Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 AM

12,879 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
To me it makes sense for any minor league team to share a facility with the Gamecocks in Columbia. The stadium just going to sit empty most of the time. People on here proposing Columbia should have two often empty stadiums rather than 1. LOL Sharing a stadium just cuts costs for the university and for the Minor league team and seems like the Gamecocks stadium near the river is a much nicer location fro scenary standpoint than Bull Street.
I like the idea of Carolina Stadium being reserved for the Garnet & Black. I think any stadium at the historic State Hospital grounds will probably be designed to look historic itself. And it would be used for lots of things year-round if other cities' uses for similar stadiums are any indication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:57 AM

258 posts, read 467,914 times
Here's the latest from the Columbia Regional Business Report.

https://www.columbiabusinessreport.c...ment-agreement

Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM

425 posts, read 631,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I like the idea of Carolina Stadium being reserved for the Garnet & Black. I think any stadium at the historic State Hospital grounds will probably be designed to look historic itself. And it would be used for lots of things year-round if other cities' uses for similar stadiums are any indication.
well, I think you got to look at things from cost vs. benefits standpoint.

I am assuming that part of USC's tuition goes to fund their very good athletic program and one easy way to cut costs down for facilities is to share the facility with other teams in town. I don't think colleges do a good job at cutting costs and they really are money funneling rackets much worse than Big Oil and other industries that are demonized by some in this country.

I also don't think there is a real big demand for minor league baseball in Columbia especially when you already have a large university with a very good baseball program in town. You had the team move away to Greenville. I just can't see people really being that wild about a stadium on bull street even if it is nice. that also seems pretty far from the two hotspots of the vista and 5 points from a walking standpoint. the one in Greenville is close to the west end. realy people in Columbia cud just go to the one in Greenville on weekends.

my brother lives in Blythewood and he hates downtown Columbia. he never goes for any reason. I like it pretty good but some things just won't work there.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:

I am assuming that part of USC's tuition goes to fund their very good athletic program and one easy way to cut costs down for facilities is to share the facility with other teams in town. I don't think colleges do a good job at cutting costs and they really are money funneling rackets much worse than Big Oil and other industries that are demonized by some in this country.

I also don't think there is a real big demand for minor league baseball in Columbia especially when you already have a large university with a very good baseball program in town. You had the team move away to Greenville. I just can't see people really being that wild about a stadium on bull street even if it is nice. that also seems pretty far from the two hotspots of the vista and 5 points from a walking standpoint. the one in Greenville is close to the west end. realy people in Columbia cud just go to the one in Greenville on weekends.

my brother lives in Blythewood and he hates downtown Columbia. he never goes for any reason. I like it pretty good but some things just won't work there.
There are people in the suburbs of every city that don't go downtown and don't like downtown. Conversely, I don't think I've ever had any reason to go to Blythewood, of all places. Different strokes.

Sharing a stadium seems like a pretty good idea on paper, but it would probably be a tremendous hassle. The minor league team wouldn't feel any ownership, and it'd be hard to generate excitement that would draw crowds. There are nice minor league teams in lots of similarly sized cities that are doing well. Why not Columbia?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
There are people in the suburbs of every city that don't go downtown and don't like downtown. Conversely, I don't think I've ever had any reason to go to Blythewood, of all places. Different strokes.

Sharing a stadium seems like a pretty good idea on paper, but it would probably be a tremendous hassle. The minor league team wouldn't feel any ownership, and it'd be hard to generate excitement that would draw crowds. There are nice minor league teams in lots of similarly sized cities that are doing well. Why not Columbia?
most towns don't have a huge university in downtown with a very good baseball program. that's why not Columbia. My bro loves downtown Greenville, not a big fan of Columbia. I think many people like that. I think many people in Columbia view downtown as really just for the USC students.

I thought the minor league team already shared the facility with USC? isn't that a better location than bull street? near the river? I never been down there but from a nature standpoint that seems a beter location.

the problem Columbia has is it didn't develop close to the river, I guess they wanted to be up on the hill but the city isn't taking advantage of what makes Columbia unique from a natural standpoint. That's why a lot of people would prefer Augusta over Columbia b/c it takes advantage of its river with a riverfront park.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
^Columbia has riverfront parks on both banks of the Congaree so I don't think that point is valid. I think a minor league team should have a separate stadium as USC should not have to subsidize a home for a minor league team. As far as money is concerned, the Athletics Department donates money to the general University fund and not the other way around.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM

12,879 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
most towns don't have a huge university in downtown with a very good baseball program. that's why not Columbia. My bro loves downtown Greenville, not a big fan of Columbia. I think many people like that. I think many people in Columbia view downtown as really just for the USC students.

I thought the minor league team already shared the facility with USC? isn't that a better location than bull street? near the river? I never been down there but from a nature standpoint that seems a beter location.

the problem Columbia has is it didn't develop close to the river, I guess they wanted to be up on the hill but the city isn't taking advantage of what makes Columbia unique from a natural standpoint. That's why a lot of people would prefer Augusta over Columbia b/c it takes advantage of its river with a riverfront park.
The penny sales tax is supposed to fund development of the biggest part of the city's riverfront between Gervais Street and Blossom Street. People have been walking, jogging, biking and skateboarding at Riverfront Park and the canal greenway for years. Development is happening. Just the architecture of downtown Columbia alone is reason enough to get out of Blythewood more. It's all about mentality, and some of that 'us versus them' mentality is still around in Columbia. That's changing fast, but some still haven't spit out the anti-city/anti Columbia kool-aid.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The penny sales tax is supposed to fund development of the biggest part of the city's riverfront between Gervais Street and Blossom Street. People have been walking, jogging, biking and skateboarding at Riverfront Park and the canal greenway for years. Development is happening. Just the architecture of downtown Columbia alone is reason enough to get out of Blythewood more. It's all about mentality, and some of that 'us versus them' mentality is still around in Columbia. That's changing fast, but some still haven't spit out the anti-city/anti Columbia kool-aid.
i'm aware of the park in Columbia at the river but do you think that compares to Augusta's riverfront area? they really should build a lifestyle center right there on the river.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:36 PM

233 posts, read 282,036 times
Quote:

Tuition at Carolina does not fund the athletic department in any way. It is just the opposite, the athletic department passes money over to the school. Carolina has an athletic department budget of around $85m, all of which is paid for by SEC revenue, Ticket Revenue and local TV/Broadcast Rights. In a couple of years, the athletic department revenue will exceed $100m.

From a Carolina perspective, I don't want a minor league team to share our stadium. I like having the facility specific to Carolina.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
Tuition at Carolina does not fund the athletic department in any way. It is just the opposite, the athletic department passes money over to the school. Carolina has an athletic department budget of around $85m, all of which is paid for by SEC revenue, Ticket Revenue and local TV/Broadcast Rights. In a couple of years, the athletic department revenue will exceed $100m.

From a Carolina perspective, I don't want a minor league team to share our stadium. I like having the facility specific to Carolina.
So you rather the facility just sit dormant when another team could use it? Seems silly to me. minor league baseball is going to be risky long term in Columbia as it is everywhere else so building a new stadium on BUll Street seems foolish , especially given it has to compete with USC baseball program for spectators. I doubt most people are going to come out for both.

it is also silly to think no porition of student's tuition is going to fund USC mega athletics budget. they spend a lot on sports programs and facility upgrades, especially since Spurrier's arrival. it's not all coming from ticket sales and tv rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area