Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If you have interest you should probably just come visit for a couple days in person and check it out.
We are planning on doing that and I think that is a great idea. We are trying to narrow it down and get an idea which area maybe the most suitable. How many days do you think we'll need? I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We are planning on doing that and I think that is a great idea. We are trying to narrow it down and get an idea which area maybe the most suitable. How many days do you think we'll need? I appreciate your input.
Make it a 3 or 4 day weekend. Spend a day driving around Lexington and Columbia, spend a day on Lake Murray, and spend a day doing some tourist things like the zoo, the museum, congaree park, and whatever else people have to suggest on here. If you like you can swing down and do a Charleston day while you're at it.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Make it a 3 or 4 day weekend. Spend a day driving around Lexington and Columbia, spend a day on Lake Murray, and spend a day doing some tourist things like the zoo, the museum, congaree park, and whatever else people have to suggest on here. If you like you can swing down and do a Charleston day while you're at it.
exactly what Brandon said. Though our first trip here was a little longer as WI to SC was a major move for us, we not only toured areas to see neighborhoods and learn some backgrounds, we did the things that we'd do if we lived here. And i've suggested the same to anyone considering this spot; it really helps on the decision making

Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 7,060 times
Lexington is very spread out. You have to drive at least 10 minutes to go almost anywhere. Irmo is closer to more shopping and Downtown.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Yes Lexington feels more like a "town" while Irmo is more of a "suburb" or "bedroom community" than an actual town.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Thanks, I don't like driving that far to get to things. I'm glad you both clarified that b/c I thought Irmo was more spread out.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 AM

13 posts, read 19,624 times
I used to live in the Town of Lexington and I miss it very much. It is a wonderful area to live and I highly recommend it. It is pretty much central to everything in the area and the state. Most of Irmo is in Lexington County with a small portion in Richland County. Irmo itself is not a very large area, however it consists of a lot of businesses including Harbison Blvd which has the mall, movie theaters, wal-mart and many restaurants. Lexington has grown up a lot in the last few years and changed since I lived there and all for the good. Many businesses have actually moved into the Town and even if something you want to do is in Irmo it's a short 10 to 15 minute drive.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,483 times
how are the school districts in lexington and irmo. thanks

Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 AM

74 posts, read 224,573 times
Default Lexington vs. Irmo...

Lexington has more rural areas because it's an area that was largely rural not long ago but grew very fast. Most of the shopping and conveniences are up and down Highway 378 (Sunset Blvd., which becomes N. Lake, Columbia Ave and then W. Main/Highway 1!). I'm not a fan of the south of I-20 (Red Bank, etc.) but there are really nice subdivisions with new affordable houses in many other areas, like off of Pilgrim Church Rd, Old Chapin Rd and Old Cherokee Rd.. Lexington doesn't really have a "downtown" like the kind that people are used to, but it does feel more like a town and community than Irmo does, IMO. There's one nice park in Lexington, Virginia Hilton Park, but that's about it.

I think Irmo has more amenities and shopping but the traffic situation is also worse. If you are commuting to Columbia, for example, I-26 can be pretty awful during the morning and late afternoon. Also, Harbison Blvd, near the shopping centers, can get really congested during certain times. If I were house hunting in that area I would be looking over in the areas off Bush River Rd., like Coldstream, Seven Oaks, or off N. Lake Dr. between Lake Murray Dr. and Irmo Dr.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,025 times
I'm a yoga teacher, a hiker and a tennis player. Looking for friendly people and artist communities. Please tell me about Lexington Virginia. Is it comfortable for Northerners in terms of acceptance, politics? We are thinking about moving, but know so little about the area.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area