U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 AM

66 posts, read 211,540 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Colorado soon, and I was wondering what are some "must see" places in Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, and Fort Collins? Also, what are some good (not overly expensive) restaurants in these areas?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:32 AM

10,679 posts, read 28,500,687 times
all depends on what you and your wife like to do. Are you hikers, bikers, kayakers and climbers? Or Art gallery, botanic gardens and nature and science museum types?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:22 AM

3,605 posts, read 4,865,264 times
Eat at the Damascus Grill and Ajuua Mexican Restaurant.

At the Damascus, definitely get some of the humus. I like the chicken kabob entree best, which comes with a humus plate. But there are tons of great appetizers and vegetarian entrees as well.

As for what to do, that depends on your interests.

Oh and if you do get up to Fort Collins, eat at the Tiger Lily (in a strip mall on Elizabeth).

Old 05-31-2010, 12:01 PM

20 posts, read 47,683 times
You should take the cog railroad to the top of pikes peak. Pikes peak is right by colorado springs. I would also suggest going up to cripple creek and taking their gold mine tour (http://www.goldminetours.com/Home.html - broken link). You go 1,000 feet below ground and they teach you all about the mine. It was very fun when I took the tour.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-31-2010 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: adding links

Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,191,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Eat at the [...]Ajuua Mexican Restaurant.
Sorry, Davros, but I'd have to disagree with that one. I tried that place a few months ago and thought it sucked.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM

I should clarify that I was talking about the one on East Hampden. I don't know if the other ones suck or not, but I can't imagine anyone saying the one on East Hampden sucked unless they were having a bad day.

What's your favorite Mexican Restaurant in Denver ?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:10 AM

66 posts, read 211,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Are you hikers, bikers, kayakers and climbers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
As for what to do, that depends on your interests.
My wife and I enjoy hiking. We are only going to be in Colorado for 4 full days, so we don't want to spend too much time just hiking. We also want to see some good scenic overlooks that can be driven to. We would like to see some amenities (ex: shopping malls) in each area in case we decide to move there one day. And I would like to see the tech centers in the areas (for possible future job opportunities).
Finally, what area of the four mentioned (Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Fort Collins) has the most affordable living when looking for a house with acreage (5+ acres) within 45 minutes of the city?

If we decide to one day move from where we currently live in northwest Washington state, we will not be on a tight budget for a home, but we would still like to live in at least a relatively affordable area?

Last edited by Viper2; 06-01-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,620,013 times
Castlewood Canyon. Just went for the first time today. Excellent hiking (did one of the moderate loops) and it's GORGEOUS. $6 park fee to get in, completely worth it. Great to see Cherry Creek further upstream, too.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 PM

In my opinion, Denver and Boulder can be lumped together. Boulder is in the Denver area. Fort Collins and Colorado Springs are separate.

The less you limit your job search, the better chance you have. Of those places, Denver-Boulder is going to have the most jobs but also the most competition. Fort Collins is probably the hardest of the 4 to find a job in. The Denver area has multiple "tech centers" including the Denver Tech Center near I-25 from Arapahoe to Belleview and "Interlocken Loop" in Broomfield.

Not sure which has the most affordable 5 acre properties. I imagine that's going to be pretty expensive in all 4 areas.

As for hiking, Castlewood Canyon is good. I also like Cheyenne Mountain State Park near Colorado Springs as well as hiking areas off US-24 in Pike National Forest. Taking the Pikes Peak railway is a great suggestion for seeing a view without the hike to get there. You could also do a day hike on the Pikes Peak trail which goes up to the top of the Peak starting in Manitou Springs --- some 24 miles rising up 8,000 feet (can't do that whole thing in a day unless you're really hard core and start out at 3am). Just looking at Pikes Peak from the Colorado Springs area is a great view.

Of course there's Rocky Mountain National Park, which is a national park for a reason. It's spectacular.

I'd suggest you find a Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer at a library. That will list and map some hikes and Parks/Wilderness areas.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 AM

84,989 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
My wife and I enjoy hiking. We are only going to be in Colorado for 4 full days, so we don't want to spend too much time just hiking. We also want to see some good scenic overlooks that can be driven to. We would like to see some amenities (ex: shopping malls) in each area in case we decide to move there one day. And I would like to see the tech centers in the areas (for possible future job opportunities).
Finally, what area of the four mentioned (Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Fort Collins) has the most affordable living when looking for a house with acreage (5+ acres) within 45 minutes of the city?

If we decide to one day move from where we currently live in northwest Washington state, we will not be on a tight budget for a home, but we would still like to live in at least a relatively affordable area?
I agree with Davros above me. In addition, look at FlatIron Crossing Mall (generally called Flatirons) in Broomfield and Park Meadows in Douglas County for the best mall shopping in the state. FlatIron Crossing is in the Interlocken Office Park area, which is where the Broomfield high-tech jobs are. I'm not as familiar with the south area, but there are a lot of posters on here who live down there and can talk about the Denver Tech Center. Ft. Collins and COS may have the most affordable housing within 45 min of the city (and the most available land fitting that description), but as Davros said, it won't be cheap anywhere. 45 min. from Denver is pretty much still suburbs/exurbs, though there is a little land meeting your criteria east of Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or