U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:43 PM

9,634 posts, read 13,790,958 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you have to fall down and skin your face to realize you were walking with a weak step. The mayors and other leaders of the Midlands region have waked up and smelled the coffee. They seem to have even drunk some.

They don't seem to be dropping the regional cooperation ball as they continue to meet. They are serious about moving forward in a strong, methodical way to grow the region as one.

Columbia rose from the ashes of 1865 to become the most populous city in the state, and it will recover from Southwest's snub. Thank goodness this has happened now while Columbia is still on par with the state's other largest cities.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,938,075 times
It's too bad that it took such a monumental blow to CAE to get the region's leaders to wake up. I think Southwest's decision to exclude Columbia is going to hurt CAE for the next 10 years at least, if not longer. But thankfully, Columbia residents can drive 1.5 hours in several different directions and be to airports with plentiful, direct flights at good prices.

Plus, Columbia has other good things going for it - things not found in other parts of the state. Hopefully the region's leaders can emphasize that.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM

6,645 posts, read 14,172,897 times
I'm glad Southwest said that - it certainly could be a swift kick. On the other hand, Columbia has fantastic rail lines and I could see us becoming a high-speed rail hub. Now that, I would like.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
It's too bad that it took such a monumental blow to CAE to get the region's leaders to wake up. I think Southwest's decision to exclude Columbia is going to hurt CAE for the next 10 years at least, if not longer. But thankfully, Columbia residents can drive 1.5 hours in several different directions and be to airports with plentiful, direct flights at good prices.

Plus, Columbia has other good things going for it - things not found in other parts of the state. Hopefully the region's leaders can emphasize that.
Sometimes it takes a wakeup call to get motivated, that is great for Columbia, it is needed. But, I don't think this will hurt Columbia for 10 years if at all...Charlotte has done fine without SWA, Altanta has not missed a beat and Raleigh was growing long before SWA stopped there. On the other side, SWA has not helped Birmingham, Jacksonville or Jackson grow any faster.

Although trendy, it is just an airline. Southwest provides the same basic service as Delta, US Air, American, Jet Blue etc... In fact, they are looking more like a legacy carrier each day, especially with the pending merger. Instead of the direct flights which are preferred by business travelers, SWA will only offer a limited number of direct flights from GSP & CHS as they would have from CAE. That is not a huge selling point to relocating businesses. An educated workforce has much more weight than an airline.

But, you are right, Columbia residents have a number of flight options if they do not want to fly out of CAE. In an hour, they can be at Charlotte which provides over 650 daily flights serving over 130 different cities. And, for the most part, they are cheaper than flying SWA out of GSP.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:02 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,225,155 times
Glad to see the Midlands leaders realizing their past failures. Like watching a baby take its first steps. The Columbia region should come out stronger from these type of statements. So glad to see the area finally listening. Listening is a huge step, now we need to see them take action.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,396,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
You'll be moving down here before you know it once the region explodes from the aggressive and cooperative new approach. Then you can adopt a new hobby of bashing some other city.
I bet he won't. The area he is in is already in position to explode.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
I wish I had a dollar for each time I heard this phrase growing up in the upstate.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:37 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,225,155 times
Quote:
There really isn't any need for an explosion.....IMO, quality of life in GV is already close to perfect. I've lived in much larger cities but never been as happy.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,396,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I wish I had a dollar for each time I heard this phrase growing up in the upstate.
And you will hear it many more times, because it is true. Sorry you didn't like it and left, but more like it than not.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
And you will hear it many more times, because it is true. Sorry you didn't like it and left, but more like it than not.
Not that I did not like it, I would have preferred to stay closer to family. But, there just weren't that many job opportunities. As is well, I like Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or