U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,238,744 times

Advertisements

Good Gracious.

Sometimes I wish there was a Catholic nun (is there any other nun?) to slap the people's hands with a yard stick that resurrect threads that should have stayed silent...especially those that had been started by someone no longer welcome and well over a year ago.

If they contain good information, please bring it back to light but this thread is one of those that make you want to slam your head on your keyboard and have QWERTY stamped on your head.

On to your regular schedule. OIL...now it's about OIL. I think Bugs Bunny would appreciate the wrong turn at Albuquerque in this instance.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 09:53 AM

7,794 posts, read 17,541,963 times
The person who determines which threads SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be resurrected is making that determination based on their own beliefs. Apparently, several of us beleived differently and chose to participate in the resurrected thread. No one is forcing anyone else to participate, so let's us keep the thread alive for those who wish to participate.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:58 AM

16,434 posts, read 20,132,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
The person who determines which threads SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be resurrected is making that determination based on their own beliefs. Apparently, several of us beleived differently and chose to participate in the resurrected thread. No one is forcing anyone else to participate, so let's us keep the thread alive for those who wish to participate.
Amen to that. It seems too often threads are closed because it expresses an opinion not shared by the ones that can close a thread.

My opinion on the future of Colorado cities is that none have an especially bright future, at least long term, because of the increasing water shortage. Colorado was never meant to support so many people, and the aquifers are rapidly being exhausted. Unless some grandious project to pipe in some Great Lakes water can be bulldozed through congress to be funded by a bankrupt fed and paid for by bankrupt taxpayers, I don't see it improving in our lifetime. I see Colorado losing population in the near future, not gaining. Same for Arizona and Nevada and SoCal. No water=no people.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:16 PM

7,794 posts, read 17,541,963 times
Like you Bideshi, I don't see the situation in Colorado improving during my lifetime. Nonetheless there may be others having greater insight and vision, who are able to see solutions that elude the limited vision of people like us.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:55 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,238,744 times
So we are all doomed.

I need not repeat myself so I give you this instead: http://www.city-data.com/forum/5233349-post32.html

Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 AM

16,434 posts, read 20,132,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COflower View Post
So we are all doomed.
Not quite. We are all heading into an economic hard time but that didn't spell doom for the depression era people and it won't for us either. It was hard times but not end time. We will have to recognise and adapt to a lower standard of living, make our peace with that evil nuclear energy, confront the conservationists and oil companies and concentrate on tidal, wind, solar, geothermal and evil coal*. We will have to get used to certain fruits and vegetables not being available year round. We will have to get used to growing some of our own. Our way of life will be changed dramaticaly, but we will still be living (though maybe somewhere else where there is water) and it may well be a better life than what we have now. It's "live differently" not "stop living".

*Coal will buy us some time, maybe 100 years, and we must use that last abundant source of fossil fuel to transform to alternate energy. It can't be "business as usual" until the lights go out. Nuclear is also a stopgap that will only last a relatively short time; there's not that much uranium either.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 AM

992 posts, read 666,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Some will point out that it all will be OK because--after all--the state is still growing in population. The dark question no one asks is when that population growth will reach the "tipping point"--the point when neither the economy nor the ecology of the state can support its population, and the crash ensues. My personal theory, based on my experience of a number of years of study of both the Colorado economy and ecology, is that Colorado is dangerously close to reaching that tipping point, probably sooner than anyone would like to think. And, sadly, I don't think it is just Colorado that is in peril--I think the whole country is about to enter a dark and dangerous era--one that few Americans are equipped to handle.
That's cute^^^
Colorado has a population density of 20 people per square kilometer. Europe has a population density of 120 people per square kilometer. Colorado could have 5 times its population (27.3 million people) and it would be just fine, even though it will never approach that anytime soon, if ever.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:46 AM

7,387 posts, read 4,247,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
That's cute^^^
Colorado has a population density of 20 people per square kilometer. Europe has a population density of 120 people per square kilometer. Colorado could have 5 times its population (27.3 million people) and it would be just fine, even though it will never approach that anytime soon, if ever.
What a ridiculous assumption. CO has a semi-arid climate, which translates to much lower carrying capacity for animal life, including the biggest carbon footprinter of all, people living a modern lifestyle.

Just because one horse (or whatever) can live without supplemental water and food on X acres in one ecosystem (without depleting the land) does not mean that 100X acres in another ecosystem can sustain 100 horses. Maybe the other place can only sustain one horse on 10 acres, so you would need 1000 acres for the same level of sustainability with 100 horses.

Water and soil set limits that aren't the same everywhere.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 AM

5,894 posts, read 5,433,556 times
The original post was reasonably accurate about areas that would do well, not so much about those that would fall. Parts of one or more might in 5-10-20 more years.

The peak oil / energy warners were not so right in the last 10 years. May eventually but they have been not right yet for 40 years and probably won't be for at least 10-20 more.

Ecological change / damage, yes. Continuing and accelerating.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-16-2017 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 11:32 AM

760 posts, read 681,165 times
Can anyone help clarify some potential misinformation I may have?

So with Boulder, I believe they currently hold the most seats in the county government? It seems like the city of Boulder basically runs most of the decisions in the county, and many of them are self interest and Pro-Boulder. Personally, I just don't *get* Boulder. They seem to love to add thousands upon thousands of high paying jobs, without adding any additional housing, or without building on their green space. I also believe the city of Boulder screwed over the whole region by not letting Google lay down free fiber internet?

Longmont, and all other surrounding cities, have been growing like crazy because Boulder has basically put an artificial cap on their population. So what happens when Longmont grows to a point where they have the majority population. Would they then get majority within the county government? It seems like every city around Boulder hates Boulder. So is it possible that Longmont could basically gobble up the county, and therefore start making decisions against Boulder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado