Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:03 PM

425 posts, read 631,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not at ALL dude; you really don't have a clue. Even on the Augusta board, Columbia's downtown often comes up in comparison in terms of how Augusta can improve on its downtown. They finally have a convention center downtown, but Columbia has had one for years now. James Brown Arena can't compare to Colonial Life Arena. Augusta's downtown doesn't have a park like Finlay. Now their downtown is better than most give it credit for, even Augustans themselves, but it's not as vibrant and active as Columbia's, especially if you include Five Points; it's much more of a slam dunk then.

You can walk from downtown Augusta to the Riverwalk. As I said, that's an advantage they have. Columbia "lacks a feature park"? You never heard of Finlay? It is Augusta's downtown that lacks a signature urban park. It has the Common, but that's just open green space.
do people in Columbia actually go to Finley? I don't ever remember even seeing 1 person out there, It basically looks like a field kind of far removed from the main part of downtown. looks like a good dog park though.

I don't care about convention centers really. I think in terms of parks when I think downtown areas, and augusa has the better downtown park and nightlife. Does Columbia even have a the Thursday or Friday downtown party like Augusta? I'd say Augusta much more vibrant but that is just one man's opinion. I like Columbia ok but to me it is just a restaurant area that is little more interesting than going to eat off two notch or harbision. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
do people in Columbia actually go to Finley? I don't ever remember even seeing 1 person out there, It basically looks like a field kind of far removed from the main part of downtown. looks like a good dog park though.

I don't care about convention centers really. I think in terms of parks when I think downtown areas, and augusa has the better downtown park and nightlife. Does Columbia even have a the Thursday or Friday downtown party like Augusta? I'd say Augusta much more vibrant but that is just one man's opinion. I like Columbia ok but to me it is just a restaurant area that is little more interesting than going to eat off two notch or harbision. LOL
I'm starting to question whether you're on the wrong Columbia forum. Are you sure you're not talking about Columbia, MO?

I always see people out and about in Finlay when I'm in Columbia, particularly during the spring and summer. Your characterization of it as a dead park is horrendously wrong.

Understand that Augusta's riverwalk is one thing, and it's nice; but it's not a signature urban park like Finlay, Falls Park, Waterfront Park in downtown Charleston, Forsyth Park in downtown Savannah, Centennial Olympic Park in downtown Atlanta, etc. It has the Common which, as I stated, is just open green space:

Like I said, you can even go in the Augusta forum and Augustans themselves will tell you that Columbia's downtown is more vibrant.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to question whether you're on the wrong Columbia forum. Are you sure you're not talking about Columbia, MO?

I always see people out and about in Finlay when I'm in Columbia, particularly during the spring and summer. Your characterization of it as a dead park is horrendously wrong.

Understand that Augusta's riverwalk is one thing, and it's nice; but it's not a signature urban park like Finlay, Falls Park, Waterfront Park in downtown Charleston, Forsyth Park in downtown Savannah, Centennial Olympic Park in downtown Atlanta, etc. It has the Common which, as I stated, is just open green space:

Like I said, you can even go in the Augusta forum and Augustans themselves will tell you that Columbia's downtown is more vibrant.
lol, i'd rather go to riverfront park in Augusta than that one. there's nothing there but some grass and not any shade. to say it is a signature park is insane. I'd rather go to the Horseshoe than this one. you can't even buy an ice cream cone there, how is that a signature park? LOL

Falls Park is signature, how can you compare this one to that. Baker Parker in Frederick MD is extremely nice. big swan park in downtown Huntsville is pretty sweet too.

augustans don't know what they are talking about, I seend more people downtown augusta at night than I ever seen in Columbia downtown outside of st. Patrick's day in 5 points

Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
lol, i'd rather go to riverfront park in Augusta than that one. there's nothing there but some grass and not any shade. to say it is a signature park is insane. I'd rather go to the Horseshoe than this one. you can't even buy an ice cream cone there, how is that a signature park? LOL

Falls Park is signature, how can you compare this one to that. Baker Parker in Frederick MD is extremely nice. big swan park in downtown Huntsville is pretty sweet too.

augustans don't know what they are talking about, I seend more people downtown augusta at night than I ever seen in Columbia downtown outside of st. Patrick's day in 5 points
This is the Augusta Common, which as I said is just open space. They have lots of festivals and special events and such there, but it's 100% passive greenspace. I never said this was a signature park, but I said this is the closest Augusta has to a classic urban park.

