U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,930,751 times

Advertisements

It only takes a few days to adjust to the altitude. By then you'll either know that you've adjusted completely or have adjusted poorly to it.

As for the activities you've planned, you'll get a good idea of city life in Colorado, but it doesn't look like you've planned much for the mountains which is suprising since that's the main reason people move to CO. So, how about adding a night of camping and/or a day hike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,487,668 times
No advice, since i live in SW Co, but enjoy Crankworx! was there last year and loved it!!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM

7 posts, read 6,767 times
Didn't plan on the mountains 'cause it's kind of a given that I'll like it. As you mentioned, it is one of the many reasons I wish to relocate.

I was under the impression that I would go hit the trails for a couple of hours. Didn't have the slightest idea I was going the same weekend as Crankworks. Lucky! Looking forward to that event.

----

Quick question. Wannero mentioned that if I were to live in Denver the mountains would be seen off in the distance. What I took from that was I would only be able to visit them during the weekend considering a 9 to 5.

So, is it impossible to head to the hills right afterwork? Did I read it incorrectly? I do know, from readings, that there is plenty to ride around Boulder given being closer to the hills. A question I'd like to pose is; where would one live to have access to the hills within 15-30 minutes if residing in Denver? As of now, I'm thinking of living in the northern part of Denver to have access to both cities with a short travel distance between both (Broomfield, Lafayette, Westminister). Speaking with little knowledge of the areas I would assume these would be ideal.

Contradicting what many believe and say, I once read somewhere on these forums that it would be wise to live in a city near where you like to play. That spoke to me and made all the sense in the world. Part of my reasoning to move to CO is the mentality of most who believe in live first, work second. Let's not take it to literal now. It's without a doubt that in order to live, one must work. Okay enough blah blah blah...

Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,227,771 times
For the most part, I'd say you are correct, going in the mountains is really a weekend excursion.

There are many places you can live within a few minutes drive of the foothills (Golden, Lakewood, SW "Littleton", Boulder, parts of "Arvada"). You can get in a lot of quick hikes in Jefferson County open space parks. For real high country access, you're looking at a much longer drive. As much as some people hate to admit it, Denver is fundamentally a plains city. Fortunately, there are many trails/ nature preserves right in the metro area, such as Cherry Creek State Park, where you can go jogging/bicycling. Anything is possible, it's just a question of how much time, money, and energy you want to spend accomplishing it.

By far the single largest employment center in the Front Range is the Denver Tech center area, on the south end of the metro area. It's hard to be too "choosy" in this job market with specific locations. Just landing a decent job in the greater Front Range region, whether it ends up being in utopian Boulder right off the Pearl St Mall or if it's in an office park in the suburbs, is going to be a significant accomplishment in its own right.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,428,972 times
As far as neighborhoods and vibes go in Denver, I'd recommend taking a look at the following areas -- I'll give you intersections that are basically small neighborhood "downtowns" or other areas that I think are interesting.

Riverfront (15th/Platte)
LoDo/Downtown (16th Street Mall, or, area near Coors Field)
Cherry Creek (1st/University)
Wash Park (Gaylord St ?)
Highlands (32nd and Lowell)
Berkeley (44th and Tennyson)
Park Hill (22nd and Kearney)
Harvard Gulch (?) (Downing St, a few blocks south of Evans)
DU area (Evans/University)
Virginia Village (Holly/Florida -- not too much here, but I do like this part of town, also, not far from Cherry Creek)
Cap Hill (9th and Downing)
Congress Park (12th and Clayton - also check out Colorado Blvd around 8th?)
City Park and City Park West (along 17th Ave between Broadway to the west and Colorado Blvd to the east)
Baker Neighborhood (1st/Broadway)

Sloan's Lake/Edgewater (Sheridan and...25th?)

I'm not as familiar with the Denver neighborhoods west of I-25 as I am with those east of it.

Also, not in Denver, but:

Olde Town Arvada
Lakewood-Green Mountain (suburban, but near the foothills)
Evergreen/Conifer (depending on where you get a job, this could be an option -- it's in the foothills and RTD has regional bus service to downtown Denver)
Lakewood - Bel Mar (there's a Whole Foods here)
Golden, or just outside of Golden in ZIP 80401.

Also, since you mentioned Whole Foods, you should check out Sunflower Market and Vitamin Cottage too, just to see what you think of those. Oh, and Merczyk's Fine Foods on 17th too.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 PM

Great replies for my last post. Thank you!

Vegas and Cowboy, taking look into this list and will sure use its valuable content...

Old 06-03-2010, 10:58 AM

726 posts, read 1,817,524 times
I personally like your itinerary, it seems a combo of vacation and scouting trip. When we came out here for our scouting trip we arrived at 9:00pm wednesday and left at 3:00 friday. We clocked about 300 miles going from suburb to suburb and were spent. I noticed you were checking out Broomfield which is where we live. It is definite suburbia but its best feature is location. It gives you the option of being in Denver or Boulder in equal amounts of time. We couldn't decide between Denver or Boulder which is why we ended up in Broomfield. No matter where you end up you'll probably get more miles of biking and hiking trails than you could imagine (even in the burbs and cities). We love the area because it takes no effort to find a good place to bike, hike, ski, shop, catch a movie, sporting event, concert, etc. One note if you're going to Red Rocks you should catch a show.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Thanks for your insight... After some further research, I'm also looking into Lakewood, Highland (not Ranch as Cowboy recommended) areas as they seem to be closer to A. DT Denver and B. The hills... Are these recommended areas to look further into? Safe?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,217,088 times
I would also look into Littleton, as it fits your criteria of being close enough to some trails on the weekdays. My parents live near old town Littleton (Sante Fe Blvd. and Littleton Blvd.), which is very cute and one of the last remaining true old towns in the Denver metro area. Access to downtown Denver is relatively easy, especially with the light rail station located right in the old town area. My parents will often take light rail downtown for Avalanche or Broncos games. They don't have to worry about parking downtown, or driving after a couple beers at the game. You're about 25 minutes from the trails in the foothills too.

If I ever move back to the Denver area, I would seriously consider Littleton, as I think it has the best of both worlds. I was raised in Aurora, and I never would live there again. It's way to suburban for me and it's so far from the mountains.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM

47 posts, read 158,858 times
I would suggest west Westminster/Broomfield. 20 minutes to Boulder and 20 minutes to Denver. I might be little biased though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado