Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 PM

746 posts, read 748,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayinJG View Post
I've noticed a fair amount of work finally taking place at the old fire station at Senate and Park this week. Glad that project doesn't seem to be stalling after all. It sure has been a long time coming.

According to an approved zoning request from earlier this year, the developer has already secured tenants for all of the first floor retail/restaurant space in the main building and have been considering a residential component somewhere on the property. It will be exciting to hear some announcements on which businesses will be locating there when the time comes.

Between the fire station and the University SC Towers going up behind the Music Farm, this area of the Vista is really taking shape!

Just to refresh your memory here are some renderings:

Fire Station in Downtown Columbia | Colliers International
Thanks for the update. What great news. Park Street is filling in quite well. When construction starts on The Edge next to the Library, the only real lots left will be First Citizens buildings/land they are trying to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 04:32 AM

1,154 posts, read 956,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Thanks for the update. What great news. Park Street is filling in quite well. When construction starts on The Edge next to the Library, the only real lots left will be First Citizens buildings/land they are trying to sell.
I wonder what ever happened to the proposed high rise living on the corner of Park and Lady. That would also be nice and fill in park Street. All they need to do now is to resurface lady and redo sidewalks

Old 06-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I wonder what ever happened to the proposed high rise living on the corner of Park and Lady. That would also be nice and fill in park Street. All they need to do now is to resurface lady and redo sidewalks
If I remember correctly, a developer was seeking a zoning exemption or clarification and the Vista Guild got all up in the air about it. I honestly think developers are waiting for a property tax rebate for market rate apartments, now that a judge ruled against Rusty DePass's complaint against student housing. I am not sure he there is an appeal, and I don't want to go through the docket to find out. There are so many stalled market rate projects that keep being deferred that the possible property tax rebate is the only explanation I can think of.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:57 AM

273 posts, read 246,377 times
I love the benefits of the student housing in our city. I honestly think that the next best step would be a tax incentive for either affordable or market rate housing

Old 06-03-2017, 09:50 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
I agree; helping to increase dense, downtown population is a huge win.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
I love the benefits of the student housing in our city. I honestly think that the next best step would be a tax incentive for either affordable or market rate housing
I am a big proponent of a tax break for market rate housing, with stipulations. If we can create an urban oasis, we will have a value proposition that many other cities do not have. Palms grow here (which northerners love), we are less than two hours to the beach and the mountains, and with an offering of a fairly large urban, walk able, livable area with access to entertainment, it is an unbeatable combo.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:30 AM

Wait. Everyone hold on! There's equipment on the Klein site!?! Holy ****!!!

Old 06-04-2017, 07:40 AM

1,154 posts, read 956,742 times
Quote:
Wait. Everyone hold on! There's equipment on the Klein site!?! Holy ****!!!
Did you see it yesterday or talking about an earlier post? Because the equipment i saw a week ago is gone now.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 AM

.... Oh

Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
.... Oh
It's really too bad when people who own land just sit on it and make plans, then get cold feet and who knows what... Im not sure if it has anything to do with parking ramps or the site next to it, but it really seems odd that the family would sit on that land for so long. At least sell it if you don't want to develop it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area