This is Finlay Park: Flickr Search: Finlay Park

So you say you haven't been to downtown Augusta in 10 years, but somehow Augustans themselves are delusional when they say that Columbia's downtown is more active than their own? OK, you're borderline trolling now and it's pretty hard to take you seriously. Have a good one.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
This is the Augusta Common, which as I said is just open space. They have lots of festivals and special events and such there, but it's 100% passive greenspace. I never said this was a signature park, but I said this is the closest Augusta has to a classic urban park.

This is Finlay Park: Flickr Search: Finlay Park

So you say you haven't been to downtown Augusta in 10 years, but somehow Augustans themselves are delusional when they say that Columbia's downtown is more active than their own? OK, you're borderline trolling now and it's pretty hard to take you seriously. Have a good one.
how have I been trolling, I been to both and I think augusta is much more active down near the river than anywhere in Columbia. Columbia may have more people over all but it is divided up b/t the vista and 5 pointsand this finlay park isn't connected with rest of the town. just kind of off by itself.

It does look like a nicer park than I realized, I think I might have gone there when I was a kid but from those pictures I thought that was actually at riverbank zoo. the park itself is fine but I never heard anybody I know in Columbia including my two brothers, and myt wo parents from here, ever talk about that park. I think people in augusta alk about the riverfront, and god knows people in Columbia never shut up about falls park. LOL

Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
how have I been trolling, I been to both and I think augusta is much more active down near the river than anywhere in Columbia. Columbia may have more people over all but it is divided up b/t the vista and 5 pointsand this finlay park isn't connected with rest of the town. just kind of off by itself.
I'd say Augusta's riverfront is probably more active than Columbia's which is more recreational in nature, but overall Columbia's downtown is more active. It has more venues, restaurants, and retail which attract people.

Quote:
It does look like a nicer park than I realized, I think I might have gone there when I was a kid but from those pictures I thought that was actually at riverbank zoo. the park itself is fine but I never heard anybody I know in Columbia including my two brothers, and myt wo parents from here, ever talk about that park. I think people in augusta alk about the riverfront, and god knows people in Columbia never shut up about falls park. LOL
That shouldn't be surprising since you said your brother doesn't even like to go to downtown. That's part of the problem in Columbia, particularly the 'burbs: people's perception of downtown isn't based in reality, at least 100%. Or they think that a downtown area should function like a suburban area, where you can just park in front of your destination instead of walking a few blocks or (gasp!) using a parking garage. And while there's an issue with the homeless in Columbia, it is VASTLY overblown; they see a few and think the city is overtaken with them.

Oh, and to your earlier point about a First Thursday/Friday event in downtown Columbia: First Thursdays on Main | Columbia, SC

This should also give you an idea of the happenings in downtown that occur on a regular basis: What's Happening Downtown in June

Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I'd say Augusta's riverfront is probably more active than Columbia's which is more recreational in nature, but overall Columbia's downtown is more active. It has more venues, restaurants, and retail which attract people.

That shouldn't be surprising since you said your brother doesn't even like to go to downtown. That's part of the problem in Columbia, particularly the 'burbs: people's perception of downtown isn't based in reality, at least 100%. Or they think that a downtown area should function like a suburban area, where you can just park in front of your destination instead of walking a few blocks or (gasp!) using a parking garage. And while there's an issue with the homeless in Columbia, it is VASTLY overblown; they see a few and think the city is overtaken with them.

Oh, and to your earlier point about a First Thursday/Friday event in downtown Columbia: First Thursdays on Main | Columbia, SC

This should also give you an idea of the happenings in downtown that occur on a regular basis: What's Happening Downtown in June
I think augusta has a more happening downtown for whatever reason in terms of the active park. Columbia may have more restaurants overall but that isn't what i'm talking about. I worked at SRS and lived in Aiken and people were always talking about Augusta's downtown alive thing. I don't think anybody is talking about first Thursdays on main at corporations in Irmo and N.E. Columbia.
I think Columbia would be pretty dead without the university and 5 points might not even exist.

