Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

The key word in the phrase "homeless people" is "people". They're people just like everyone else. I get so sick and tired of acting like homeless people are pariahs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 PM

425 posts, read 631,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The key word in the phrase "homeless people" is "people". They're people just like everyone else. I get so sick and tired of acting like homeless people are pariahs.
I never said they are pariahs but they could be dangerous. The police had two cops cars blocking off the car tonight and were arresting somebody. He didn't really look homeless but probaby real low income.

I never seen a park with that many reviews dedicated to there being so many homeless people at the park. That is really all I learned about the park in the reviews. You don't ever see homeless peopel in Falls Park or Mainstreet of Greenville. Same thing with the tourist part of downtown Chucktown.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTiger45 View Post
I never said they are pariahs but they could be dangerous. The police had two cops cars blocking off the car tonight and were arresting somebody. He didn't really look homeless but probaby real low income.

I never seen a park with that many reviews dedicated to there being so many homeless people at the park. That is really all I learned about the park in the reviews. You don't ever see homeless peopel in Falls Park or Mainstreet of Greenville. Same thing with the tourist part of downtown Chucktown.
Columbia needs to grow up. Homeless people are fact of life in any city of any significance. Where else are they going to go to try to get out of their situation? The woods? When I was in my early 20's living in DC, there were places downtown where you had to literally navigate around homeless people sitting on the sidewalk or step over them. I just took it as part of living in the excitement of a big city. They never bothered me except for occasionally asking for change. Same in Columbia.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Columbia needs to grow up. Homeless people are fact of life in any city of any significance. Where else are they going to go to try to get out of their situation? The woods? When I was in my early 20's living in DC, there were places downtown where you had to literally navigate around homeless people sitting on the sidewalk or step over them. I just took it as part of living in the excitement of a big city. They never bothered me except for occasionally asking for change. Same in Columbia.
I am all about the homeless people using this park b/c let's face it, few other people are on a daily basis. But that doesn't mean I and other people necessarily want to hang out there. You know people with kids aren't going to want to take their kids out there with lot of homeless people around. It is just a rather be safe than sorry mentality.

Is it a regular occurence for cops to be blocking off the entrace to the park with two cop cars and arresting people there?

I actually forgot the public library isn't far away from this park so it makes sense the homeless wonder over to the park, it is kind of their backyard so to speak.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I am all about the homeless people using this park b/c let's face it, few other people are on a daily basis. But that doesn't mean I and other people necessarily want to hang out there. You know people with kids aren't going to want to take their kids out there with lot of homeless people around. It is just a rather be safe than sorry mentality.

Is it a regular occurence for cops to be blocking off the entrace to the park with two cop cars and arresting people there?

I actually forgot the public library isn't far away from this park so it makes sense the homeless wonder over to the park, it is kind of their backyard so to speak.
No, it's not a regular occurrence there anymore than anywhere else. I've never run into that problem (not even a problem to me - just cops doing their job and hopefully not harassing anyone) there. Every time I go to Finlay Park it's with my dog, and no one bothers us. He's a sweet small dog, so it's not because they're scared of him. I notice homeless and homed people alike. There are always children playing on the playground equipment with adults sitting on benches in that area. People are always sitting in the swings overlooking the park near the big fountain, some homeless, some not, usually couples. The City just reported on an assessment of the Parks and Recreation system from an outside party, and they said Finlay is due for more money from the budget for maintenance and upgrades. While I don't recall specific awards, the park won its share when it was first constructed. All parks show age over time and it's time to pump some money into it to draw enough people that they far outnumber people who apparently scare them away because of their unfortunate status in life (shame). The giant fire hydrant is supposed to soon be installed at the southwest corner of the park as part of a splash pad park with benches, circular walkways surrounding the hydrant, and shade trees.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM

Mr. Hughes has a headstart in making the development "world class" (his words) with buildings like the one in the photo with this article. The best thing about the whole project is that it will be just another part of the grid, not separated from the rest of it.

COLUMBIA, SC: Economic study predicts Bull Street billions | Business | The State

Old 06-27-2013, 03:16 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I am all about the homeless people using this park b/c let's face it, few other people are on a daily basis.
You've never actually been inside the park so how would you even know that?

Quote:
But that doesn't mean I and other people necessarily want to hang out there. You know people with kids aren't going to want to take their kids out there with lot of homeless people around. It is just a rather be safe than sorry mentality.
Actually there are always parents with their kids in the playground section of the park.

The homeless folks tend to sit together in the area up near the fountain and, as I said, they really don't bother anyone.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 PM

Finlay Park last Saturday evening.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Finlay Park last Saturday evening.

it looks pretty fun on the weekends, i just think it is a little dead during the week. but you could say that about 90 percent of parks.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM

^Yes, since most of us have to work during the week - our parents don't support us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area