Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:49 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,603 times

Advertisements

The humidity in Columbia is compareable to pretty much anywhere in the southeast (Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.). I've actually been to San Diego and was surprised as to how much it actually felt like SC (humidity wise). When we visited L.A. though it was a different story. L.A. was less humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 21,158 times
Default USC - You'll love it!

I have a son that attends USC/Columbia and he loves it!!!!!! You will want to go there much more than Atlanta. Atlanta has much more crime and much more expensive. Don't know much about Albany, NY except that the weather would be much different than what you are used to. Columbia's winters are pretty mild and the summers are hot and humid. USC has great restaurants and a lot to do and is easy to get around.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:03 AM

10 posts, read 48,771 times
Default more info :)

Is USC a respected college in the South? Does it have prestige in the South comparable to USC (Southern California) in the West? USC in CA is a nice school, but the surrounding area is very bad. Is the surrounding area in Columbia around the university nice as well? Also, (for me and also for my parents) are there Catholic elementary schools, high schools, churches in the Columbia area? And there must be a Target/Walmart in the city, right? How expensive is the gas there? I bet not like it is here in CA! I would like the comforts of a city with a small town feel. That would be great. Thanks. Oh, and is there a Trader Joe's? I'm big on organic, soy, tofu, and healthy stuff, although I also like strawberry pie !

Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeprsn View Post
Is USC a respected college in the South? Does it have prestige in the South comparable to USC (Southern California) in the West?
Well, respect is relative. I would say that it isn't as well-respected as Southern Cal. If you ask me, it is on par with Georgia, NC State, Clemson, College of Charleston, Auburn, Florida State, Tennessee, etc. It does not carry the weight of UVA, Florida, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, or Vanderbilt.

Quote:
USC in CA is a nice school, but the surrounding area is very bad. Is the surrounding area in Columbia around the university nice as well? Also, (for me and also for my parents) are there Catholic elementary schools, high schools, churches in the Columbia area?
USC is an urban campus, so there are a wide variety of neighborhoods nearby. There are good and bad neighborhoods near campus. I know Columbia has Catholic schools, and I presume there are Catholic churches as well. The area is predominantly Protestant, though, so you may not have quite as many options.

Quote:
And there must be a Target/Walmart in the city, right?
Yes, both.

Quote:
Oh, and is there a Trader Joe's? I'm big on organic, soy, tofu, and healthy stuff, although I also like strawberry pie !
I'd actually never heard of Trader Joe's until people from California started asking about it on citydata. We have a Fresh Market, World Market, Earthfare, etc., that sell organic foods. From what I hear, they aren't as "good" as trader joe's, although I don't know why.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Quote:
Is USC a respected college in the South? Does it have prestige in the South comparable to USC (Southern California) in the West?
Well, respect is relative. I would say that it isn't as well-respected as Southern Cal. If you ask me, it is on par with Georgia, NC State, Clemson, College of Charleston, Auburn, Florida State, Tennessee, etc. It does not carry the weight of UVA, Florida, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, or Vanderbilt.
That depends on which schools you consider. Clemson is well regarded in the field of ceramic engineering, (something like 85% of artificial hips are based on a Clemson design). USC's business school has been ranked number 1 or 2 overall by US News and World Report for the past 18 years.

Quote:
Quote:
USC in CA is a nice school, but the surrounding area is very bad. Is the surrounding area in Columbia around the university nice as well? Also, (for me and also for my parents) are there Catholic elementary schools, high schools, churches in the Columbia area?
USC is an urban campus, so there are a wide variety of neighborhoods nearby. There are good and bad neighborhoods near campus. I know Columbia has Catholic schools, and I presume there are Catholic churches as well. The area is predominantly Protestant, though, so you may not have quite as many options.
On Assembly St you have St Peter's Cathedral, on Calhoun you have Good Shepard (It's a small community), on Hampton you have St Martin De Porres (which is largely African American), on Devine you have St Joseph's. Further out off Bush Rd you have Our Lady of the Hills, out on Polo Rd you have St John Neumann, in Blythwood you have Transfiguration and finally out on Hwy 1 in Lexington you have Corpus Christi.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM

