Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Chipotle (sp) got approved for Gervais and Wayne Street where the motorcycle store was? The little gas station on Gervais is gone and they are renovating the former motorcycle store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Does anyone know if Chipotle (sp) got approved for Gervais and Wayne Street where the motorcycle store was? The little gas station on Gervais is gone and they are renovating the former motorcycle store.

Yes, it did.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
Default cool/ re approved Chipotle

Are they going to knock down the former gas station building (for more parking) or just use the old Capital city bikes building?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM

They've already knocked down the gas station and carried it off somewhere. I don't know if that will be parking, but if it is, the plans that I thought didn't get approved showed heavy tree-scaping around the parking lot.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
I was in The Vista today before and after Carolina's BB game and noticed a few things. First, most of the restaurants seemed packed for lunch and dinner. Motor Supply's crowd was up 80% over a normal day. The crowd at World of Beer was overflowing the patio areas onto the sidewalks. Liberty Tap, Mellow Mushroom, Blue Marlin etc.....all looked to be very crowded as were the sidewalks. Overall, this is a great urban district. my only complaint is that the cross walks should be better marked. Columbia is lucky to have this district in addition to Main St, 5 Points and The Innovista area.

I know that there are only a couple of research building so far but, from the CLA, the Innnovista buildings, the new School of Business, the Koger Center and the existing buildings all provide a good depth of buildings from the high rises around The Main St area. With the new student housing and classroom buildings planned behind the Coliseum, the depth/density should increase as Columbia moves towards the river.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM

Just figured out why The World of Beer was so busy, The annual World of Beer festival was at the convention center. That would explain the all day blocks long line to get into the center. Ironic to see this after a beer shop owner in Greenville said that noone in Columbia would appreciate beer and/or craft beer..........chalk one up for stupidity.

Just to add a little more perspective to my earlier post, this area has a great feeling when walking around. There are many nice shops with a variety of merchandise, the small shop owners seen to care for their shops and the entire area from Assembly to the river. There is also depth to the area. Grevais, Lady and some other streets have a good nice density. Existing buildings are being adapted for reuse and there is a nice mix of old and new. With the university's move towards the river, more growth in this area is inevitable. Seems like the trend is for the highrise buildings to remain on Main (due to a variety of reasons) while the Vista/Innovista area continues to grow with low rise (5-8) story buildings. Hope to see more research companies in the area and maybe Aflac will anchor a new 12-15 story building on Main since class A space is becominig scarce, who knows.

Last edited by GSP101; 01-19-2013 at 09:14 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 PM

258 posts, read 467,914 times
Default Charlton hall building....

....I've heard the old Charlton hall building will be leased by a national retailer that should be a game changer for the vista/Columbia. Should be announced pretty soon.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland803 View Post
....I've heard the old Charlton hall building will be leased by a national retailer that should be a game changer for the vista/Columbia. Should be announced pretty soon.
Could that be where Urban Outfitters is opening? I've noticed the building is being renovated and that the workers seem to have stepped it up in the last week. The Free Times recently mentioned the building's redevelopment on a list of things we should see in 2013, and in an article a few weeks back they mentioned that Urban Outfitters was rumored to be planning a store in the Vista.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Could that be where Urban Outfitters is opening? I've noticed the building is being renovated and that the workers seem to have stepped it up in the last week. The Free Times recently mentioned the building's redevelopment on a list of things we should see in 2013, and in an article a few weeks back they mentioned that Urban Outfitters was rumored to be planning a store in the Vista.
Where is this building? I have heard about some coming announcements as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Where is this building? I have heard about some coming announcements as well.
It's next to Longhorn with parking between the two. You'll soon look down that alley straight at the new USC Alumni House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area