Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:56 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
Well, based on your previous posts, you have a higher opinion of some politicians over others. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here, discussing Alvin Greene.

I can always ALWAYS find a reason to vote for one candidate over another.

So since you didn't vote, maybe you should keep quiet.

Or just like you suggested yourself, run for office. If you can do a better job, then South Carolina needs you.
What does me discussing Alvin Greene have anything to do with whether I have higher opinions of some politicians over others? I hate Jim Demint and I hate Alvin Greene. I wish there was a way they could both lose. Where does it say on the forum that I have to keep quiet and can't post in this thread just because I didn't vote? I don't see that stated anywhere in the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Op-Ed Columnist - S.C. Strikes Again - NYTimes.com

Quote:
I’m sorry we have to keep coming back to South Carolina. There are 50 states, and I’m sure every single one has some really peculiar political phenomena that we could make fun of if time allowed.

But South Carolina has definitely been on a roll.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:31 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This was a good column. I like what she had to say. She could have been a lot tougher on South Carolina considering some of the political stories that have come out lately, but thankfully she wasn't.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
Quote:
The comments section to this Op-Ed are quite interesting.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 AM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
The journalist drifts off and stops talking about South Carolina. That's a good thing.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,959 times
I saw this guy doing some interviews and was stunned. How could this happen, I wondered. After reading this thread it begins to make some sense. He didn't put himself out there, so he was just a name and a way to vote against somebody. But how did he get on the ballot? He doesn't have the brain power to have done that himself?

But the bottom line is the voters did it! Those who voted for him and those who stayed home. I don't think it is a South Carolina thing. South Carolina is a wonderful place in my opinion. (Am not from SC by the way.) I think it is a particular group of voters thing. A number--enough for a majority-- of voters are lacking in good judgement. (And it isn't limited to SC)

How else could you explain the Sarah Palin nonsense---there are plenty of good people--articulate and intelligent who could push the conservative agenda--yet they pick this woman, who has never made a serious policy speech with levels of thought or intricate analysis, and who has made idiotic comments about almost every important issue, to run the show. The voters did it. Particularly those who sat on their hands. And they have egg on their face. It could happen anywhere.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:14 AM

But why does SC over and over again, seemingly with no end in sight, embarrass itself and make itself fodder for nationally-televised jokes and news magazines? I worry that most of the people moving to SC are moving here because they think the same way as SC politicians who are always ending up in national news because of some anti-government or racist/xenophobic comment they've made. BTW I am a native South Carolinian who hopes not to be ultimately run out of my home state by a political tone I can no longer live with, even in insulated Columbia.

Alvin Greene doesn't live in Columbia or the Columbia MSA, though, so I don't know why this discussion was started as a Columbia thread.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Alvin Greene doesn't live in Columbia or the Columbia MSA, though, so I don't know why this discussion was started as a Columbia thread.
I said the same thing, and even brought it to the attention of a moderator. Moderating seems to be a joke here on CD though, so I'm not surprised.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,153 times
Quote:
I said the same thing, and even brought it to the attention of a moderator. Moderating seems to be a joke here on CD though, so I'm not surprised.
Why wouldn't it be a Columbia issue? The man managed to pull in almost 14,000 votes from Richland county alone. The people have spoken.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM

A senator represents the whole state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area