U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 13,388 times

Advertisements

Planning on moving to Paonia, CO this July from Michigan. I'm a little nervous about driving through the mountains with a full load. I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe with AWD. I would like to pull a small trailer (something like the 4x8 from UHaul) but don't know if it's possible with the mountain driving.

Any advice on the best route through the Rockies for this or is it not recommended to pull a trailer on those roads with my little car? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,483,318 times
What is your car's rated towing capacity?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 13,388 times
The "trailer towing capacity" is 1500 lbs according to:
2003 Pontiac Vibe - Specs, Specifications, Data

Not sure if that is for AWD or the regular or if it would be the same anyway. UHaul tells me my car can do it...at least on flat ground.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
You should be fine as long as you stick to the towing capacity and the speed limit of the trailer! Too often people exceed the trailer's speed limit (usually 45 mph) by a big margin and they end up putting it in a ditch.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM

2,093 posts, read 2,693,098 times
So.....how much does the empty trailer weigh ? What does that leave you for cargo ? Why not rent a truck, something with more HP and larger brakes, load it and tow your car ? I-70 from west Denver (roughly 5,280 feet in elevation at mile marker 260) reaches 11,013' at mile marker 215 (Eisenhour tunnel). So in 45 miles you are climbing almost a mile in elevation. Exiting the tunnel westbound, trucks are warned "7% grade next 6 miles, trucks over 30K lbs = 30 miles per hour", then there is another 2.5 miles of 5-6% grade.

I'd suggest you re-think the plan of using your small car as a tow vehicle...it's not made to do what you are contemplating.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 06-09-2010, 11:19 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,483,318 times
I agree with gemstone. I wouldn't do it! I think Click and Clack would agree!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,179 times
I agree with Delta. I'm not Click and Clack, but I've been a mechanic since 1969. Driven wreckers in the mountains around Gunnison and Boulder for years. The key will be to prepare for the trip. Heat is the biggest enemy of your transmission. Make sure your transmission has been serviced and your cooling system and brakes are in top condition. Allow yourself plenty of time for the trip. Plan on following the U-Haul 55 mph towing limit. Try to schedule what you expect will be steep grades for early morning or when ambient temp will be cool. If you see the engine temp gauge climbing, slow down or stop till the engine cools down. Don't let car speed get away from you going down hill.

If you use a little common sense and some care you will be just fine.

Jusbe Cuzman

Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,064 times
Hey I'm just curious how the move went and how you're liking it in Paonia? I lived there for a while and am thinking about coming back soon. Would love to hear the perspective of someone who just got there...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 AM

4 posts, read 12,243 times
Default What is Paonia like?

I am considering relocating from florida...i have lived here my entire life and the humidity and mosquitoes have finally gotten the best of me...and, i want a life do-over! Is Paonia considered part of the western slope? how hot does it get in the summer, and how cold in the winter? do you need 4-wheel drive? how much snow? are the town-folk friendly to outsiders? are there nice (not million-dollar) homes for sale? any information/advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver143 View Post
I am considering relocating from florida...i have lived here my entire life and the humidity and mosquitoes have finally gotten the best of me...and, i want a life do-over! Is Paonia considered part of the western slope? how hot does it get in the summer, and how cold in the winter? do you need 4-wheel drive? how much snow? are the town-folk friendly to outsiders? are there nice (not million-dollar) homes for sale? any information/advice would be appreciated.
A schizophrenic town divided among hippies, coal miners, monied retirees and shrinking agriculture. House prices are less than many Western Slope locales, but decent-paying jobs are essentially non-existent unless one wants to be an underground coal miner. 80's and 90's for high temperatures in the summer, highs in the 30's and 40's in the winter, with a few days each winter with below zero lows, many well below freezing. Snowfall is variable from year to year, usually 30"-50" per winter. Some winters have significant snowcover for a month or more, some have none. Of all of the communities in Delta County, and I know all of them well, I would consider Paonia the least friendly--too many divergent lifestyles trying to co-exist and too many transplants with metropolitan attitudes from elsewhere. Over the past couple of decades, many of the long-time residents have moved away--either fed up with what the community has become (a common occurrence all across the Western Slope) or because they simply could not make a living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado