Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 07:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times

Advertisements

With the Greene St. overhaul set to begin soon, I thought it would be a good time to repost the original Master Plan from 2007.

http://www.columbiasc.net/depts/plan...prod002421.pdf

Parts of the plan are starting to come together (Greene St. and the Blossom-to-Pendleton stretch of Assembly). The recession and initial failure of the penny transit tax delayed the start of these projects, but the City and University do seem to be following through on the Master Plan. If and when the Congaree River Parkway and the various "landings" on the river are completed, Columbia is going to be a tourist destination in its own right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:26 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
And when the tourists come back off the river they are going to have a huge checkerboard of a playground in the Vista, the central business district, Columbia Common, Five Points and Devine Street, plus whatever other areas have developed more by then.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:15 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
A report on the Vista's growth, by WLTX:

Vista: Hot Spot for New Businesses

Old 12-20-2014, 11:43 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Update

Proposed/planned:
Kline Property (4-6 stories)
Main Flatts (5 stories)
apartment building surrounding McD's in the Vista (4 stories)
Aloft Hotel at Lincoln & Lady St. (5 stories)start time expected late next spring early summer
Student housing at Gervais and Harden

Approved/close to construction:
phase 2&3 of USC's development around Blossom (6-7 stories)
Student Housing tower on Assembly (12-15 stories)
Parking Garage on Blossom (5 stories)
Finish Assembly Street Improvements
Huger Street Improvements
Greene Street Bridge over RR tracks/reno of Greene Street
William Street Continuation
Columbia Common (Nothing taller then steeple on Babcock building)
Coliseum Reno
Nursing Care Center, 2200 Harden St

Under Construction/Topped Out/Almost complete:
Agfisrt Reno
City Market redevelopment
Clarion Reno/constuction (6 stories)
620 Blossom(student housing) (4-5 stories)
710/724 Pulaski(student housing) (4-5 stories)
USC Alumni Center(3 stories)
Olympia Apartments (3-4 stories)
Keenan Building Reno
Sheraton Convention Center
Phase 1 of USC's development on Blossom(6-7 stories)
Addition on a restaurant on Lady Street
USC Law Center
Adluh Flour Reno
Hyatt hotel (6 stories)
USC indoor/outdoor practice field
Former USC indoor practice field Reno
500 Blossom(student housing) (4 stories)
520 Pendleton(student housing) (2-3 stories)
Palmetto Compress
Williams Brice Plaza

Recently Completed:
AllSouth HQ (3 stories)

Old 12-20-2014, 07:42 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Awesome, was awaiting the next update because it's always tough to remember all of these. By the way, I've been out of the loop lately, but I've driven past the Palmetto Compress building and see very little evidence of anything being done besides the Pulaski street project. I could be wrong..

Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
Ya that one will probably take another year before construction activity starts happening plans are very preliminary at this point

Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Awesome, was awaiting the next update because it's always tough to remember all of these. By the way, I've been out of the loop lately, but I've driven past the Palmetto Compress building and see very little evidence of anything being done besides the Pulaski street project. I could be wrong..

Rode by today and there's equipment on site and the properties been blocked off. It could also be them doing the sidewalks but that was a little too much equipment for just sidewalks. But I could be wrong.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 PM

True. Yeah, I was just wondering since the last time I drove by it was 3 or 4 days ago. It was insane the amount of construction I was seeing. I really can't wait to see that one apartment building at the corner of Blossom and Huger get underway. Seems like they've moved enough dirt around that they might actually start laying some of the foundation. IMO it's one of the prettier buildings out of the plethora of apartments going up in Columbia right now. Not to mention, the student tower on Assembly street will be nice looking as well.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:40 AM

Never mind Palmetto Compress property is being used for staging.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 PM

Bleh. Oh well. With all the construction going on in the vicinity of the area, that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area