Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times

Advertisements

That's an interesting location choice, but it will add to the synergy in the Vista area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
That makes no sense to me. This is a prime spot for another restaurant. I feel this is a missed opportunity.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times
I would rather see this built closer to campus, maybe at Greene and Assembly (bulldoze the nasty Wendy's).

Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,753 times
I also think this a strange place for this. If it wanted to be in this area, I would much prefer it be next to the College Street garage across from the Colonial Life Arena or at the corner of Park and Pendleton Streets by that garage.

On another note, I think they should not build a tunnel from the parking garage to the Alumni Center and then an underground tunnel from the Center to the Convention Center. That's the worst thought process behind creating pedestrian activity in the Vista.

"Let's make sure that the well-off alumni never have to step foot on the street and experience anything else in the city. You know there are so many dangers out there."

Please...

Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM

611 posts, read 920,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
I also think this a strange place for this. If it wanted to be in this area, I would much prefer it be next to the College Street garage across from the Colonial Life Arena or at the corner of Park and Pendleton Streets by that garage.

On another note, I think they should not build a tunnel from the parking garage to the Alumni Center and then an underground tunnel from the Center to the Convention Center. That's the worst thought process behind creating pedestrian activity in the Vista.

"Let's make sure that the well-off alumni never have to step foot on the street and experience anything else in the city. You know there are so many dangers out there."

Please...

Great point. Covering a walkway would be a much more cost-effective and attractive option. They could even continue the theme of the old train depot along lincoln street (like in front of Blue Marlin).

Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Great point. Covering a walkway would be a much more cost-effective and attractive option. They could even continue the theme of the old train depot along lincoln street (like in front of Blue Marlin).
I agree.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post

Please...
I agree - a tunnel or a pedestrian bridge is absurd.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Earlier this evening I emailed the following to the mayor and my city council reps:

People at Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed and city-data.com are expressing disappointment in the choice of location for the USC Alumni Center. It doesn't feel right to me either. I'm a USC alum, but sometimes I just want to be out in my city without feeling like everything is USC-related. This feels like too much encroachment. Also, based on the rendering I saw, they seem to think the Vista is going to be okay with the blond look that USC has fallen in love with. Finally, we need feet on the street, so they shouldn't get their underground tunnel if the site is approved.

The mayor emailed me back a thanks.

Last edited by Yac; 05-15-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Earlier this evening I emailed the following to the mayor and my city council reps:

People at Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed and city-data.com are expressing disappointment in the choice of location for the USC Alumni Center. It doesn't feel right to me either. I'm a USC alum, but sometimes I just want to be out in my city without feeling like everything is USC-related. This feels like too much encroachment. Also, based on the rendering I saw, they seem to think the Vista is going to be okay with the blond look that USC has fallen in love with. Finally, we need feet on the street, so they shouldn't get their underground tunnel if the site is approved.

Thanks for taking the initiative.

Last edited by Yac; 05-15-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post

I agree. Well said, well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area