I have two brothers who live here, one likes to go to the Vista but all he does is park nearby and eat. It's really no different than going to eat on Harbison or off two notch except the restaurants are in some old warehouse looking buildings. My bro works at a company on greystone and his boss hates going to eat downtown and actually prefers to eat out on Harbison. LOL

I think vista is fine but it is silly to overhype it, it just a little different look for same type of restaurants you find in suburbia.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I think augusta has a more happening downtown for whatever reason in terms of the active park. Columbia may have more restaurants overall but that isn't what i'm talking about. I worked at SRS and lived in Aiken and people were always talking about Augusta's downtown alive thing. I don't think anybody is talking about first Thursdays on main at corporations in Irmo and N.E. Columbia.
I think Columbia would be pretty dead without the university and 5 points might not even exist.
So you think Augusta's downtown is more active because of one monthly event and Columbia's is at a disadvantage because it has more restaurants, retail, venues, etc.? That's the weirdest thing I ever heard.

Quote:
I have two brothers who live here, one likes to go to the Vista but all he does is park nearby and eat. It's really no different than going to eat on Harbison or off two notch except the restaurants are in some old warehouse looking buildings. My bro works at a company on greystone and his boss hates going to eat downtown and actually prefers to eat out on Harbison. LOL

I think vista is fine but it is silly to overhype it, it just a little different look for same type of restaurants you find in suburbia.
What you're describing re your brothers is typical for suburbanites in any city. Heck, I hear folks in the Charlotte area who say as much.

And who's "overhyping" the Vista?

At any rate, I think we've digressed enough. We should get back to discussion the latest news on the Bull Street campus.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
So you think Augusta's downtown is more active because of one monthly event and Columbia's is at a disadvantage because it has more restaurants, retail, venues, etc.? That's the weirdest thing I ever heard.

What you're describing re your brothers is typical for suburbanites in any city. Heck, I hear folks in the Charlotte area who say as much.

And who's "overhyping" the Vista?

At any rate, I think we've digressed enough. We should get back to discussion the latest news on the Bull Street campus.
doesn't seem to be much interest in bull street campus on here, or downtown Columbia at all. Nothing like the Greenville one, that is for sure. Columbia is probably lot more frustrating if you are an urbanist type who really cares about downtown.

I think downtown Augusta is just a little cooler, it is more quaint. maybe it it is just b/c it is a small town. I never thought that I would be lobbying for Augusta's downtown on here though, LOL

I like the vista all right but just a more interesting take on the same kind of restaurants you could find in Irmo. If we want to go to Longhorn steakhouse for example, we prefer to go to the one downtown than on Decker Blvd. LOL really outside of Longhorn's and Carolina ale house or whatever it is, we never go down there. i'm over b/t forest acres and Shandon and we got all we need over this way. Harper's is only place we go in 5 points too. I'm not a big drinker so I rarely go to bars.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
doesn't seem to be much interest in bull street campus on here, or downtown Columbia at all. Nothing like the Greenville one, that is for sure. Columbia is probably lot more frustrating if you are an urbanist type who really cares about downtown.
There's much interest in these subjects when there's something to discuss. The fact is that it's been a while since there's been any news regarding the Bull Street campus; on the other hand, there are currently more developments underway in downtown Greenville which goes a long way towards explaining why there's more discussion over there. Even still, that's the topic of the thread and we should try to remain on topic.

Quote:
I think downtown Augusta is just a little cooler, it is more quaint. maybe it it is just b/c it is a small town. I never thought that I would be lobbying for Augusta's downtown on here though, LOL
It's not bad, but I don't see how it's relevant to the Bull Street campus or any of its proposed features. Again, we've digressed enough.

Quote:
I like the vista all right but just a more interesting take on the same kind of restaurants you could find in Irmo. If we want to go to Longhorn steakhouse for example, we prefer to go to the one downtown than on Decker Blvd. LOL really outside of Longhorn's and Carolina ale house or whatever it is, we never go down there. i'm over b/t forest acres and Shandon and we got all we need over this way. Harper's is only place we go in 5 points too. I'm not a big drinker so I rarely go to bars.
There are some chains in the Vista for sure, but also a lot of local restaurants that are popular (here's a full listing). But people with overly-suburban mindsets will stick with the known, national brands 90%+ of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area