Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times

Advertisements

As most of us probably already know, the Innovista master plan involves the transformation of 500 acres in the city of Columbia and along the Congaree River.

The award was given to the university for its "Outstanding Planning Project in a multi-jurisdictional area."

“The new iconic Waterfront Park will symbolize the famously hot but definitely cool City of Columbia, where quality of life and quality of work are second to none.” - Don Herriott, director of Innovista Partnerships.

Source:

Innovista Master Plan 2010 receives planning award by South Carolina Chapter of the American Planning Association | Swamp Fox

University of South Carolina - News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Nikki Haley said, "With all due respect, what a mess," when agreeing to USC's getting $13 million more for Innovista this year. According to the article about the funding, 14 Innovista-related firms employ about 1,000 people in Columbia. The university didn't have jobs numbers for 15 more Innovista-related firms. Not counting those 15 firms, that's 1,000 jobs compared to about 700 jobs that CU-ICAR has helped create. I think both schools have done okay so far in their high-tech missions and related jobs figures. Why has USC received so much flack over their progress? Now that everyone knows Innovista is more of a concept within an existing university campus than it is a new district within that campus, maybe such criticism will subside.

Innovista gets final $13 million - Education - TheState.com

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.co...-cu-icar?rss=0

Side note: Overall, both schools contribute in big ways to the state's economy: $4.1 billion and $1.83 billion, so people in general need to watch it with the criticism.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Not counting those 15 firms, that's 1,000 jobs compared to about 700 jobs that CU-ICAR has helped create.
I don't know all of the specifics, but the wording is very interesting if you read closely. 1,000 people work at Innovista-related companies. CU-ICAR has created 700 jobs. Like I said, I don't know for sure, but these two numbers COULD be measuring different things.

But, you're right: both schools have a great impact on the state.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I don't know all of the specifics, but the wording is very interesting if you read closely. 1,000 people work at Innovista-related companies. CU-ICAR has created 700 jobs. Like I said, I don't know for sure, but these two numbers COULD be measuring different things.

I hope to see both projects do well. These schools could leverage each others strengths and do even more for the state. With all of these projects, liberal definitions are used to measure the impact. I am not sure ICAR's numbers don't include jobs already present in the upstate before they moved to the ICAR campus. Could be wrong but, there are some ICAR tenants who have been in the upstate for years.

However, Nikki is not going to do any favors for Carolina. She should be promoting all state projects to generate jobs instead of using tea bag language to appease her base.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post

The Clemson article says ICAR helped create 700 jobs. If a job is Innovista-related, it's reasonable to figure the job exists because of Innovista or Innovista's influence.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
One has to understand how Ms Tea Bagger Haley's administration counts jobs'

Let us block Amazon which would bring in 1,500 new jobs because WalMart does not want them and WalMart says it will hire 2,500 new people.

Ms Tea Bagger Haley never caught on that the 2,500 WalMart new hires were to replace 2,450 that quit or got fired plus at much lower wages (translates to taxable income) then the Amazon people earn.

Ms Tea Baggger Haley needs some Economics 101 courses at the Darla Moore School of Business.....as they know each other....stay tuned for the rest of that story.....wonder if they would let her in tuition free.....LOL

Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 AM

I just read in the hard copy of Columbia Regional Business Journal at Richland Library that the penny sales tax puts Innovista on the fast track. There is "intense interest" in several parcels in the area of Colonial Life Arena. USC has an aggressive plan to build new dorms and an administrative office building in the parking lots adjacent to CLA.

Also, the company that wants to build 840 private dorms in several multi-story buildings is getting a rehearing after the architectural board denied their request because of public outcry over the proposed demolition of the Palmetto Compress building. This would be in addition to the 600 private dorms the Ben Arnold Company is going to build in a seven-story building at Huger and Blossom.

Sasaki, the urban planning company that first unveiled the Innovista masterplan in 2006 before the "big crash" is back on the scene, excited that the penny sales tax will allow the city and county to extend Williams Street from Blossom to Gervais and link Green Street from USC to the river with a new bridge over the railroad tracks. The centerpiece of the penny sales tax's pedestrian greenway development will be the Congaree Regional Waterfront Park between Gervais and Blossom, which will include all the amenities you would expect in a world-class park, including man-made ponds created from the tributaries that flow into the Congaree River in that area.

I also read in the hard copy of CRBJ that in February the Urban Land Institute will hold a three-day conference in Columbia to present to city and community leaders a plan to link the city's urban districts, leaving the city with knowledge on how to move from planning to implementation on getting it done with the penny sales tax. The players they listed in the article get things done.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM

A Greenville company believes in Innovista. Between the district's impending private student apartments and astute business people, the sky's the limit.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC

Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM

Ben Arnold's proposed 600-student dorm got preliminary approval. It fits the spirit of the Innovista district, said a DDRC board member. A Manhattan firm is doing the project.

600-bed student housing project gets initial approval | Business | The State

Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM

This would be added to Innovista if approved. It certainly fits IMO.

http://www.columbia.sc.gov/cocextran...-701_Other.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area