Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,126 times

Advertisements

A really fun read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:22 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
I think what the majority of people do not understand is that the US has at least 6 very distinct regions. So unless a NYC family moves to say Chicago or LA they are going to experience a bit of a culture shock, and probably a bit of a weather shock as well. It makes no difference if the move is North/South or East/West; there is always an adjustment to make. I always advise people that are moving to come with a sense of adventure for there is much to discover, and to not compare the past life with the new life for there will be some stark differences in region to region from COL to weather, to topography and demographics, to politics and religion. . .

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM

191 posts, read 502,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I think what the majority of people do not understand is that the US has at least 6 very distinct regions. So unless a NYC family moves to say Chicago or LA they are going to experience a bit of a culture shock, and probably a bit of a weather shock as well. It makes no difference if the move is North/South or East/West; there is always an adjustment to make. I always advise people that are moving to come with a sense of adventure for there is much to discover, and to not compare the past life with the new life for there will be some stark differences in region to region from COL to weather, to topography and demographics, to politics and religion. . .
Personally, I think that's pretty obvious. It's the finer details that you find amusing once you relocate...

Old 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,379,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post

One thing I am trying to understand is why the general public is often so negative here (this is based on many comments I read on The State and other web pages and I have (over)heard in conversations. Whatever the federal goverment does is wrong, whatever the state goverment does is wrong, education is just a waste of money for many people, etc. I have never lived in a state that had a more negative vibe in that respect. I assume this has to do with the fact that SC politicians are the worst and most unqualified I have ever experienced, no matter what party they are from.
Interesting observation. SC has an interesting governmental structure. The legislature is part time, and paid pretty poorly for their work in the State House, as these things go (which is true of many states, but worth mentioning). However, this legislature is much stronger than the Governor, who is pretty weak and has little control of spending. He (or maybe she?) does, however, draw most of the public ire for bad decisions, which provides a pretty solid cover for poorly paid state reps to perform sub-par work.

Furthermore, SC has been bitten by the "gov't isn't the answer" bug for some time, which causes a little bit of an issue. Gov't gets smaller and smaller and less able to perform its duties and receives less and less in tax revenue, but when anything goes wrong, it's the gov't's fault. So it's circular. Strip away government power, but maintain governmental blame. But at the same time, there's not an awful lot of legislative oversight here, so there's no REAL accountability. Which exacerbates the situation.

Anyway, this is probably something for another thread, but it's an interesting observation.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,367 times
Well, government *isn't* the answer... I'm glad to hear that the Legislature is part-time too!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catquilt View Post
Well, government *isn't* the answer... I'm glad to hear that the Legislature is part-time too!
That's fine. We can chat about it on another thread.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM

22 posts, read 37,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catquilt View Post
This is exactly what I mean. I have never been in a state where this type of opininon is louder.

Another example of the blame game is SC is higher education here. USC, for example, was reduced to only about 10% of its total budget as income from the state (lower income than vending on campus...), yet many people here believe the state pays 100% and should have 100% control (and its wasting taxpayers money). Same I have heard about Clemson, MUSC, high schools, middle schools, lower schools, etc. Makes no snese to me, but maybe I am too rational.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM

36 posts, read 125,202 times
Just wanted to mention, there is a very popular adult indoor soccer league at the Plex.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower-222 View Post
Just wanted to mention, there is a very popular adult indoor soccer league at the Plex.
I've heard about that. Downside is that it's a little bit of a drive if you live downtown, but it's worth a mention.

'Course, you can play outdoor soccer here in the winter... Unlike in some areas, an indoor league is MUCH more crucial here in the summer.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:06 PM

191 posts, read 502,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

Furthermore, SC has been bitten by the "gov't isn't the answer" bug for some time, which causes a little bit of an issue. Gov't gets smaller and smaller and less able to perform its duties and receives less and less in tax revenue, but when anything goes wrong, it's the gov't's fault. So it's circular. Strip away government power, but maintain governmental blame. But at the same time, there's not an awful lot of legislative oversight here, so there's no REAL accountability. Which exacerbates the situation.
Well, It's the South. Painting with a broad brush, it's pretty safe to say that there is far less support for government or any sort of local municipal organization. I can only assume that is why so much of Richland County is unincorporated? Certainly a different type format that what you'll see in the NE, though I still saw similar type views from the old time libertarian type folks in some of the more rural areas of Northern New England... Certainly seems to have kept the cost of living down. IMHO, it does often come at a cost. Namely city development, greenspace and other improvements that keep a community progressive, attractive to business and ultimately a more desirable place to live. Of course, many folks like the way things are - and that's fair point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area