330 posts, read 1,401,788 times
I think USC is as respected in the South as the other USC is respected in Cali. And the Carolina campus is 100xs safer than SoCal - OMG - the first time we went over to the Natural History Museum - I couldn't believe that such a prestigious school was surrounded by a slum. The Carolina campus is surrounded by retail establishments - the state capital and residential areas. Sadly - there is not Trader Joes - or Jamba Juice - (two things I will miss most about Cali) - but there is a long time health food grocer on Rosewood - the Rosewood Market - it was there that I had my first tofu and seitan dishes way back in the 80s. They were well ahead of their time in SC. You'll be able to find good things there. It's about 2 miles from campus.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Is USC a respected college in the South? Does it have prestige in the South comparable to USC (Southern California) in the West? USC in CA is a nice school, but the surrounding area is very bad. Is the surrounding area in Columbia around the university nice as well? Also, (for me and also for my parents) are there Catholic elementary schools, high schools, churches in the Columbia area? And there must be a Target/Walmart in the city, right? How expensive is the gas there? I bet not like it is here in CA! I would like the comforts of a city with a small town feel. That would be great. Thanks. Oh, and is there a Trader Joe's? I'm big on organic, soy, tofu, and healthy stuff, although I also like strawberry pie !
There are 4 Targets (one less than 10 minutes from campus) in Columbia and a number of Walmarts and Kmarts. Cardinal Newman is the only Catholic High School that I know of, but most of the parishes have elementary and/or middle schools. Rosewood Market, near campus, is still the best health food/organic food store in Columbia with Earth Fare a close second. Both are within a quick 5 minute drive or short bike ride from campus. The neighborhood immediately surrounding the University is very, very nice with a not so nice area a little further away. Here are a few pictures from the area around USC.

University Hill

Wales Garden

Wheeler Hill

Hollywood Hills (not the hilly part

5 Points

The Vista

The CBD
(From the State House)

University Hill is the neighborhood on the east side of campus, the central business district is just north of the west side of campus, The Vista surrounds the west side of campus and the south side of campus is surrounded by Five Points, Wales Garden, Wheeler Hill and Hollywood Hills. They are all on my website.

Waccamatt's page ·

Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 48,771 times
Thanks for all this information! Of course, more questions: My parents want to move to the same city as me. I don't know if this is good or bad because I will be 22 when I go to USC if I go get into the MPH program. Their house here is worth between 400-500K, maybe more once the bathroom is remodeled. They aren't rich, but they aren't poor. I am the poor one- I make 25 cents over minimum wage . What kind of a house in Columbia can they get in this price range? Also, my dad is an elementary school teacher. Anyone know CA teacher pay in comparison to SC teacher salary? He wants to continue to teach for years to come. My mom will probably retire next year. What is the sales tax in Columbia? Here it is low for CA: only 7.25% sales tax. Our air quality is bad. Is there a lot of smog? Is there a lot of fog? I hate driving in fog. Ok, thanks for the continued help

Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Homes - your parents can get a mansion in Columbia for $500K, depending on where they buy. A very nice home can be had in the $200K-$300K range. Real Estate is very reasonable here - some of the most affordable in the country - due to the fact that Columbia is a transportation hub (interstates and railroads and not far from the coast) and the fact that Columbia is a major brick manufacturing area and a center of granite and sand quarrying (do you quarry sand? Whatever you do to get it.

Teachers' salaries depend on the school district and whether someone has a masters/Phd. Sales tax in Richland County is 6 or 7% on most items with additional taxes on hotels. Real property tax is very low compared to the rest of the country, but taxes on cars are relatively high. The income tax is fairly low. Smog is uncommon, but not unheard of, fog is occasional, but not frequent.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,263 times
Default Looking at USC for grad school

Hello all, I just graduated from the University of Illinois in History and am looking to go into public history/museum. The program offered at USC is one of the best in the nation, so I'm not concerned about that. What I am looking for in a town that I move to is culture. I would like somewhere that's artsy, has the good, quaint(sp?) shopping areas, a nice downtown, good dining, and opportunities for cultural experiences. What is USC and the Columbia area like for these things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area