Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 PM

5,479 posts, read 8,278,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Do you want to define your own MSA? Why stop with Cherokee County, move on up I85 and claim Mecklenburg as part of Greenville too. And while you are at it, stake a claim on Atlanta. While multi city metros are hard to define, when you are claiming a 100 mile I85 territory of low density counties as a metro, it is a stretch. It is also a stretch to claim Greenville is growing faster than anyone in SC when you see the statistics. York county alone is almost doubling the growth of Greenville. Now, if you have Enron accountants, then I guess you can make the numbers say anything you want.
York County is a long way from Greenville county's population count. So is Richland. I guess as long as the quality of life continues to improve up here we're doing our part, it doesn't matter. Break it up however you want, so you can feel better. I can't tell Cola is larger. We'll keep doing our thing and improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,256,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I recently had a conversation with a fellow heavy into the Columbia area Food and Beverage (F&B). Heavy as into many places, big bucks ownership (not just a cafe owner, server, etc.) for over 25 years. He does know his stuff and is well known in the business. No names mentioned, to protect the innocent/guilty.....LOL

He predicts that the "Cowboy" Steak House will be closed within one year. He actually likes the concept and has been to a few (one of them within the last 30 days), but he claims Columbia area people will not spend that type money for other then a special occasion, boys night out, expense account, etc. thus once the "newness" wears off, it will be sold and/or closed.
Right now I agree completely with him (and I bet I know who you're talking about). But if the owners have deep enough pockets and are able to draw the suburbanites away from the burbs, if the food is of high enough quality on a regular basis, if the city is able to keep the main street area "feeling" safe every single day and night, if the economy continues to improve, if, if, if,....I think you get my drift.

All that said I truly hope they make it. If this one succeeds then other entrepreneurs will take notice. Maybe we can have a "grown up vista" part of the city for us old farts.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,825,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I recently had a conversation with a fellow heavy into the Columbia area Food and Beverage (F&B). Heavy as into many places, big bucks ownership (not just a cafe owner, server, etc.) for over 25 years. He does know his stuff and is well known in the business. No names mentioned, to protect the innocent/guilty.....LOL

He predicts that the "Cowboy" Steak House will be closed within one year. He actually likes the concept and has been to a few (one of them within the last 30 days), but he claims Columbia area people will not spend that type money for other then a special occasion, boys night out, expense account, etc. thus once the "newness" wears off, it will be sold and/or closed.
I'm not shocked. From what I've seen (and eaten) as regards the Columbia food scene, it is very average, at best. Not exactly a foodie scene happening there. Throw in the fact this place will be on Main Street, which even with the couple of new developments, is still pretty desolate at night, and you have the recipe for a place not lasting very long. Why did the last reataurant in this space close, anyone know?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,594,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
York County is a long way from Greenville county's population count. So is Richland. I guess as long as the quality of life continues to improve up here we're doing our part, it doesn't matter. Break it up however you want, so you can feel better. I can't tell Cola is larger. We'll keep doing our thing and improving.
There are a coule of differences between York and Greenville:

1. York is growing twice the rate
2. People love living in Fort Mill, great quality of life with access to true big city amenities....great shopping, true professional sports, almost unlimited air travel access, multiple arts venues......you get the point
3. Part of a major national metro.

So, yes, I do fell better and judging by the number of people moving to York, they feel better as well.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'm not shocked. From what I've seen (and eaten) as regards the Columbia food scene, it is very average, at best. Not exactly a foodie scene happening there. Throw in the fact this place will be on Main Street, which even with the couple of new developments, is still pretty desolate at night, and you have the recipe for a place not lasting very long. Why did the last reataurant in this space close, anyone know?
Based on some of your definitions of a "foodie" city, I would disagree with the average at best statement. One only has to read a couple of your less than factually correct posts to understand that you have an agenda against Columbia. Sadly, it is the same story from you, noting new.

Main is coming along. While it is not there, it is certainly moving in the right direction. The three new towers in the past 7 years are great additions, one with stunning architecture. Mixing these new towers in with the historical structures give the street a great presence. Perhaps the next step is to get enough tax credits for a new project so that we can give retail space away.

