Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 22,720 times

Advertisements

How often does I-70 close in the winter? Is it safe to travel up until it closes? I am refering to the section between Glenwood springs and Denver. How long does it take to drive from GS to Denver? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:04 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mover10 View Post
How often does I-70 close in the winter? Is it safe to travel up until it closes? I am refering to the section between Glenwood springs and Denver. How long does it take to drive from GS to Denver? Thanks
If traffic isn't snarled, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Bad road conditions alone seldom cause I-70 to be closed. It usually closes when a bunch of dumbasses who can't drive safely in any kind of even moderately adverse winter driving conditions--either through ignorance or carelessness--"mix it up" in some pileup. Then the road has to be closed until the authorities can get everything sorted out, the wrecks removed, etc.

So, is it safe to drive on I-70 in winter? That all depends on conditions and what kind of idiots are surrounding you on the road. Each year there seem to be more of those . . .

Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM

486 posts, read 1,490,437 times
Don't forget the rockslides that have closed I-70 a couple of times in recent years.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:19 PM

6 posts, read 22,720 times
Default 3 to 3 1/2 hours?

Is this time for dry roads/little traffic?

Old 06-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Quote:
Depends on the winter, there is no set answer. In recent years CDOT has started closing Vail Pass and the tunnel a bit more often when problems arise. Since 2005 there have been 3 significant long term closures(weeks, months) and/or narrowing down to 2 lanes in Glenwood Canyon due to rockslides and a beer truck.

Having done 600,000 miles between Aspen and Denver and all points in between, my advice to anyone is when the weather is bad is to avoid traveling. I can cite too many stories to say it is not worthwhile.

And actually the summer can be just as bad, especially Friday night to Sunday night. Accidents, traffic, rock slides you name it.

Glenwood Canyon, I can speak from experience also can having significant icing problems in winter.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
In the dry and with clear traffic it was an easy 3 hours for me.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM

Like wanneroo, I've got hundreds of thousands of miles of Colorado mountain driving under my belt. Because of all the traffic and idiots, I avoid I-70 like the plague anytime that I can. I will have to drive some of it on a business trip taking me back and forth across the state next week, but I will be dreading it and routing myself to avoid as much of I-70 as possible. I hate the road and the recreational suburbia it has created just that much.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:09 PM

79 posts, read 143,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Like wanneroo, I've got hundreds of thousands of miles of Colorado mountain driving under my belt. Because of all the traffic and idiots, I avoid I-70 like the plague anytime that I can. I will have to drive some of it on a business trip taking me back and forth across the state next week, but I will be dreading it and routing myself to avoid as much of I-70 as possible. I hate the road and the recreational suburbia it has created just that much.
A little off-topic, but I have to mention the havoc its wreaked on the natural elk migration routes on the stretch between Dotsero and Avon. I70 literally rips them in half. When I hike to fish the Eagle I walk along an old RR line below the eastbound lane and am dismayed by the hundreds of elk carcasses I have to navigate around.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenIron View Post
A little off-topic, but I have to mention the havoc its wreaked on the natural elk migration routes on the stretch between Dotsero and Avon. I70 literally rips them in half. When I hike to fish the Eagle I walk along an old RR line below the eastbound lane and am dismayed by the hundreds of elk carcasses I have to navigate around.
I don't think it's hundreds that get hit, but it does happen. Mostly as a driver there are a few key places they hang out that you have to watch for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado