Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times

Advertisements

It isn't the University's job or desire to support a professional team - I'm not sure why people find that so hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It isn't the University's job or desire to support a professional team - I'm not sure why people find that so hard to believe.
It shouldn't be their job to be against one wanting to locate in the metro area either.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yep remember them.. and have another USC gem... who could forget the Carolina Panthers inaugural season was to be played at Williams Brice.. Mikee said "oh hell no" and it went to Clemson.. .The Panthers have not been in Columbia since. Seems like atleast a pre-season game would come south of the boarder every now and then for them to retain the name "Carolina" otherwise they should just become the Charlotte Panthers. I dont want to start an anti USC session here but they have not always done things to benefit the community in which they operate. Certainly its understood that they are an University and the school should be priority one.. but some of these decisions dont appear that they would have hurt the school... so why not cooperate and "play ball". If they are thinking that a minor league anything would hurt their athletic programs that seems it would be absurd. USC has no hockey team.. so that should be off the table.. in terms of baseball... yeah maybe.. but many people in Columbia love baseball but wouldnt want to watch a college team play where they didnt attend school...the exception being the USC college world series run or SEC championship bid where everyone became a USC fan. Outside of those types of runs..many people would probably not set foot in these venues...but would support a Columbia team whatever it may be.
Does USC have an Ice Hockey team that would compete for dollars and patrons with the Inferno? If not, why the failure of the Inferno? Football and baseball, I can understand the competition for fan dollars, but Ice Hockey?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Does USC have an Ice Hockey team that would compete for dollars and patrons with the Inferno? If not, why the failure of the Inferno? Football and baseball, I can understand the competition for fan dollars, but Ice Hockey?
I can understand their thinking and it is their job to make the most money they can. You do that by eliminating the competition. Most people have a limited entertainment budget. USC is hoping to get all of it but they lost some $$$ each year to inferno that could have been filling up their new arena. Same thing in when the Mets competed with their spring sports.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

The only thing I can think of is what others have said here in terms of competition for entertainment venues and if the Inferno was asking for say multi million dollar improvements to the Coliseum and USC was not interested in paying for the upgrades. I am not sure what the old Coliseum is being used for now.

I can agree that its not the University's role or responsibility to assist with redevelopment efforts or even with professional sports. The benefit however is that it improves the overall community where the U is located...which ultimately benefits the U in the long run. I guess I get irritated sometimes when I read about USC making demands on the City and it appears that they expect the City should pull a NIKE and Just Do It and not ask any questions or get anything in return.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is what others have said here in terms of competition for entertainment venues and if the Inferno was asking for say multi million dollar improvements to the Coliseum and USC was not interested in paying for the upgrades. I am not sure what the old Coliseum is being used for now.

I can agree that its not the University's role or responsibility to assist with redevelopment efforts or even with professional sports. The benefit however is that it improves the overall community where the U is located...which ultimately benefits the U in the long run. I guess I get irritated sometimes when I read about USC making demands on the City and it appears that they expect the City should pull a NIKE and Just Do It and not ask any questions or get anything in return.

Well said.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,561 times
As right now, I have seen no construction being done at the proposed location. Also they would still be the "Columbia" Inferno, seeing as how the area is still Columbia (just not Downtown). The new location is only 10-12 miles away from the Carolina Coliseum.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:

There is still classroom space in the Coliseum and it has been used as a practice venue for some artists.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:47 AM

So the Inferno has not played for 3 years. Are they are actually an ongoing concern? Do they really exist? Their website has not be updated in months.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
some of this sounds familiar to what we saw back in WI ( Madison ), another very strong college market though smaller metro population. There are no pro teams there, closest would be in Milwaukee or Green Bay. The tries at minor league sports have been spotty with only a few having success. Back around 15 yrs ago there was a minor league hockey team, tied to the Milwaukee Admirals, that actually drew pretty well ( and note that UW hockey in Madison is huge ) and had a couple ex Badgers on the roster. But after a couple seasons they had a better "offer" from another location ( Iowa I beleive ) and moved on. But they could play at same time the Badgers did; those who supported the UW ( and had tix ) went there, and others watched the minor team.
As for baseball, that's been a different run. UW dropped that sport years ago so no direct competition; and there were several "single A" teams that would stay for a couple years and move on. But even though a few name players would pass thru due to rehab stints the draw was never real consistant. There finally was a team from the Northwest summer league ( college kids ) locate there and it has done extremely well. I'd say it's from a combination of strong marketing and "events" to good family pricing, etc.

Moral of the story-- college and minor/pro can co-exist, but it depends heavily on how the team is marketed, how they bring in families, and what they do in the community. And it depends on the community to support them as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area