Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times

Advertisements

While I think USC has some sort of Ice Hockey team, it certainly is not a major spectator sport at USC, so competition with a pro team would seem to be minimal. The largest metro in the state should be able to support an Ice Hockey team like the Inferno.
The original question remains....after three years of non play, does the Inferno really still exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,352 times
The reason they were unable to get back into the Coliseum or allowed access to the Colonial Center is that the University of South Carolina wants nothing to do with any sporting event that would detract attention from them. That is why we lost the Capitol City Bombers and why the Carolina Panthers played in Clemson instead of Columbia. For some reason the brain-trust of USC athletics does not seem to realize the revenue the school could earn by working with these franchise teams.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab80 View Post
The reason they were unable to get back into the Coliseum or allowed access to the Colonial Center is that the University of South Carolina wants nothing to do with any sporting event that would detract attention from them. That is why we lost the Capitol City Bombers and why the Carolina Panthers played in Clemson instead of Columbia. For some reason the brain-trust of USC athletics does not seem to realize the revenue the school could earn by working with these franchise teams.
The Inferno used the Coliseum for free - all USC got was revenue from concessions. Why should it be up to the University to subsidize for-profit businesses?

Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Wac

I say USC does not want any other game(s) in town except theirs. I say USC goes behind the scenes to stop other sport teams.

Were I in USC's shoes, I would do the same thing. It is Economics 101.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab80 View Post
Carolina's athletic department has revenues in excess of $80m annually, and this figure is likely to go up a lot with the new SEC contract. Any revenue generated by renting Carolina facilities to a minor league team is not going to make a lot for Carolina. Besides, it's not worth the scheduling hassle to fit a minor league team into a university building. As WAC said, it is not Carolina's goal to assist a minor league team financially. I think minor league baseball would work, minor league hockey has struggled in other SC cities.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Not for nothing:

The Greenville Road Warriors are a professional minor league ice hockey team located in Greenville, South Carolina. The team is a member of the ECHL and play their home games at the BI-LO Center in downtown Greenville.The franchise had previously played as the Johnstown Chiefs from the ECHL's inception in 1988 until the team's relocation in 2010. The Road Warriors are the second ECHL franchise to play in Greenville, as the city hosted the Greenville Grrrowl from 1998 until 2006. The team is affiliated with the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League and the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League.

The South Carolina Stingrays are a professional minor league ice hockey team located in Charleston, South Carolina. The Stingrays play in the South Division of the ECHL’s Eastern Conference. They play their home games at the North Charleston Coliseum. Established in 1993, the team has been owned by a conglomerate of local business owners since 1995. The team was affiliated with the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League and the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League starting in 2004 and ending in July 2012 when the Capitals announced their affiliation with the ECHL's Reading Royals. On July 25, 2012, the Stingrays announced an affiliation deal with the NHL's Boston Bruins and their AHL affiliate Providence Bruins.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Wac

I say USC does not want any other game(s) in town except theirs. I say USC goes behind the scenes to stop other sport teams.

I agree - I just don't understand why so many people are incredulous about that fact. Why would USC go out of their way to encourage competition?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 AM

611 posts, read 920,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Wac

I agree with your reasoning with one exception. I don't think USC goes out of their way to stop other minor league teams, I think its more along the lines of USC does nothing to assist a minor league team. These minor league teams come into town looking for a handout, and everyone immediately says, "Oh, USC should share their facilities with them!". You're absolutely right in that USC has nothing to gain from another team in town, but more importantly, they have nothing to gain from sharing their own facilities. They don't need the small revenue another team would provide and it isn't worth the hassle with scheduling. I think it's less that they are actively going behind the scenes to stop them, and more that they just flat out refuse to even consider assisting, and that's an important distinction.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The Inferno used the Coliseum for free - all USC got was revenue from concessions. Why should it be up to the University to subsidize for-profit businesses?
I'd be interested for you to source this as that's the complete opposite of what I've heard from friends who worked for the team's front office. According to them, the breakdown was that the Inferno paid rent to the University and USC took all concessions and parking revenues and a portion of the ticket revenues. The team kept all revenues from corporate signage. The only real subsidy they got from the University was that the University covered the water bill.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM

611 posts, read 920,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I'd be interested for you to source this as that's the complete opposite of what I've heard from friends who worked for the team's front office. According to them, the breakdown was that the Inferno paid rent to the University and USC took all concessions and parking revenues and a portion of the ticket revenues. The team kept all revenues from corporate signage. The only real subsidy they got from the University was that the University covered the water bill.

Reuse USC’s Coliseum? Or tear it down? - Local / Metro - TheState.com

Quote:
The coliseum generates about $200,000 in annual revenue, Kenyon said.

That’s up from about $50,000 a year during the time when the Inferno was a tenant. The hockey team tied up dates and, under their agreement with the school, were not paying rent, Kenyon said.
USC may have received parking and concession revenue, but obviously it wasn't much. It makes more money now without the Inferno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area