U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:13 PM

16,189 posts, read 20,204,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I don't think it's hundreds that get hit, but it does happen. Mostly as a driver there are a few key places they hang out that you have to watch for.
Agreed. Whenever I am traveling I-70, I especially see them in the late afternoon, early evening. DeBeque canyon, Glenwood canyon, and the stretch from Eagle to Gypsum is where I have noticed more of them lately. That's just my experience though, other travelers experiences are different.

Don't forget the bighorn sheep, they are especially noticeable from Georgetown to Silver Plume, particularly on the west bound side of the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM

79 posts, read 120,259 times
Based on my 2-3 mile walks along there, I'd say there are that many in the whole stretch I mentioned. Many are decomposed, many not so much.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:21 PM

470 posts, read 961,387 times
I-70 in Colorado is the WORST drive on the Interstate Highway system.
I did it once in the early 90's and I would rather remarry my EX and have her mother move in than go down that stretch of road again.

Tunnels+narrow lanes+tight curves+bad weather = POS drive

Old 06-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
I did it once in the early 90's and I would rather remarry my EX and have her mother move in than go down that stretch of road again.

POS drive? Hmm!

Well, it is apparent to me you have never been in this state before (and probably don't want to come through here again). Well, if you don't like I-70, which is obvious, you sure won't like Hwy.50, 40, 285, 160, or any other of the east/west bound routes. Now me? While not a fan of interstates, I take my hat off to the highway people who had the talent to pave these roads and to the highway department who maintains them.

Tunnels, narrow lanes, tight curves? If you thought I-70 was bad try U.S.550 from Ouray to Durango, wait till you get a look at this road because I'm pretty sure a picture will post up on this thread that shows Interstate 70 to be a stroll in the park in comparision.

Now a straight highway going east and west coming out of Denver? Yep! I-25 runs straight to Cheyenne with no tunnels, no narrow lanes, and no tight curves. And then you can scoot across I-80 and bypass Colorado altogether! No tunnels, no narrow lanes, and no tight curves there either! Weather? heh heh heh heh heh!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-05-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 06:57 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Agreed. Whenever I am traveling I-70, I especially see them in the late afternoon, early evening. DeBeque canyon, Glenwood canyon, and the stretch from Eagle to Gypsum is where I have noticed more of them lately. That's just my experience though, other travelers experiences are different.

Don't forget the bighorn sheep, they are especially noticeable from Georgetown to Silver Plume, particularly on the west bound side of the highway.
Also watch around mile marker 157 at Wolcott as they conveniently like to hang around dead mans corner there. Also Edwards at mile marker 163 to Avon 167 is really bad at times. The elk like to congregate on the golf courses at Singletree and Arrowhead and will sometimes move from point to point.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:03 PM

470 posts, read 961,387 times
Quote:
POS drive? Hmm!

Well, it is apparent to me you have never been in this state before (and probably don't want to come through here again). Well, if you don't like I-70, which is obvious, you sure won't like Hwy.50, 40, 285, 160, or any other of the east/west bound routes. Now me? While not a fan of interstates, I take my hat off to the highway people who had the talent to pave these roads and to the highway department who maintains them.

Tunnels, narrow lanes, tight curves? If you thought I-70 was bad try U.S.550 from Ouray to Durango, wait till you get a look at this road because I'm pretty sure a picture will post up on this thread that shows Interstate 70 to be a stroll in the park in comparision.

Now a straight highway going east and west coming out of Denver? Yep! I-25 runs straight to Cheyenne with no tunnels, no narrow lanes, and no tight curves. And then you can scoot across I-80 and bypass Colorado altogether! No tunnels, no narrow lanes, and no tight curves there either! Weather? heh heh heh heh heh!
I have been to Colorado...that's why I commented on the road
And I have been on worse roads in California and Nevada,poster.
Did I enjoy them?
No,not really.

So Colorado has a number of poorly-maintained and dangerous highways...what's your point?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,125,069 times
Yeah, I-70 is for wusses.

You mentioned US550--now there's a mountain road. By the way, I used to drive trucks and trailers over it in my younger days--year-round . . .

Here's some photos (like Double H promised) of 550.

Look, Ma, no guardrail.

Even more fun in the winter. Here CDOT is clearing a snowslide deliberately triggered with explosives (not many years ago, they still used Howitzers to trigger them). Yes, that is the highway that the front loader is working on.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post

Point: As your complaint about Interstate 70 covers the above listed, here are a few stats regarding the area I-70 covers:

Colorado is the eighth largest state in this country. A little more than half of it is flat. The other half has thousands of mountains from 9000 ft. to 14000 ft. high.

I-70 goes through these counties:

Clear Creek-has 90 mountains
Summit-has 90 mountains
Garfield-has 101 mountains
Eagle-has 82 mountains
Mesa-has 177 mountains (stats from Mountain Zone.com.) Tunnels, tight curves, and narrow lanes are part of traveling in this state. On the issue of mountains, you simply have to get around them, go over them, or go through them. Don't know what else to say about it.

Regarding your issue of bad weather. Yep, it can get bad. Several items online basically have Vail receiving 175 to 200 inches of snow per season.

The other side of the coin weather wise for Vail? Temperatures.

The average low for the Vail area:

November-10 degrees
December-3 degrees
January-0 degrees
February-3 degrees

And then 20 minutes east, on top of Vail Pass, you can add another ten to twenty degrees on top of those readings, because you are gaining another 3000 feet in altitude.

Temps? POS? Can't argue a lot with that! Bone rattling!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-05-2010 at 11:55 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 08:59 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Quote:
Point: As your complaint about Interstate 70 covers the above listed, here are a few stats regarding the area I-70 covers:

Colorado is the eighth largest state in this country. A little more than half of it is flat. The other half has thousands of mountains from 9000 ft. to 14000 ft. high.

I-70 goes through these counties:

Clear Creek-has 90 mountains
Summit-has 90 mountains
Garfield-has 101 mountains
Eagle-has 82 mountains
Mesa-has 177 mountains (stats from Mountain Zone.com.) Tunnels, tight curves, and narrow lanes are part of traveling in this state. On the issue of mountains, you simply have to get around them, go over them, or go through them. Don't know what else to say about it.

Regarding your issue of bad weather. Yep, it can get bad. Several items online basically have Vail receiving 175 to 200 inches of snow per season.

The other side of the coin weather wise for Vail? Temperatures.

The average low for the Vail area:

November-10 degrees
December-3 degrees
January-0 degrees
February-3 degrees

And then 20 minutes east, on top of Vail Pass, you can add another ten to twenty degrees on top of those readings, because you are gaining another 3000 feet in altitude.

Temps? POS? Can't argue a lot with that! Bone rattling!
That's the deal with I-70. It had to go somewhere and personally I don't mind it on the whole.

Vail Pass and at the Eisenhower and Johnson tunnels, the average up there is about 400 inches of snow a season. Sometimes it can be more.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,915,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover10 View Post
How often does I-70 close in the winter? Is it safe to travel up until it closes? I am refering to the section between Glenwood springs and Denver. How long does it take to drive from GS to Denver? Thanks
In clear weather with dry roads, it's about a 2.5 hour drive from Denver to GS.

In the winter, I-70 closures are common and can last anywhere from a couple hours (vehicle accidents) to a day (bad winter storm) to several days (rock slide.) The most common reasons for closure are accidents and weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or