Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 08:52 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

Pretty sad a city with a major university in their downtown can't seem to find any money to support the bus service but can find $100 million to support the failed Innovista project: Bus service faces deep cuts - Newsletters - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2010/11/27/1579494/bus-service-would-be-slashed.html#disqus_thread - broken link) Don't drop the soap.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:33 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Several recent articles show how Innovista is thriving and bringing in new research dollars, and it ain't over till it's over with the bus system.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:01 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Pretty sad a city with a major university in their downtown can't seem to find any money to support the bus service but can find $100 million to support the failed Innovista project: Bus service faces deep cuts - Newsletters - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2010/11/27/1579494/bus-service-would-be-slashed.html#disqus_thread - broken link) Don't drop the soap.
Show me where the city has spent $100 million on Innovista. You can't because that's a flat-out lie.

Furthermore, the issue with bus service is not a one-time lump sum of money, but a permanent funding source. It really helps to know what you're talking about before you start flapping your gums.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Ok, you're right. Not the city itself but taxpayers in the state and USC have committed $100 million in funding for it
Right, and supporting the bus system is not the responsibility of the state or USC. Don't you think you should do a little research before you start spouting off unfounded information?

Quote:
What do you recommend as a permanent funding source seeing how the taxpayers said no to the 1-cent sales tax increase?
Extend the $10 vehicle registration fee ($15 for commercial vehicles) for now. Then go back to the drawing board with the 1-cent sales tax increase and tweak some things to make it more palatable to the voters (reduce the time frame, cut out some projects, reduce another tax in lieu of the penny tax, etc.) in 2012.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Ummm...the state DOES support the bus system though. Check SCDOT's website for funding that goes to local transit agencies including Columbia's.
I'm talking about as a permanent funding source silly. That much should have been obvious since I mentioned that before.

Quote:
Why shouldn't USC support the bus system also? The city sure as heck can't. It is a major university located in the heart of downtown Columbia afterall. Clemson University students pay for the bus system that runs through their city with a $10 transit charge on tuition per student.
USC has its own on-campus shuttle service so it doesn't need to support the bus system since most students don't use it. Things are different in Clemson since the university and the town are practically synonymous.

Quote:
Oh and i'm willing to bet the CITY did spend a ton of money on Innovista that could have gone to the bus system instead. How much though is unclear. If you want to keep getting mad at me over lack of research due to another failure in Columbia then go right ahead because I don't really care.
The city spent $35 million to go towards Innovista facilities at a time when there were no funding issues for the bus system. And this is not a "failure," it's simply a setback as the bus system has not failed. I suppose you don't know that Charleston had the exact same problem but the voters there supported the penny tax after they saw the negative effects of such drastic cuts in the bus system. But I guess you didn't have time to start a thread about that in the Charleston forum now did you? And to even bring up Innovista, which is totally unrelated to the bus system, is absurd. It's quite premature to talk about a long-term venture like Innovista failing after only about four years. It took longer than that to get RTP off the ground.

And obviously you do care, otherwise you wouldn't have even created this thread.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 11-28-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Closed. If you want to discuss the bus service then start a new thread that reflects the topic of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area