U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,248,068 times
Default Midlands leaders banding together

Leaders from 11 Midlands counties, including the mayors of Columbia, Lexington, Camden, Cayce, West Columbia and others, officially kicked off the regional cooperation era today. This is a first. Several of them said at the podium that we're all in it together and that people who aren't from here don't know or care about city, town or county boundaries, and that we have to be one to compete on a global level.

Midlands leaders meet, break bread on regional cooperation efforts - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 AM

3,346 posts, read 4,164,164 times
OK.. .Im going to chalk this one up under either the Cola Airport didnt ask for any money or didnt need any money for airport improvements. I have not flown out of CAE in a while soooo I guess they have everything they need? I know that there is suppose to the extension of the Hardee Expressway that will tie in with I-26.. but I guess that is coming out of a different pot of money.....

S.C. Politics Today (http://thestatecom.typepad.com/ygatoday/2010/07/sc-airports-to-get-10-million-in-federal-grants-.html - broken link)

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM

8,190 posts, read 6,070,856 times
^CAE did apply: Airport to apply for grant to improve service - Business - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2010/06/30/1356213/aviation-expert-focus-on-attracting.html - broken link)

Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 AM

6,364 posts, read 8,611,002 times
I'd fly CAE every time if it weren't usually 50% more expensive than Charlotte for the places I want to go. Though Charlotte has spiked, too.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 AM

839 posts, read 970,910 times
Be sure to check that every time you need to fly. I was looking to book a business trip in September and the fare is less than $400 from CAE changing planes in Charlotte. The same flight direct from Charlotte is $413. In this case I save about $24 by flying out of CAE.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 AM

1,354 posts, read 1,208,556 times
I will remember to check every single time I fly. So far I have been very unlucky. For every flight that I have taken out of this region so far, it has been significantly cheaper to fly out of Charlotte.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM

6,364 posts, read 8,611,002 times
I'm a rabid airfare deal hunter. I check fares out of CAE, CLT, GSP, AGS, FLO, MYR, CHS, and sometimes even as far as RDU (depending on how far I'm going and how much I could save).

The deals move around. For a while, I was getting better deals out of Florence, of all places, than I was out of even Charlotte. The flight would go from FLO to CLT, land, and then go on to a final destination. The trip was less expensive from Florence than it was to fly directly from Charlotte to the final destination (usually Chicago) on the exact same flight. Yep. You could save 50 bucks by taking an extra short flight before boarding the plane in Charlotte. Plus Florence is a breeze to fly out of since the airport is the size of a doctor's office. (Literally)

For the routes I fly most frequently, CAE is generally not the least expensive option. Factor in that it costs more to park at CAE than it does at CLT, and factor in how few of their flights are direct to anywhere I want to go, and CAE stops making much sense. I fly through there for work sometimes if an external client is picking up travel costs, but even when my company is picking up the tab (we're fairly small), I usually fly out of a different airport.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM

3,346 posts, read 4,164,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
^CAE did apply: Airport to apply for grant to improve service - Business - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2010/06/30/1356213/aviation-expert-focus-on-attracting.html - broken link)
From THE STATE: " Mann said that the SW announcement spurred an unprecedented amount of interest in the airport and its operations"

From who?? other airlines, food vendors, the cub scouts asking for tours? I guess they are referring to business and community leaders because later said that calls from both US Airways and Delta were not returned

I guess THE STATE wants readers to draw their own conclusions....so I will get out my pencil and draw Jet Blue at CAE

Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 8,123,701 times
I have never saved enough money to make flying out of Charlotte worthwhile. MY most common destinations and NYC, Chicago and Phoenix and there hasn't been a big difference in fares for me - certainly not enough to drive 200 miles roundtrip and add hassle to my overall trip.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM

430 posts, read 885,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I have never saved enough money to make flying out of Charlotte worthwhile. MY most common destinations and NYC, Chicago and Phoenix and there hasn't been a big difference in fares for me - certainly not enough to drive 200 miles roundtrip and add hassle to my overall trip.
Matt, I'm wondering what the difference in fares to Chicago is, since by far that is where I fly to most often (my family still lives there). Out of Charlotte I can consistently get in the $200-$250 range. The cheapest I have ever gotten out of CAE is $280 (when we did actually fly out of CAE - this was the lone exception). But when typical fares to Chicago are $300-$400, and you factor in the much cheaper parking at CLT, and many folks in the Midlands, particularly in the Northeast, only have to drive about 45-60 minutes extra each way, and you're a family of four who really want a non-stop and not a connection, then the savings and benefits of using CLT RAPIDLY add up. The driving costs are only an issue if you are going to account for cost of ownership, insurance, maintenance, etc., but for most folks, only gasoline and some wear-and-tear are the only factors in terms of marginal cost of driving to CLT. For the single business traveler, the value proposition may still lean towards flying out of CAE, especially if time is of the essence (and someone else is paying for it), but for leisure travel, it's often a slam-dunk to fly out of Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area