U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM

2,118 posts, read 2,239,671 times
Default Restaurant Suggestions Needed Near Kroger Center

Will be coming in to town next month and need some ideas on where to take my daughter for for an earlybirthday dinner before a show in the area of the Kroger Center. I'm not familiar with that area but would like to stay around there if it's a nice area, and there are some available places to go.

Looking for something very casual and not expensive, but not cheap either, or fast food. Would have to be open on a Wednesday, mid to late afternoon. Does anyone have any ideas of some good places around that area? Maybe some place with Continental Cuisine? I'm thinking she may want to go for something like steak.

Someone told me about a place around there, but heck if I can remember it. Hoping someone will mention it, I'd recognize it then.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 AM

2,282 posts, read 2,374,444 times
I'm going to assume you mean the Koger Center near the University.

My "go to" reliable place is Harpers in Five Points HARPER'S RESTAURANTS Casual, large selection, basic American food: salads, burgers, steaks etc.. Can't tell you how many times we've been there and never had a bad meal or service.

I'd also highly recommend Blue Marlin in the Vista. We had a celebration dinner there that was outstanding. It's not extremely casual but it's not dressy and formal either, especially in the afternoon. Welcome to the Blue Marlin Restaurant in Columbia, South Carolina The food and service were excellent.

Have fun.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM

6,670 posts, read 4,784,811 times
For a casual and inexpensive restaurant in the Vista it's hard to beat Longhorn's for value. For local fair you could try Nonnah's. They serve more than dessert. There are also several wings restaurants in the area.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I'm going to assume you mean the Koger Center near the University.
Is there more than one Kroger Center?? The location is 1051 Greene Street.

Harpers looks like it may be a good place to go, but have to look at the other options given and then let her make the decision. I appreciate the info from both of you and for anyone else who chimes in.

Thanks again!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,807,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Will be coming in to town next month and need some ideas on where to take my daughter for for an earlybirthday dinner before a show in the area of the Kroger Center. I'm not familiar with that area but would like to stay around there if it's a nice area, and there are some available places to go.

Looking for something very casual and not expensive, but not cheap either, or fast food. Would have to be open on a Wednesday, mid to late afternoon. Does anyone have any ideas of some good places around that area? Maybe some place with Continental Cuisine? I'm thinking she may want to go for something like steak.

Someone told me about a place around there, but heck if I can remember it. Hoping someone will mention it, I'd recognize it then.

Thanks in advance for any help!
The other poster was correct, it is the Koger Center for the Arts. Mid to late afternoon is tough because some restaurants close for an hour or 2 between lunch and dinner. For a casual steak place, Longhorns in the Vista (Gervais St) is an option and about 6 blocks from the Koger Center. There is also Tin Roof on Senate Street, which is even closer to the Koger Center. Up the hill from the Koger Center on Main at Devine is Al Amir - a very good Syrian Restaurant.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 PM

2,282 posts, read 2,374,444 times
Koger is the event center, not Kroger. Kroger (with a R) is a grocery store and I just wanted to be sure you weren't talking about one of their shopping centers. I wasn't trying to be smart-mouth, just checking about which one.

Have fun.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 AM

828 posts, read 912,970 times
Take a look at the menus for Liberty Taproom and California Dreaming. I recently discovered how good of a steak California Dreaming has and my wife loves the salads. Often when I have a business lunch we head to CD because the menu is small but varied and everyone can find something they like. And (this will probably start something) there is plenty of parking.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the correction, it is the Koger. Not being from the area, I've heard of Krogers, I was a little confused

Thanks for all the suggestions, will take a look at them all, I'm sure one of the suggested places will be good, as long as it's open at the time needed.

Appreciate all the info and help. Looking forward to seeing a little of Columbia other than driving through or making a pit stop at the Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area