Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 08:06 AM

746 posts, read 748,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So apparently everyone thinks this is a done deal, no?
It's on the agenda for Zoning Appeals on the 12th of December-

http://www.columbiasc.gov/depts/plan...aft-agenda.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 12:17 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjligon View Post
to each his own...any fast food chain in that location is a huge disappointment, IMO...so much potential there as the centerpiece of 5 points wasted...doesn't surprise me one bit though.

Yeah.. not only is the location/structure better utilized to complement the street environment (i.e. Outdoor Seating) a drive thru is going to increase the chances of a pedestrian vehicle conflict given the large amount of foot traffic in that block.. Chick Fila and Cook Out are further from the heart of the pedestrian activity thus their drive thru are not as problematic...

Old 12-05-2017, 06:19 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
It's on the agenda for Zoning Appeals on the 12th of December-

http://www.columbiasc.gov/depts/plan...aft-agenda.pdf
That doesn't mean it's a done deal though. That's why it has to go through the rezoning process and all of that.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,669 times
Default Finally some stiff opposition to Zaxby’s in 5 points

Story in the State and Free Times that the 5 points Association
Will strongly oppose Zaxby’s request for a drive through window in that
It goes against the future five plan, makes 5 points more hwy stilly, traffic, pedestrian safety
and all the stuff I brought up in this forum. If some community voices join the chorus Tuesday it’ll likely result in at least a six month delay in which case to study traffic implications in which case Zaxby’s dudes who own 19 in state locations will likely find another location.

Zoning meeting us Tuesday dec 12

Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 AM

746 posts, read 748,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That doesn't mean it's a done deal though. That's why it has to go through the rezoning process and all of that.
Yeah, that was why I posted the agenda. There is tons of opposition to this, no way it is a done deal.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:54 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,837 times
Richland County property sale in downtown Columbia questioned | The State

I absolutely agree that Richland County is botching this land sale. No need for another student housing development for a long time, and if anything this developer may sit on the property for awhile til the market is right.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:16 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Agreed. They need to do more to keep all the students once they graduate.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:27 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,669 times
Today’s the day re the Zaxby’s 5 pts decision. The state ran a story mentioning that 30 years ago till about 1990 the building was a fast food place called delights with a drive thru window

However traffic now is more than double it was then so that precedent doesn’t make allowing the window assures also future five wasn’t drafted back then

Old 12-12-2017, 07:38 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Default Richland Renaissance

Here are some interesting ideas being considered by Richland County Government

Purchasing Columbia Place.. I think this could be a potential good thing to move County Offices into the old Sears and Belk Department Store.. I would leave Burlington and Macy's in place.. There is an idea that Richland County Government should create an business incubator at Dutch Square.. I would leave Dutch Square alone and create it in the retail section of the Columbia Place Mall.. Kill two birds with one stone.. incubator and new County Offices. Dutch Square I believe will redevelop on its own.. Columbia Place.. not so much.

They want to tear down the existing County Offices on Harden Street and make a new judicial center which would allow for the current center on Main Street to be redevelop.. which I think is a good thing..I would take it a step further and allow a private developer to develop a portion of this site next to the Student Housing complex on Gervais and Harden.. that could include office and ground floor retail to extend the Five Points district across Gervais and almost connect it with Benedict College and Allen University at Harden and Taylor Street. There would likely be plenty of lawyers that would lease office space there to be near the courts and also would support any new retail.. especially restaurants.

Just some thoughts...

https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...9fdc63c42.html

Old 12-12-2017, 12:12 PM

127 posts, read 138,947 times
The city has approved the opening of a Zaxby's in 5 points where Harper's was.

Please note, this will be the 2nd time a drive-thru restaurant will have been located on this site. I don't see the big deal, but as expected, Shandon and other nearby neighborhood residents are planning to fight and appeal the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area