Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:18 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times

Advertisements

while i enjoy minor league hockey i think it's a tough sell when it's in a market that has other college or pro sports to compete for $$ with. Back home in Madison they tried it some years ago, and the scheduling worked as at the time they (and the UW Badgers) played hockey in a County colisseum and not the newer Kohl Center. But while the minor team drew decent fans (they were tied to Milwaukee's IHL team and had some ex Badgers on the roster) it just wasnt the same as the strong following the college team had and has. So they moved on, and really except for the very successful summer baseball league up there nothing else "minor" has really done well. It's a college town, and that's the big/only local draw. So while Cola is larger then Madison it does have some similarities, and maybe that's one of them....

Guess if someone needs a hockey fix, a drive to Greenville isnt a big deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:28 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
while i enjoy minor league hockey i think it's a tough sell when it's in a market that has other college or pro sports to compete for $$ with. Back home in Madison they tried it some years ago, and the scheduling worked as at the time they (and the UW Badgers) played hockey in a County colisseum and not the newer Kohl Center. But while the minor team drew decent fans (they were tied to Milwaukee's IHL team and had some ex Badgers on the roster) it just wasnt the same as the strong following the college team had and has. So they moved on, and really except for the very successful summer baseball league up there nothing else "minor" has really done well. It's a college town, and that's the big/only local draw. So while Cola is larger then Madison it does have some similarities, and maybe that's one of them....

Ranger

I agree with what you say but there is quite a bit of difference depending on the actual sport and ones location in SC.

No major college in the south participates in ice hockey so there has been "room" for minor league ice hockey in many southern city locations. I would not expect the same in Madison, WI yet the Boston area can support several ice hockey levels......but another subject.

There are minor league baseball teams in Greenville and Charleston as neither area has a major university baseball program as does USC.

My comment has been that USC does not want confusion, season overlaps, etc. from any other sport. They want the focus on USC sports. Where I in their shoes, I would do the same but I also say that USC is not as altruistic as many think/say they are including themselves.

As an example. I think more people in Charleston SC are talking about how the Charleston River Dogs will finish out their season then are talking about Citadel football. In Columbia there is no confusion and were I in charge at USC, that is the way I would want it and keep it.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Charlotte is closer--unless you live in Irmo.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
guess i was just thinking of my travel time from Chapin area as we do may quick runs to Greenville but sure depending on location Charlotte would make more sense for others

Old 08-17-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Ranger

I agree with what you say but there is quite a bit of difference depending on the actual sport and ones location in SC.

No major college in the south participates in ice hockey so there has been "room" for minor league ice hockey in many southern city locations. I would not expect the same in Madison, WI yet the Boston area can support several ice hockey levels......but another subject.

There are minor league baseball teams in Greenville and Charleston as neither area has a major university baseball program as does USC.

My comment has been that USC does not want confusion, season overlaps, etc. from any other sport. They want the focus on USC sports. Where I in their shoes, I would do the same but I also say that USC is not as altruistic as many think/say they are including themselves.

As an example. I think more people in Charleston SC are talking about how the Charleston River Dogs will finish out their season then are talking about Citadel football. In Columbia there is no confusion and were I in charge at USC, that is the way I would want it and keep it.
points taken. My question, and i ask as i dont know enough of the history here on it-- was the hockey team that was here playing in a USC controlled arena or a "publicly" owned one? If at one that the college owned or controlled i could see why there was little to no interest in supporting an outside player. But if it was in a public location, then the college really has no say one way or the other--it's all on the fan base and community to support it. And if that's not strong enough then the market just isnt there.
After all, seems minor league baseball has had success over the years here and USC baseball (at least in recent years) has been at the top of the class. So there are enough baseball fans in this area to cover 2 programs at different levels

Old 08-17-2012, 04:32 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Charlotte's franchise is a AAA franchise so, the game is better. But, I am not sure hockey is the way to go for Columbia. I think baseball would be a better fit. I don't know how the other SC hockey franchises are doing, seems like there are stories about the teams struggling. Maybe Gman can give an update about Greenville. But, in any case, baseball would be a better fit in heir own stadium. And, I do think for a minor league team, not using Carolina Stadium would be better for the team and Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area