U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 AM

7,282 posts, read 13,523,592 times

Advertisements

As someone who grew up not far from Columbia, and was in the midst of my formative years when Hootie & the Blowfish became hugely successful, I think it's great that this is happening. Santee Ave in Five Points will be named in honor of the band, and a statue/monument will be unveiled on Thursday.

Hootie: A work of art - Life & Style - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2010/10/17/1516869/hootie-a-work-of-art.html - broken link)

That band did a lot for Columbia. They were the biggest band in America for a while, but they always, always found ways to remember where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:53 PM

3,912 posts, read 5,365,437 times
I agree! Although I'm a little old to get into the Blowfish music, I just love Darius Rucker's country stuff. I remember reading about past charity things they have sponsored and I think they're great! If only all stars could be such generous and wonderful role models.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I agree! Although I'm a little old to get into the Blowfish music, I just love Darius Rucker's country stuff. I remember reading about past charity things they have sponsored and I think they're great! If only all stars could be such generous and wonderful role models.
It was never exactly hard rock.

But I think that it's, like you say, the fact that these guys got huge, but continued to do a lot of good in Columbia and the rest of SC. "Cracked Rear View" is one of the top selling albums in US history (#15 on the list, I think), and even after the band became a memory, the guys still raised money for charity and generally worked to benefit the area.

So, a well-deserved tribute.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,221,813 times
Nice. Funny that Darius Rucker was born around Charleston and now lives around Charleston. Seems Chucktown should do a statue as well.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Nice. Funny that Darius Rucker was born around Charleston and now lives around Charleston. Seems Chucktown should do a statue as well.
Nice try, but Hootie was as Columbia a band as any. They kicked around Five Points for years and years, so it's only appropriate that they get honored there.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 PM

3,912 posts, read 5,365,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Nice try, but Hootie was as Columbia a band as any. They kicked around Five Points for years and years, so it's only appropriate that they get honored there.
And they were formed while they were students at the University of South Carolina!

Here's a nice clip from Wikipedia about their charity work:

"Hootie & The Blowfish have become known not only for their music, but also for their charity work. The entire band and crew traveled to New Orleans for five days of building houses in Musicians' Village, on October 16–20, 2006.[12] The band's members are avid golfers, and have sponsored the annual spring Monday After the Masters Celebrity Pro-Am Golf Tournament, benefiting local charities, since 1995.[13]
Hootie and the Blowfish toured through the Middle East and Europe supporting American troops during a USO Tour. One highlight of the tour was on December 5th 1998, when Darius Rucker broke into an acapela solo of the National Anthem during the lowering of colors onboard USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65) which was docked in Jebel Ali, UAE. The band then played an extended concert for crew members of the aircraft carrier.
Each year from 2005 through 2009, Hootie and the Blowfish performed at The Animal Mission’s 'Party Animals' silent auction and concert to benefit the shelter animals in Columbia, South Carolina. Each year the event raised over $100,000 and allowed the organization to provide a free spay/neuter program for the Southern community’s pets. Hootie and the Blowfish reunited to do a show at Incirlik Air base in Turkey on 18 October 2008, to show their support for the troops.
"Grammy award winning artists Hootie and The Blowfish are taking their charity work to a new level by donating the rights to their best-selling song "Hold My Hand" to aid the working poor. Leading the effort for the band is songwriter and drummer Jim Sonefeld who teamed with the nationally-ranked Benedict College Gospel Choir to produce a new recording of the song. Taking its cue from the song's lyrics, organizers are calling the project, With A Little Love. The idea came about last year as non-profits across the country struggled to raise money during the recession.The message behind "Hold My Hand", first recorded in 1994, was a perfect fit for the current day struggles of many working poor." [14]"

Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I knew that, but, read my post closely. It said nothing about the band. It stated the fact that Darius Rucker was from Charleston and currently lives in Charleston. Seems Charleston should have a statue as well, since the lead singers life revolved around Charleston. Nice try on your part as well.

Wonder why Darius settled down back in the Charleston area and not in Columbia? Anyone know?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I knew that, but, read my post closely. It said nothing about the band. It stated the fact that Darius Rucker was from Charleston and currently lives in Charleston. Seems Charleston should have a statue as well, since the lead singers life revolved around Charleston. Nice try on your part as well.
Great! So your post is admittedly off topic for this thread!

Quote:
Wonder why Darius settled down back in the Charleston area and not in Columbia? Anyone know?
I'll cop. If I had a bucket of money and didn't need to work, I'd get myself a nice big place on the water, too.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Great! So your post is admittedly off topic for this thread!
Unless Darius Rucker was not the lead singer in the band, then no, not off topic. Was Darius Rucker not the lead singer? Is he not part of the statue? Was Darius Rucker not part of Hootie & the Blowfish?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Unless Darius Rucker was not the lead singer in the band, then no, not off topic. Was Darius Rucker not the lead singer? Is he not part of the statue? Was Darius Rucker not part of Hootie & the Blowfish?
Yeah, man. Derail away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area