Based on the numbers, if this restaurant is of good quality, it should work. Columbia has the demographics in place to support a restaurant at this price point. As I said earlier, we heard the same arguments from people in Charlotte when the demographics were clearly in support of higher end retail.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
There are a coule of differences between York and Greenville:

1. York is growing twice the rate
2. People love living in Fort Mill, great quality of life with access to true big city amenities....great shopping, true professional sports, almost unlimited air travel access, multiple arts venues......you get the point
3. Part of a major national metro.

So, yes, I do fell better and judging by the number of people moving to York, they feel better as well.
Are we talking about York or Charlotte, whose growth is based completely on Charlotte? Which has gained more in raw numbers? Which county is more populated? Not just percentage. If a small town of 2000 grew by 2000, it doubled in growth. That means it will have a high percentage of growth! But it still has a long way to go to catch a city that grew by 10000 that's at 100k, for example. Why do you interject Charlotte into everything, when we talking about South Carolina? It's clear that you hate the upstate. Not sure why you use the handle GSP101 for an area you hate.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about York or Charlotte, whose growth is based completely on Charlotte? Which has gained more in raw numbers? Which county is more populated? Not just percentage. If a small town of 2000 grew by 2000, it doubled in growth. That means it will have a high percentage of growth! But it still has a long way to go to catch a city that grew by 10000 that's at 100k, for example. Why do you interject Charlotte into everything, when we talking about South Carolina? It's clear that you hate the upstate. Not sure why you use the handle GSP101 for an area you hate.
I don't hate the upstate, read some of my posts and you will understand. But, you and a few others seem preoccupied with bashing Columbia and elevating Greenville to being the envy of the Carolinas. In truth, Columbia is better off than you think and Greenville is not as good as you think.

Growth wise, you are not growing as fast as other places in SC. Sorry, it is not there, look at the numbers. With a few exceptions, growth is measured in percentage terms. And, right now, York & Richland among others are growing faster than Greenville, sorry it is a fact.

Yes, York is part of Charlotte, not a bad place to be. And, I agree, York is grwoing as a result of Charlotte, no surprise. But, people are moving there over other counties in the metro so, they are doing something right. And, York will continue to grow at a rapid pace over the next few decades.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I don't hate the upstate, read some of my posts and you will understand. But, you and a few others seem preoccupied with bashing Columbia and elevating Greenville to being the envy of the Carolinas. In truth, Columbia is better off than you think and Greenville is not as good as you think.

Growth wise, you are not growing as fast as other places in SC. Sorry, it is not there, look at the numbers. With a few exceptions, growth is measured in percentage terms. And, right now, York & Richland among others are growing faster than Greenville, sorry it is a fact.

Yes, York is part of Charlotte, not a bad place to be. And, I agree, York is grwoing as a result of Charlotte, no surprise. But, people are moving there over other counties in the metro so, they are doing something right. And, York will continue to grow at a rapid pace over the next few decades.
If you choose to ignore raw numbers, I guess you're right? Raw numbers work in our favor, percentage works in yours. But 2 is still more than 1 right, despite the starting population? I don't bash Columbia, have no reason to. I do my business in the upstate. Apparantly these companies don't use the same info you do when looking to go to an area. So, if you want to live off "my percentage is higher than yours" I guess thats good for you. I'd rather have whatever it is that's helping us land these amenities. So you win buddy.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM

12,795 posts, read 18,618,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Bad management. Make it a point to come down a lot to try the local fare. It's a foodie city.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
If you choose to ignore raw numbers, I guess you're right? Raw numbers work in our favor, percentage works in yours. But 2 is still more than 1 right, despite the starting population? I don't bash Columbia, have no reason to. I do my business in the upstate. Apparantly these companies don't use the same info you do when looking to go to an area. So, if you want to live off "my percentage is higher than yours" I guess thats good for you. I'd rather have whatever it is that's helping us land these amenities. So you win buddy.
What is the point of what you are trying desparately to say? Sorry, it is a fact, growth is measured in percentage terms. This is true for population, financial instruments, economic metrics etc.....Is that hard to understand? do you want so desparately for Greenville to be the best that you are making the numbers work in your favor similar to Enron? Look, Greenville is SC's largest county, noone is disputing that fact. But, to say that the upstate is the fastest growing metro in SC is very misleading with or without other counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area