U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:10 PM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times

Advertisements

What is the difference? Which is better? What can you tell me about both places? Crowd? Vibe? Nightlife? Restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,394,101 times
The way I understand it is the Vista is newer and more upbeat for over 21. Lots of apartments and new development. Five points is a college hang out, bars , restaurants, apartments nearby.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM

6,524 posts, read 13,694,034 times
Five Points clubs mostly cater to college age to mid 20's and the Vista caters to late 20's on up. The restaurants are not that specific, though, as there are good restaurants and dives in both areas. Five Points is definitely a later crowd for the most part.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times
Glad you all cleared that up. I guess the Vista is we we'd belong. That's the one with the riverwalk, right? Does anyone have any pics? I looked for pics online and they are very limited.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 PM

937 posts, read 938,286 times
@gsupstate I keep hearing people from Columbia tout both Five Points and The Vista as "high profile"....."the" areas.....areas with growing retail.

Well they're embellishing. Though however in the event of a general or regional economic boom both areas would benefit more than any other non-residential part of town.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 PM

9,474 posts, read 13,161,108 times
Maybe the problem is that somewhere along the line Greenville and Charleston area residents got a chip on their shoulder against Columbia or their behinds on their shoulders in regard to Columbia and started refusing to visit, shop, eat or do anything else here (the same type of hatred for the Midlands that prompted Ben Pitchfork Tillman to get Clemson College off the ground at the expense of USC), and that Columbians don't hate anywhere in South Carolina, and visit, shop, eat and do other things in both Greenville and Charleston, and the national retailers realize this.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 PM

191 posts, read 408,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCola View Post
The Vista is a decent place to go out for eats and drinks, but I still don't really see a retail calling. Shops open and close without much notice. The truth is, at least for the time being, when the general public goes out shopping it's off to the 'burbs.
This is very true and totally backwards from a lot of cities. I'm 30, not married, no kids, although live my GF of wich we will eventually get married. We moved here last year. We live in town. We were very surprised to find what you have mention above. IN the places we lived in previously, everyone comes into the city for amenities. Here? Everyone leaves the city. I noever seen anything like it. I've spent more time in the burbs (and in my car) in the last 6 months then i have in the 6 years.

Until people my age actually stay in the city, i don't see this changing. Add that to the fact people get married and have kids much sooner around here it all makes perfect sense really...

Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 AM

9,474 posts, read 13,161,108 times
I think a lot city-dwelling young people with children ready to start first grade in the next few years will realize when they start talking with their peers that there's no longer any need to move to Gilbert to school their youngins.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM

191 posts, read 408,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
What I dont understand is why the Vista has not emerge more as a second "high profile" shopping area?
You read my post right? Until the post-college, pre-baby crowd sticks around, it's just not going to happen. Of course, that demographic is small around here.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:44 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,798,545 times
There has been some modest success though with "in town" retail from national chains. Look at the Target in the old Woodhill Mall on Garners Ferry Road. Granted its not "downtown" but it is within a five to ten minute drive from many intown neighborhoods and you dont have to jump on an interstate highway and slog all the way up there.There are a variety of national chains surrounding it in the Plaza. The Old Kroger also on Ft. Jackson Blvd and Devine would be an excellent site to build a nice "upscale center" that had a nice urban design for a variety of small retail stores. A mini Sandhills model.The surrounding neighborhood is ideal and it may be more suitable for some of these stores as opposed to the Five Points area where parking and other things may discourage patronage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area