Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's just Costco...big deal.
This.

My daughter and I walked through the one in Greenville since we had a pass (has nothing to do with Greenville vs Columbia; that just happened to be the location of my visit) and we left without purchasing a single item. I didn't really see much of anything that offered more of a discount than any given Walmart.

There are already 2 Sam's Clubs in Cola; What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:07 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Costco is nicer and cleaner. Also pulls a higher end clientele.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Nothing against Sarasota, FL, but it's significantly smaller than Columbia and has fallen on hard times with its housing market and unemployment. It was in the news the other day as one of the most affected by the recession. So there again, what would it be about Columbia that would make Costco not come here when it's going to Sarasota? Has anyone called them yet instead of just arguing in the never-ending Greenville is better than Columbia p**s**ng contest?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Nothing against Sarasota, FL, but it's significantly smaller than Columbia and has fallen on hard times with its housing market and unemployment. It was in the news the other day as one of the most affected by the recession. So there again, what would it be about Columbia that would make Costco not come here when it's going to Sarasota? Has anyone called them yet instead of just arguing in the never-ending Greenville is better than Columbia p**s**ng contest?
It's not just that way with Costco but also with other retailers and restaurants. Why there's an Apple Store in Augusta but not Columbia when Columbia is larger and home to a major university is something I don't even understand.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM

91 posts, read 243,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's not just that way with Costco but also with other retailers and restaurants. Why there's an Apple Store in Augusta but not Columbia when Columbia is larger and home to a major university is something I don't even understand.
It boils down to simple economics. Because most retailers and restaurants prefer locations close to interstates Columbia is some what of a of a strip mall mecca though Columbia maybe larger than most cities including Augusta there is only so much wealth to go around with to much competition not the Walmart effect. Within a 50 to 80 mile radius of downtown Columbia you have the following enclosed shopping malls and a regional shopping center which would indicate how diluted/spread thin the Columbia area purchasing power has become.
Columbia Place, Columbiana Centre, Dutch Square Center, Midtown at Forest Acres, Village at Sandhill, Sumter Mall, Greenwood Mall, Prince of Orange Mall, and Aiken Mall. this also includes Rockhill Galleria, Augusta Mall, Magnolia Mall/Florence and possibly Westgate Mall in Spartanburg.
Though the Columbia Metro MSA has around 750,000 and Augusta some what less around 540,000 don't quote me on either, lets start subtracting and you would why retailers pass The Metro over.
Saluda County - 20,000 it's closer to Greenwood for potential shoppers. just as close to Augusta as Columbia.
Calhoun County -15,000 just as close to Orangeburg and Sumter for potential shoppers.
Kershaw County -52,000 Camden has its own shopping destinations, and is just as close to Sumter and maybe more easier to get to Florence and not have to deal with Columbia area and the traffic.(malfunction junction). thats a potential -80,000 for the Columbia MSA bring it down to around 670,000 now divide this by the number of shopping districts in and around Lexington and Richland counties Two Notch area, Harbison Blvd area, Garners Ferry Rd area, Forrest Dr and a host of others.
Fairfield County is just as accessible to Lancaster and Newberry counties from its northern and western borders as its southern borders are to Richland.
that would leave the potential shopping populations of Augusta and Columbia not to mention many other cities smaller than Cola very similar especially since Lexington County's shoppers operate somewhat independently from Richland and portions of that county are closer to destinations in Newberry and Orangeburg counties not to mention Aiken.
It boils down to Augusta being more Centralized than Columbia most of its more higher end shopping centers the ones open and currently under construction are all located within a 5 mile radius of each other along interstate 20/520 allowing all of the retailers/restaurants to feed of each other thus becoming more of a regional shopping destination more so than Cola.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
This might explain why the Augusta mall has Apple

