U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:17 PM

529 posts, read 1,138,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I seriously doubt that Viper has ever lived in Wyoming or Colorado. I have--both states. As part of my work, I traveled both states extensively and studied the economy of both--extensively. Talking about the economy and economic statistics is not an abstraction for me--for a number of years, it was part of my work. So, unless Viper has "walked the walk"--and his posts indicate that he has not, he might try listening to what some people who have far more real experience living and working in this region (and not just me) have to say.

As to Zia's comment about people living wherever and however they want, people can do that only so long as there are sufficient economic and natural resources for them to do so. If those resources aren't available, then people either have to do with far less, go somewhere else, or die. If we keep pushing the envelope worldwide, nationally, and locally with exploding populations--that last option will probably become the dominant one. I predict widespread famine and death will be the norm in the Third World within less than a decade, and we may not be far behind in this country if we keep heading down our present path. "Relocating" will take on a whole new meaning then.
Hey I wonder if Denver will have L.A. style riots once the population reaches a critical mass. Then there'll be one last place we can go where there is plenty of room (at least for the next 20 years) and 9 months of winter; Canada.

Actually I live in Santa Fe, NM. My water bill has doubled in the past five years and increased 5 fold since 2000. We have permanent watering restrictions. My city has 80,000 or so right now. I wonder what things will be like when there's 200,000 people living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM

16,183 posts, read 20,197,182 times
Re Economic resources that JL points out.

Over here when the dust cleared as the great land giveaway reached its conclusion around the early 90's, development kicked in. Lots of big houses and I mean big houses started popping up north of I-70. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I wouldn't mind having a nice 2000 square foot ranch home on 10 acres. But these homes were so big you can almost fit a hot air balloon inside one. I could see right off the get go that this was becoming an area where the working individual better have some heavy coin to bring with him as well as varied job skills and that the swing between the haves and have nots would be huge.

I'm not as negative on growth as some but, like Jazz, I don't want to see good people get hammered either. The area sure liked two to three hundred thousand dollar homes being built and people moving here. But build affordable housing? Well that came later-much later. In fact, a lot of the 90 to 120 thousand dollar housing came in 2001. I remember 2001 well. That was the year the city finally listened to its working poor. Imagine living in an area that had been classified "metropolitan" in the late 90's and the city not listening to its lower middle to lower class to provide public transportation. That's right, it wasn't until 2001 that Grand Valley transit was created and that city buses were rolling.

I've never had a lot of money in my life and at this point don't really care. But I judge towns and cities by the way all people are treated. I've seen good people get hammered in this area. I don't like it.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM

66 posts, read 211,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I seriously doubt that Viper has ever lived in Wyoming or Colorado. I have--both states. As part of my work, I traveled both states extensively and studied the economy of both--extensively. Talking about the economy and economic statistics is not an abstraction for me--for a number of years, it was part of my work. So, unless Viper has "walked the walk"--and his posts indicate that he has not, he might try listening to what some people who have far more real experience living and working in this region (and not just me) have to say.

As to Zia's comment about people living wherever and however they want, people can do that only so long as there are sufficient economic and natural resources for them to do so. If those resources aren't available, then people either have to do with far less, go somewhere else, or die. If we keep pushing the envelope worldwide, nationally, and locally with exploding populations--that last option will probably become the dominant one. I predict widespread famine and death will be the norm in the Third World within less than a decade, and we may not be far behind in this country if we keep heading down our present path. "Relocating" will take on a whole new meaning then.
jazzlover, Colorado is no more special or different from any other state in the United States. You seriously need to come to terms with this reality.

I am done with this thread. Have fun.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,795,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
Do I hear trumpets in the background?

Regarding the affordability of Colorado, it typically has a lower affordability index (COL/wages) than other areas, meaning that you'll spend more of your life working and less of your life living than other areas with worse climates, poor scenery, etc. That's only part of the equation though...

The other part of the equation is the quantity and quality of your time. Urban and suburbanites typically spend a lot more of their time working to make money and spending that money than rural people do. If they can't spend their precious free time from work spending money, many of them consider it to be wasted.

Rural people tend to spend less of their time spending money, and more time just "living" at a slower pace of life. If enjoying time is the OP's primary objective, the smaller (poorer) towns would be a good choice, but if the OP prefers to the hustle and bustle of the rat race over quiet reflection and solitude, the urban corridors along I-70 and I-25 would be a better choice.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
jazzlover, Colorado is no more special or different from any other state in the United States. You seriously need to come to terms with this reality.

Well Viper seeing how you have never lived in Colorado or been there, how about you move and then tell us all about it. Fair enough as I see it.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 AM

529 posts, read 1,138,830 times
I think Colorado is awesome...very very crowded compared to what it used to be when I was a kid...but still pretty awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado