Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 18,947 times

Advertisements

[quote=geegee1633;16678180]Hey sportsfan. Don't be so hasty! I am an RN, and I work at Providence hospital in Columbia. Yeah, it's country in Elgin, but I can tell you that the schools are great, taxes LOW, and I feel safe. We are only 10-15 minutes from great shopping and activities now that Sandhills Mall has opened in NE Columbia. I live on 4.25 Acres, have dogs, cats, even chickens. Cannot see my neighbors from my house! If this is the life you desire, this is the place. If you prefer city or suburbia, try Forest Acres or Blythwood, respectivel

please can you tell me more about it? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM

18 posts, read 137,779 times
Schools are great?? Compared to what? They might have the best scores in the state but that is not saying much. Go online and check out national test scores, national graduation rates etc. Compare Lugoff/Elgin or any other SC district to other states. By and large there is no comparision.

I moved from a township in a state that truly did have a great school system when compared nationally. When I moved to Lugoff the first thing many people said to me was Lugoff had a great school system. I got online and looked into it, and it may be the best in the area, but it far from being an acceptable district. I chose to homeschool my kids so they don't have to be in that school system.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
If you are not from Camden, you would probably not be happy in Camden. Cost of living is high compared to the services provided, which are none. While it has come a long way since the '70s, they were behind then and they still have a long way to go in terms of diversity. I found the schools in the Lugoff-Elgin area to be better than Camden, but I think (hope to God) they have a new Superintendent because the last one was obviously just there for the money. I grew up in Camden and have a doctorate, so to totally dismiss the schools there is a mistake.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 25,701 times
I've lived in Blythewood for 24 years. I watched this place grow up from a single traffic light town, with one gas station and grocery store to a rather impressive suburb town. I was lucky enough to grab 7.5acres when land was cheap. I once had a doctor ask me "how did you ever get that much land in Blythewood?"... "I can't afford land in Blythewood!!"

People are flocking here because it is really in the perfect location... it has about everything you need... and is only 15mins (give or take) from everything else.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 PM

13 posts, read 43,689 times
We just got a home in Elgin near Heath pond. Its alot more land and home then what I would be able to afford somewhere else! Plus the neighborhood is well maintained and fairly new! I am excited to be moving there later this month. SC may not have the best schools but I believe Elgin is one of the better ones in SC. Plus its right next to i-20 that can take you anywhere within 20 min. Even the sandhill mall (New and awesome) is an ok drive. We have kids and dogs so we made sure to get a Huge lot thats fenced and yet we are on a culdesac so its an actual 'neighborhood' so we DO have neighbors so we dont feel out in the boonies and the kids can make friends close by. Just the neighbors aren't right on top of you. Just some fyi on what we found. Hope it helps in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area