U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,644 posts, read 14,169,891 times
Reputation: 1830

Advertisements

That's an interesting location choice, but it will add to the synergy in the Vista area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18443
That makes no sense to me. This is a prime spot for another restaurant. I feel this is a missed opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,901,669 times
Reputation: 750
I would rather see this built closer to campus, maybe at Greene and Assembly (bulldoze the nasty Wendy's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
 
928 posts, read 1,290,359 times
Reputation: 312
I also think this a strange place for this. If it wanted to be in this area, I would much prefer it be next to the College Street garage across from the Colonial Life Arena or at the corner of Park and Pendleton Streets by that garage.

On another note, I think they should not build a tunnel from the parking garage to the Alumni Center and then an underground tunnel from the Center to the Convention Center. That's the worst thought process behind creating pedestrian activity in the Vista.

"Let's make sure that the well-off alumni never have to step foot on the street and experience anything else in the city. You know there are so many dangers out there."

Please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 05:39 PM
 
580 posts, read 738,289 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
I also think this a strange place for this. If it wanted to be in this area, I would much prefer it be next to the College Street garage across from the Colonial Life Arena or at the corner of Park and Pendleton Streets by that garage.

On another note, I think they should not build a tunnel from the parking garage to the Alumni Center and then an underground tunnel from the Center to the Convention Center. That's the worst thought process behind creating pedestrian activity in the Vista.

"Let's make sure that the well-off alumni never have to step foot on the street and experience anything else in the city. You know there are so many dangers out there."

Please...

Great point. Covering a walkway would be a much more cost-effective and attractive option. They could even continue the theme of the old train depot along lincoln street (like in front of Blue Marlin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,632 posts, read 13,786,436 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Great point. Covering a walkway would be a much more cost-effective and attractive option. They could even continue the theme of the old train depot along lincoln street (like in front of Blue Marlin).
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
6,644 posts, read 14,169,891 times
Reputation: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
I also think this a strange place for this. If it wanted to be in this area, I would much prefer it be next to the College Street garage across from the Colonial Life Arena or at the corner of Park and Pendleton Streets by that garage.

On another note, I think they should not build a tunnel from the parking garage to the Alumni Center and then an underground tunnel from the Center to the Convention Center. That's the worst thought process behind creating pedestrian activity in the Vista.

"Let's make sure that the well-off alumni never have to step foot on the street and experience anything else in the city. You know there are so many dangers out there."

Please...
I agree - a tunnel or a pedestrian bridge is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
9,632 posts, read 13,786,436 times
Reputation: 2087
Earlier this evening I emailed the following to the mayor and my city council reps:

People at Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed and city-data.com are expressing disappointment in the choice of location for the USC Alumni Center. It doesn't feel right to me either. I'm a USC alum, but sometimes I just want to be out in my city without feeling like everything is USC-related. This feels like too much encroachment. Also, based on the rendering I saw, they seem to think the Vista is going to be okay with the blond look that USC has fallen in love with. Finally, we need feet on the street, so they shouldn't get their underground tunnel if the site is approved.

The mayor emailed me back a thanks.

Last edited by Yac; 05-15-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 PM
 
928 posts, read 1,290,359 times
Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Earlier this evening I emailed the following to the mayor and my city council reps:

People at Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed and city-data.com are expressing disappointment in the choice of location for the USC Alumni Center. It doesn't feel right to me either. I'm a USC alum, but sometimes I just want to be out in my city without feeling like everything is USC-related. This feels like too much encroachment. Also, based on the rendering I saw, they seem to think the Vista is going to be okay with the blond look that USC has fallen in love with. Finally, we need feet on the street, so they shouldn't get their underground tunnel if the site is approved.

The mayor emailed me back a thanks.
Thanks for taking the initiative.

Last edited by Yac; 05-15-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 10,732,445 times
Reputation: 3716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Earlier this evening I emailed the following to the mayor and my city council reps:

People at Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed and city-data.com are expressing disappointment in the choice of location for the USC Alumni Center. It doesn't feel right to me either. I'm a USC alum, but sometimes I just want to be out in my city without feeling like everything is USC-related. This feels like too much encroachment. Also, based on the rendering I saw, they seem to think the Vista is going to be okay with the blond look that USC has fallen in love with. Finally, we need feet on the street, so they shouldn't get their underground tunnel if the site is approved.

The mayor emailed me back a thanks.

I agree. Well said, well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top