Columbiana Centre
Trade area 330k

Augusta mall
Trade area 516k

Old 03-07-2011, 12:56 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Stats View Post
It boils down to simple economics. Because most retailers and restaurants prefer locations close to interstates Columbia is some what of a of a strip mall mecca though Columbia maybe larger than most cities including Augusta there is only so much wealth to go around with to much competition not the Walmart effect. Within a 50 to 80 mile radius of downtown Columbia you have the following enclosed shopping malls and a regional shopping center which would indicate how diluted/spread thin the Columbia area purchasing power has become.
Columbia Place, Columbiana Centre, Dutch Square Center, Midtown at Forest Acres, Village at Sandhill, Sumter Mall, Greenwood Mall, Prince of Orange Mall, and Aiken Mall. this also includes Rockhill Galleria, Augusta Mall, Magnolia Mall/Florence and possibly Westgate Mall in Spartanburg.
Though the Columbia Metro MSA has around 750,000 and Augusta some what less around 540,000 don't quote me on either, lets start subtracting and you would why retailers pass The Metro over.
Saluda County - 20,000 it's closer to Greenwood for potential shoppers. just as close to Augusta as Columbia.
Calhoun County -15,000 just as close to Orangeburg and Sumter for potential shoppers.
Kershaw County -52,000 Camden has its own shopping destinations, and is just as close to Sumter and maybe more easier to get to Florence and not have to deal with Columbia area and the traffic.(malfunction junction). thats a potential -80,000 for the Columbia MSA bring it down to around 670,000 now divide this by the number of shopping districts in and around Lexington and Richland counties Two Notch area, Harbison Blvd area, Garners Ferry Rd area, Forrest Dr and a host of others.
Fairfield County is just as accessible to Lancaster and Newberry counties from its northern and western borders as its southern borders are to Richland.
that would leave the potential shopping populations of Augusta and Columbia not to mention many other cities smaller than Cola very similar especially since Lexington County's shoppers operate somewhat independently from Richland and portions of that county are closer to destinations in Newberry and Orangeburg counties not to mention Aiken.
It boils down to Augusta being more Centralized than Columbia most of its more higher end shopping centers the ones open and currently under construction are all located within a 5 mile radius of each other along interstate 20/520 allowing all of the retailers/restaurants to feed of each other thus becoming more of a regional shopping destination more so than Cola.

Wow.. never looked at it like that.. but it appears to make alot of sense though... I guess my only question would be.. stores like Apple appear to be unique if not even a novelty..so people may drive from all over to go there if there is only one in town... wouldnt they?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM

91 posts, read 243,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wow.. never looked at it like that.. but it appears to make alot of sense though... I guess my only question would be.. stores like Apple appear to be unique if not even a novelty..so people may drive from all over to go there if there is only one in town... wouldnt they?
Apple stores are unique but not for products you can get most if not all Apple products at Best Buy or online their unique quality is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenwryter View Post
The big deal about an Apple store isn't sales
But an Apple store has all kinds of classes (advanced class in things you never knew you could do with your iPhone, for example) and you can call (or drop in to see) the knowledgeable staff any time with questions about why your Mac laptop isn't working the way it should be or how to do something that you think your iPad ought to do, but you haven't been able to figure out the way.
this quote from another thread sums up Apple stores.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM

8 posts, read 25,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1983 View Post
Today I overheard someone talking about a Costco warehouse construction site somewhere either in north Columbia or a little north of Columbia. However, I missed the street names. Anyone else know of this construction site?

Thanks
Across the street from the new Wal-Mart at I77 and Killian rd.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,906 times
Mind sharing how you came about that knowledge?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 11,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
This.

My daughter and I walked through the one in Greenville since we had a pass (has nothing to do with Greenville vs Columbia; that just happened to be the location of my visit) and we left without purchasing a single item. I didn't really see much of anything that offered more of a discount than any given Walmart.

There are already 2 Sam's Clubs in Cola; What's the difference?
Quality, Cleanliness and Customer Service without question!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area