mhopkins, I have researched Colorado quite a bit and it's no more "unattainable" than any other American state. Infact, it relatively affordable compared to some expensive coastal states. Me thinks the Coloradians who claim Colorado is "very expensive" have never lived in a truly expensive coastal state. They are thinking in terms of their own little "mountain states" bubble, which consists of places like Wyoming and Idaho (very inexpensive). So of course compared to Wyoming and Idaho, Colorado is going to be a little more expensive. Big whoop!

Anyways, from what I have read and heard, it seems like the Denver area has a pretty good job market, well at least for the Information Technology industry. I am not sure about the job market for the Medical industry in Denver since I haven't researched it. You will have to research it. Or research small towns in Colorado if that is where you desire to live. Canon City looks nice in photos at least.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,183,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post

mhopkins, I have researched Colorado quite a bit and it's no more "unattainable" than any other American state. Infact, it relatively affordable compared to some expensive coastal states. Me thinks the Coloradians who claim Colorado is "very expensive" have never lived in a truly expensive coastal state. They are thinking in terms of their own little "mountain states" bubble, which consists of places like Wyoming and Idaho (very inexpensive). So of course compared to Wyoming and Idaho, Colorado is going to be a little more expensive. Big whoop!

Anyways, from what I have read and heard, it seems like the Denver area has a pretty good job market, well at least for the Information Technology industry. I am not sure about the job market for the Medical industry in Denver since I haven't researched it. You will have to research it. Or research small towns in Colorado if that is where you desire to live. Canon City looks nice in photos at least.

Good luck.
Always nice when somebody who doesn't live in the state, only knows what he or she sees about it on the internet, and may or may not have even visited the state impunes that people who have lived in the state for decades, imtimately know its geography and economy, and have employed and supervised people in it (including the IT people he mentions) are blathering idiots, and that HE knows better about the economy of the state.

"Canon City looks nice in photos at least" is a great example of such know-little pontificating. He's entitled to his opinion, informed or not, I guess, but I should wouldn't rely on it. Better to ask somebody who knows about every square inch of the town (or state) their opinion about what it's really like. What you get will still be an opinion, but at least an informed one. Viper is right in this case, Cañon City is a pretty nice town, but even a broken clock is right twice a day . . .

Oh, to say Wyoming and Idaho are very inexpensive is a crock, also. Anyone doing a scintilla of research would know that there are many areas of both those states that certainly are not inexpensive. To say otherwise is a misleading general statement that is likely false as often as it might be true.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:25 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,080,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post

Good luck.
I would say Denver overall has a pretty decent standard of living with a good job market. I don't feel like it is affordable as before, but with real estate coming down I think it will be.

However, mountain living is a different story. Sure one can live in a crappy town like Canon City with 9 prisons and surrounded by scrub brush. But that's not mountain living in reality, despite whatever fantasies people concoct to try to believe that. To live up in the mountains, it's expensive with a highly variable job situation plus often some isolation and long winters.

Canon City by the way uses the same trick many Colorado towns use of taking their photos in May/June when everything is green for a few weeks after winter and neglect to show what it really looks like the rest of the year, which is brown. So don't fall for vague photos.

To me when people talk about Colorado and jobs/living, Denver front range life is way different from mountain living. You can't lump the two together as they are totally different from one another.

Yes I have lived in an expensive coastal state, Connecticut, which is as expensive as it gets.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 8,947,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Sunshine View Post
Grand Junction was singled out, along with the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic, in last summer's health care debate because the docs there have been working together for, I think, a number of decades now, and getting better and cheaper results than almost anywhere else.
That's the theory, at least. Actual opinions around here about Rocky Mountain Health Plans are mixed. Some people like it, others say it's too expensive for them and they get a better deal with BCBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado