U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 AM

7,339 posts, read 5,907,333 times

Advertisements

When a person comes to Columbia and looks for homeless people because they have a negative attitude toward Columbia in the first place, they're going to see homeless people. Anyone who would say homeless people aren't starting to blend in on Main Street here is behind the times as far as what's going on in an increasingly vibrant part of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM

6,448 posts, read 8,963,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

As accutfitgolf stated, Charleston keeps the homeless away from their most important tourist area (downtown). Other cities do this as well. Columbia seems to let them congregate downtown.
"Let them"?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Columbia does it the right way.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 AM

314 posts, read 653,864 times
Quote:
I travel weekly to numerous cities and yes I do see homeless in other cities, but you have to remember, in larger cities, the homeless are dilluted by the numbers and blend in.

Any day in Finlay Park, you notice a great deal of homeless. They do not blend in. All cities have homeless, but for some reason, homeless are very noticeable in central Columbia (Main Street / Finlay Park / etc).

As accutfitgolf stated, Charleston keeps the homeless away from their most important tourist area (downtown). Other cities do this as well. Columbia seems to let them congregate downtown.
I would also venture to guess the larger the city the more homeless. Listen I don't live in Columbia but in the 3 1/2 years my child has been there for school I have visited many times and although I have seem some homeless I don't feel it has been a barrage of them. I guess the suggestions of shipping them off to another area, out of sight out of mind mentality is sad. These are people and with the state of the country their fate could befall any one of us.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 AM

7,995 posts, read 7,045,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
I guess the suggestions of shipping them off to another area, out of sight out of mind mentality is sad. These are people and with the state of the country their fate could befall any one of us.
I'm not saying "ship them off". What I (and others on here) are suggesting, is that homeless shelters be placed in neighborhhoods with more discrete locations, away from what should be the main tourist areas. The fact that the city opened a new homeless shelter on Main Street.....that is just bad planning. No restaurants / retail / tourist want to be around homeless shelters. Yes, we all know homeless exist, but tourist don't want to see that when they visit a city. In Columbia, the homeless problem that exist in Finlay Park and the Main Street area is a bit too "in your face" for many.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying "ship them off". What I (and others on here) are suggesting, is that homeless shelters be placed in neighborhhoods with more discrete locations, away from what should be the main tourist areas. The fact that the city opened a new homeless shelter on Main Street.....that is just bad planning. No restaurants / retail / tourist want to be around homeless shelters. Yes, we all know homeless exist, but tourist don't want to see that when they visit a city. In Columbia, the homeless problem that exist in Finlay Park and the Main Street area is a bit too "in your face" for many.
Then you run into the NIMBY syndrome. It happened over and over and over in Columbia until they decided the place for those less fortunate is in our "front yard." Great thinking. Not all cities are sophisticated enough to view the plight of the homeless as everyone's problem that calls for progressive thinking and sensible solutions.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
First of all, of course shelters should be placed in discrete locations. Otherwise, they'd be placed in indistinct or infinite locations. (You meant "discreet". No one likes diction police, I know, but that one bugs me.)

Second, the "shelter" on Main St is away from the main retail drag and is a transitional housing center. It's not a sleeping center. That type of winter shelter is out of the way. I volunteer for one that's well off the beaten path, but close enough to be useful for the bulk of the homeless population.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,279,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It's not a sleeping center. That type of winter shelter is out of the way. I volunteer for one that's well off the beaten path, but close enough to be useful for the bulk of the homeless population.
Actually, just to clarify, the new shelter does have a short term/overnight component. It operates alongside their long term/transition housing.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Actually, just to clarify, the new shelter does have a short term/overnight component. It operates alongside their long term/transition housing.
So it does. My point is that this is an attractive facility where it's rare to see folks hanging around outside. If you didn't know what it was, it would be hard to guess. This "homeless shelter on Main St" drum some folks are beating paints an image that doesn't reflect the reality of what the place is and what it does.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM

7,995 posts, read 7,045,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
With the opening of this new shelter, did the Oliver Gospel close?
It is also right at Main......less than a block off Main. Multiple homeless shelters on Main are not a winning strategy for tourism / Main Street vibrancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area