Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 11:28 AM

29 posts, read 56,961 times

Advertisements

So, I'm back after a long week in Columbia and the surrounding area. Much to my dismay, we are going to be living at the Rivergate Apts. for at least a year. Due to the timing of our house hunting leave, we had very limited time to look around while we were down. It just happened to fall right in the middle of Thanksgiving, so we really only had a few days to "house hunt." I am not overly joyed at my husbands choice of these apts. but when I was not able to find "something better" in just 2 short days, we were stuck in making a quick decision. I am hoping someone here will be able to tell me that this was not the worst decision possible but from some of the reviews of the apts., I'm not expecting much. Now, I just hope and pray we don't get robbed in the next year because according to a couple of reviews, this is not uncommon. Does anyone have any GOOD info on these apts.?! Anything to make me feel a little better would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 01:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,555,957 times
Where are they located? I'm not familiar with them.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:51 PM

It is off Bentley Dr., about a mile from I-20 & I-26, and about 3 miles from the campus of USC. Other than that, I really don't know a lot about the area :/. That is what worries me!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,555,957 times
I looked up the address - that isn't a bad area, though I don't know a thing about the apartments. I know the neighborhood surrounding them is fine, though. I'm curious though, why not get something within walking distance of campus?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 AM

We have a 2 yr old so we would need at least a 2 bdrm and it seemed that most of the apts. near campus were out of our budget. We were able to get a 2 bdrm for under $700/m. My husband would have loved to have been within walking distance.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,661 times
After reading your post I took a ride through Rivergate today. I have to say it is a good looking complex, clean parking lot, balconies not junked up, not a lot of broken down looking cars, etc. As a matter of fact the parking lot was mostly empty which I would interpret as a good sign since it would indicate that the residents were at work. I rode around the area and did not see anything that would cause me concern.

Judging from outside first impressions I would not hesitate to move my family into the complex, especially if my only child was as young as yours and I knew it was only for a short time. Try to get a second story apartment as they are usually a bit more secure.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Thank you so much for driving thru and offering your opinion, LexingtonDad! I am getting a little more comfortable with the idea of moving into an apartment. After owning a home and having much more space, it is going to be a change but at least it will be less to clean!!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 AM

595 posts, read 1,621,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFiWife1 View Post
I am hoping someone here will be able to tell me that this was not the worst decision possible but from some of the reviews of the apts.
Don't worry. There are A LOT of WORSE apartments in Columbia that you could be living.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,774 times
I don't think you can always believe those online reviews that pop up for any apartment complex you put into Google. I spent a lot of time looking at apartments in Columbia a few years ago and Rivergate was high on my list. I wound up going with Riverview just down Bentley Drive which I guess can be described as slightly below Rivergate if you were to rate them. I never had a single problem at Riverview. Lots of young professionals and grad students living there. Rivergate has the gated entry which is always a nice amenity. I think I just liked the floorplan at Riverview better and it was slightly cheaper if I remember correctly. But I think Rivergate is a pretty popular complex for people wanting a decent place to live.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks innovator!!! That is great to know!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area